The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

World Cup futbol ( or any soccer)

One year off…I get so stoked for World Cup that I end up taking a month off work so I can watch every game…Australia has had some good goes at it..Love their (your) teams..Australia seems to go hard at every sport they play

Canada never seems to qualify….If they would play it on an ice field we might stand a chance

Who`s a fan?

I have been a bit of a Portugal fan!!! I try to watch as much as I can

I find it hilarious when players fall and roll around as if their leg has been chopped off, and when they realize no one is watching they just get right back up and start running again

Just Giver - 16 June 2009 01:32 AM

I find it hilarious when players fall and roll around as if their leg has been chopped off, and when they realize no one is watching they just get right back up and start running again

That`s probably why you are a Portugal fan…..

Just Giver - 16 June 2009 01:32 AM

I have been a bit of a Portugal fan!!! I try to watch as much as I can

It’s only because you’re attracted to Ronaldo…

Australia have qualified… again!

A lot of my friends went to the World Cup in Germany, and I was always jealous. Most of my friends are going to South Africa… I’m trying to get there this time.

Anyone dare call a winner yet?

if it was held today spain would win with their eyes closed

see them destroy new zealand? yes i know its only nz but spain are undefeated in 30something games….hopefully they can maintain this run untill next year!

The winner will come from South America. Since 1962 the winner of world cups have alternated between Europe and South America.
Check it out….

62 - Brazil
66 -England
70 - Brazil
74 West Germany
78 - Argentina
82 - Italy
86 - Argentina
90 - West Germany
94 - Brazil
98 - France
2002 - Brazil
2006 - Italy
2010 - If history is a guide it will be Argentina or Brazil!

That is a very interesting statistic.

You can never write-off Brazil or Argentina.

rider26 - 17 June 2009 03:30 AM

That is a very interesting statistic.

You can never write-off Brazil or Argentina.

no you can`t..There`s a few teams you can never write off…

but Spain is very powerful this year I think….

Go Ireland grin

Spain are always strong, but usually under-perform in big tournaments (Euro being the exception). Thats said, there is a lot of new blood in the team and I love watching players like Fabregas, Torres, Villa, Xavi… and Casillas is a great keeper also. I like Spain, I hope they do well.

I might just cheer for Iran as long as they keep wearing their green armbands as a protest to Ahmedinejad….....

I’ve never got over the heart ache of Iran knocking us out in the final minutes to qualify for France 98.

rider26 - 18 June 2009 03:16 AM

I’ve never got over the heart ache of Iran knocking us out in the final minutes to qualify for France 98.

I was at the Tae Kwan Do World championships in 2000…The Iranians are tough tough buggers…very determined people..

Egypt beat Italy a few days back in Confederation cup…...Bwahahahahah..that made my day

Go Egypt

Not being very familiar with soccer, (or football whateva ye calls it) I just learned that the World Cup is every 4 years.
Why every 4 years - is there a yearly international finals? I’m sure there is.

When I lived near the beach, I was good friends with this family from Lebanon (refugees) they are awesome people, the 2 sons who I hung out with the most were very into soccer / futball. I watehced some with them, and it was interesting to watch it with them cause they could explain some things to me.
(kind of like the girlfriend that wants to watch American football, but has no idea of whats going on… or like when I watch NASCAR races, I like watching with my brother, who is actually into it, as he explains to me the drivers’ strategies and what’s so important about that race or that location…...)
So watching soccer / futball with my Lebanese friends it was fun… but I never knew the cup was only every 4 years.