The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

The Olympic Games - London 2012

Please keep all Olympics chat in this thread.

Is anyone watching the opening ceremony right now? Just watched the part with Rowan Atkinson. I thought it was pretty funny.

We posted this question on our Facebook page:

With man-made wave technology fast improving, should surfing be a part of The Olympic Games? Kiteboarding will be replacing windsurfing for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

Stoked that the Foxtel London app works on my tablet using my fathers account. 8 channels to choose from which I can watch directly on the tablet or connected to my TV!

I know there has been some discussion in the media over this issue in recent weeks. Do you think there should be a moment of silence for the Israeli athletes who were murdered at the Munich Olympic Games in 1972? London 2012 marks the 40 year anniversary of the tragedy and there has never been a moment of silence to remember the athletes who tragically lost their lives as Olympic athletes during the Olympic Games.

Personally I believe their memory should be honoured with a moment of silence, as this happened during the Olympic Games. These athletes would have still been alive today. What do you think? Please keep your answers on topic.

I agree with you rider, I’m shocked there has never been a minutes silence for them… You would think they def would have at the next Olympics (76)

Yeah, a demonstration of respect in the context of today’s society is always gong to be a positive example imo.

I am feeling very Olympic today!

I posted this in the EPL thread but its probably more relevant to this thread.

The olympic Football started before the opening ceremony. Japan are going to tear us to shreds in the future.

Highlights from round one
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/video/2260989864/mens-olympic-football-wrap

CRACKERS - 28 July 2012 03:01 AM

Sanka you dead man?

rider26 - 27 July 2012 08:58 PM

Is anyone watching the opening ceremony right now? Just watched the part with Rowan Atkinson. I thought it was pretty funny.

His part was the one shining light in an otherwise woefully dismal effort.

For the rest of it, Danny Boyle would’ve been better off just going with the toilet scene from Trainspotting.

I only saw the end this morning, after all the athletes were in. Opening and closing ceremonies are the worst part of the olympics. I don’t know how anyone can sit there and watch the whole thing?

Enjoyed Paul McCartney singing Hey Jude and the whole crowd singing along at the end…spose I’ll see the rowan atkinson bit on the news or something!

Just watching some of the cycling road race and remembering how sanitised the same race in Beijing was where no one was allowed on the course to cheer the riders on!!! So funny the difference between that race and this one in London where the streets are absolutely lined with spectators!!

deanobruce - 28 July 2012 04:19 AM
CRACKERS - 28 July 2012 03:01 AM

Sanka you dead man?

Kiss my lucky egg!

bracer - 28 July 2012 11:00 AM

Just watching some of the cycling road race and remembering how sanitised the same race in Beijing was where no one was allowed on the course to cheer the riders on!!! So funny the difference between that race and this one in London where the streets are absolutely lined with spectators!!

Did you see the crash just before? Imagine training for this event and that happens.

^ A mate of mine qualified for the 1996 Mountain Bike World Championship race (his first ever, and only, Worlds), and was involved in a mass crash (which took him out of the race) in the starting sprint!!!

Incidentally, Paul Rowney (another member of the Aussie team for the Worlds that year) broke his seatpost in the same crash, and raced the entire thing STANDING!!!!!!

Yeah, heartbreaking when things like that happen. Like you say, I can’t imagine what it would be like to have that happen after all the buildup and training.

Road race was sweeeet last night! Got up this morning straight away and saw the replay of the 4x100m free gold medal performance from our girls! absolutely awesome….so hoping that the men can replicate it tonight!

Watching the opals against great britain at the moment.

Saw a wee bit of gymnastics last night. Anyone see that story about the Irish kid who had been told twice that he’d never walk again?? amazing!