The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Video Editing and Music

How do you chose your music??

Also what are the ‘rules’??

I have a video I have edited and will upload to Vimeo and I have timed it to a whole song (not a massive artist so not sure if that is when there is issues?).

Will it get deleted?

I find YouTube will mute it, but I haven’t had a problem with Vimeo!

Choosing music, I tend to put the video together and once I have a final time for the vid I go through the songs I have around that length. I will usually put in a few songs and play it to see how it goes.

Hope that helps shaka

Vimeo is sweet!!!!! NO music will be blocked!!!!!

YouTube will block some music under licensin laws!!!!!

Vimeo is also better quality, but it will get less public traffic!!!!!

Ok coll thats what i did Blizz grin

Mizu thanks.

Less traffic means less chance ‘the company’ will notice! I just wanna show you guys!

So who do I send the emails too again?????

I tend to think about what feeling I want the movie to have, then choose a song and then edit the footage so it fits in well with the song (within my limited capabilities). I think when the editing fits well with music, it looks so much cooler!

and I have a sort of permanent list of songs in my brain, that give me certain types of feelings and that I imagine the kinds of things I’d like to edit to it and the kinds of footage I’d like to have to that music.

I actually have two playlists of tunes on my iTunes for that reason!!!!!

I do it the other way around though!!!!! I make the movie, or part way through the movie, that’s when I add the tune to suit what I have done!!!!!

If it fits, it fits, but ya can always taper/cut the music off to suit the final edit!!!!!

I’m also no professional, so it probably doesn’t matter what I do anyways!!!!! Just do what makes YOU happy!!!!! That always works!!!!!  cool smile

I had a really good idea for a song but keep thinking you guys would read too much into it!

I love my song for todays vid. Hoping you guys will too!

Sooooooooooo, where is it?????

20mins to go then posted in Perisher Thread.

I might have to watch it tomoz, oz!!!!!  cool grin

less than 5mins!

You might as well throw your edits on Vimeo and YouTube. Vimeo for sharing and showing friends, YouTube for more hits (if that’s what you want).

I’m pretty bad at choosing music for edits but I think every videographer struggles with that at some point. I think it’s best to get a feel for the mood of the video and try to pick accordingly. You can also see how long the edit it, then go into iTunes or whatever you use and rank the tracks according to time length. Go through the tracks which are roughly the right length and choose one that fits best. Probably not the best method but it’s fast and easy.

if you don’t want to take peoples music, look up creative commons Oz. Lots of music on there that people let you use/have rights to.

rider26 - 03 July 2012 12:16 AM

You can also see how long the edit it, then go into iTunes or whatever you use and rank the tracks according to time length. Go through the tracks which are roughly the right length and choose one that fits best.

That’s a really good idea!

Did we like my song choice??