The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Dew Video Battle 2012

MOUNTAIN DEW PRESENTS: DEW VIDEO BATTLE 2012

The inaugural Dew Video Battle pitches teams of 2 snowboarders and one filmer against one another in a battle to create the best team video over 6 weeks. Featuring some of Down Under’s best snowboarders, teams are vying for bragging rights and $10,000 in cash.

With a contest arena, whose only boundaries are “within Australia and New Zealand”, the Dew Video Battle combines the creativity and flexibility of a filming environment that progressive snowboarding thrives on and allows the true spirit of Down Under’s snowboarding personalities to come to life.

In this online format you the audience are the judges and will help decide who wins. Each snowboard team has 6 weeks, starting June 10, to film, produce, edit and deliver the best team video possible. Once edits are complete, the team videos will be posted on the team pages below for voting. The team with the most crowd-votes will walk away with $3,000Aud. What brings this contest back to its Dew Hut Jam roots, is that a team of snowboard judges will decide the best overall team that will walk away with a cool $7,000Aud in cold hard Mt Dew cash.

All completed Team videos will be online and available for public voting from July 25, 2012 at 9am AEST. Voting will then run until 8th of August 2012 at 5pm AEST. Until then check out each teams profile below and stay tuned for updates here and on the Mt Dew Australia Facebook page.

TEAM 3CS: NICK HYNE AND LACHLAN MOORE

Nick Hyne (27yr) Tells a story about his past as well as filling us in with the details of his grandson, Lochy Moore’s (12yr) weekend visit. Telling tales of his pro model and other such glory.

Vote for Team 3CS here.

TEAM BILLABONG: CLINT ALLAN AND ROBBIE WALKER

Harvest - Clint Allan enjoys time with Robbie Walker and Good mate Jake Koia around Clints childhood stomping grounds & the Thredbo resort.

Vote for Team Billabong here.

TEAM BURTON: JYE KEARNEY AND CHRIS DE CAMPO

*I Challenge Dew -A mysterious black box appears on the door step of the Burton house early one morning. Will Jye and Chris get everything done before time runs out…*

Vote for Team Burton here.

TEAM CAPITA / UNION: NIC HARVEY AND COHEN DAVIES

ALIVE - A couple of alien snowboarders wake up to find themselves buried alive. The rest is history.

Vote for Team Capita / Union here.

TEAM DC: RYAN TIENE AND DANE TIENE

DC Pro Ryan Tiene takes his younger brother Dane, back to his grassroot spots for some backcountry and urban snowboarding in Australia.

Vote for Team DC here.

TEAM FLUX: PETE LONG AND TOM REILLY

Peter & Thomas have fun.

Vote for Team Flux here.

TEAM FYVE: STEVE PARSONS AND GREG MURRAY

J.U.M.P - Making easy stuff look hard

Vote for Team FYVE here.

TEAM K2 / RIDE: NICK WOOD AND ANDREW ROTH

Snowboarders Nick Wood & Andrew Roth.

Vote for Team K2 / Ride here.

VIDEO NOT UP YET.

TEAM NITRO: SHAUN BELMORE AND PAUL EDWARDS

2 members of the Nitro team, find some urban spots to film on a day when you wouldn’t want to be filming. They then drive for miles to hit the park at Perisher.

Vote for Team Nitro here.

TEAM NOMIS: JEREMY BURNS AND MARK AMADIO

Our edit was aimed at portraying what Snowboarding in Australia is all about. We wanted to mix in some park, mountain and Urban

Vote for Team Nomis here.

TEAM OAKLEY: MITCH ALLAN AND SCOTTY JAMES

Snowboarders Scotty James & Mitch Allan.

Vote for Team Oakley here.

VIDEO NOT UP YET.

TEAM QUIKSILVER: TOM PELLEY AND JASON MAXFIELD

ELEMENTS - Tom, Jason and their filmer Mic got out amongst the Elements and experienced the harsh and beautiful Great Dividing Range of Terra Australis.

Vote for Team Quiksilver here.

Team DC has taken out both the public and the panel vote of the inaugural 2012 Dew Video Battle to take home $10,000 cash from Mt Dew.

The DC Team video was titled: Brothers Down-Under - DC Pro Ryan Tiene takes his younger brother Dane, back to his grassroot spots for some backcountry and urban snowboarding in Australia.

We called the team first thing this morning to tell them of the news…

“Oh Booyah! 10 grand for Dane George!” Dane Tiene the younger of the brother duo claimed upon hearing the news.
“haha NO! Dane just won his yearly pay check! haha” Ryan Tiene laughed off. “I did get a few more shots so I think I’ll be getting more…”

“Na, you had four more shots… but yours went for a minute 30 and mine went for a minute..” Dane fired back.

“Oh sorry I stack clips.. haha”

It was a good start to the morning for the two brothers from Port macquarie and probably a good icing on the cake for Ryan who has recently been eleveated to the DC international pro team and is about to take off on a well deserved holiday to the Mentawai’s surfing.

“I didn’t know exactly if we would win, I know we had a chance, but I thought we had a good chance. It was actually not that awesome coming back from overseas after a long season filming and straight into 6 weeks of hard core filming. Every time it was sunny we would be out there trying to build something or hit something.” Ryan said.

For the judges, the DC team video entry was a unanimous winner out of the 10 team videos entered. The 5 panel judging team, that including Nicolas Muller, Gigi Ruff, Mel Simmons, Connor Manning and Russell Holt all voted DC in the number 1 spot for the $7,000 prize.

“Using the entire mountain and shredding what’s in front of you is the highest in my ranks”, Nicolas said. Mel Simmons, Head judge added, “A super fun edit. You propped the event & your spono. Really got out there & took full advantage of the Oz season, great terrain variety - very creative, excellent showcase of the TieneyBro’s - riding style for days & it wouldn’t be a Teine production without your trademark nudecameo thrown in for good measure… Jezza: biggest plus for me was the fact that you used barely any after affects at all in piecing this edit together. Your shots were clean. Solid effort.”

The public voting portion of the event was a much closer race, with DC sneaking over the line in the final day of voting closely edging out Team Nomis by just over 100 votes and taking home the $3,000 prize.

“We were spamming hard core - I even wrote to KFC and asked them to help” Dane said.

“I bought a DC ads on Facebook and DC posted it twice on their Facebook page and once on their DC US page which has 9 million followers. We just got as many people.” Ryan added. Explaining just how much active effort it took to promote their video enough to get the win.

When Filmer Jeremy Richardson heard the news of the teams win a few moment after he was stoked, and happy to give some credit to the other teams who made some great edits, “Did we win? Ahh sick!! I’m so stoked, I really respect what the other teams did like Team FYVE , they hit so many spot and worked their arse off and it was cool to see. But yeah we worked super hard for our video too, stoked!” Said Jeremy.

There were public winners too - everyone who voted in the 2012 Video Battle had the chance to win over $2400 in a Mt Dew Spending Spree that included 14, $100 daily prizes and one $1000 overall prize.

See you all next year.

The public voting portion of the event was a much closer race, with DC sneaking over the line in the final day of voting closely edging out Team Nomis by just over 100 votes and taking home the $3,000 prize.

“We were spamming hard core - I even wrote to KFC and asked them to help” Dane said.

haha dope!!

SO MANY amazing videos in this comp !!!

Incredible talent out there shaka