The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What cars do you drive for snow

we drive the the fory down there plenty of room and comfort, no need for chains and its a subby.

Oh yeah, both my daughters have older Liberty Wagon’s as well!!!!!

Pretty economical and plenty of room in the wagon!!!!!

Billy - 17 June 2012 04:52 AM

Blizz, get onto it!! wink

We are currently looking at a Subaru XV! Great fuel efficiency and as all Subbys, is AWD.

Although I do have my eye on a 2012 Holden SV6… Hmmmm choices!!!

You do get a lot of money for your car with Holden, feels a bit nicer inside then the Suby’s do generally speaking and they cost a fair bit less for the equivalent features.  Personally I think the Holden’s look a bit better other than the WRX’s.  Suby has Holden them for drivetrain and reliability though I reckon as well as they lend themselves to snowsports a lot better

Yep as Billy has already mentioned I’ve also got a Subaru impreza. Mines a 05 model and manual. Great car for the snow, 60/40 split folding back seats and AWD so very rarely do chains need to be fitted.

My little baby finally cracked 70k on the clock last weekend on the way to Hotham. I swear 95% of the km’s on the clock that I’ve done are from trips to Hotham.

Subbies, when compared to similar sized motors actually have a little worse fuel usage, but that is put down to the AWD system!!!!!

Oh, and tyre wear is also an inherent problem with havin AWD!!!!! So ya gotta rotate/balance etc etc on a regular basis!!!!!

But Subaru’s reliability will negate the costs of theses things long term!!!!!

I take my missus ‘10 impreza to the snow, but have before (and will this week) take my 99 mitsubishi triton ute.

In the past when i went to perisher i would drive my mates 2010 subaru liberty gt b spec wagon, that thing was a weapon to drive!
Prior to being made redundant i was looking into purchasing a 2 year old wrx sti due to my love for subaru, and the fact they drive like they are on rails, but that has been put on the back burner for a while!

Check the other thread you started about the same subject.
Lots of answers in there…

Tobi - 17 June 2012 06:43 AM

My little baby finally cracked 70k on the clock last weekend on the way to Hotham. I swear 95% of the km’s on the clock that I’ve done are from trips to Hotham.

haha!

With the excel i has pay as you drive insurance and barely used the the 8k i “purchased each year. And that was with a couple of trips to Jindy each year. Sometimes I go a week without driving my car! But being more of a weekend warrior of late i got full comprehensive.

But if anyone does do under 10k a year i recommend PAYD

Honda CBR600RR. It’s great for holding multiple snowboards and you can’t get chains!

TJswish - 17 June 2012 09:22 AM

Honda CBR600RR. It’s great for holding multiple snowboards and you can’t get chains!

show me a pic of you strapping 4+ snowboards to that CBR of yours, then show up to the fields with all the rest of yours and theirs equip blank stare

Maybe not.. You could attach skis to it and ride it on the snow . . . might need a nobby rear tire tho

I got an Impreza but it’s a sedan and the back seats don’t fold.  It’s an 01 model so i don’t know about later models, but the car itself is great.  A 2 person trip to the snow is easy, the boards and skis just sit vertically instead of lying down in the seats.  Fun to drive too.
Looking to upgrade myself to something bigger… hopefully there’s a cheap Forester somewhere.
My sister had an 05 Forester XT and that thing was awesome.  If only i had the cash…

Used to have a Forester, was great to take up to the snow, that was until a P plater did this to it when it was parked out front of our house

Now I use a Volvo Cross Country. Thing is super pimpin to drive to the snow in.
Have also driven up my Twin turbo legnum. Its an all wheel drive wagon thats super thirsty on fuel but it gets you there super quick smilesmile

Subie Fozzie here - 06 model.  Really hard to fault as a snow car.  It’s a bit unrefined next to some of its high-falutin’ rivals, but really you’d have to be a whinger to complain about it.  It has good clearance for fitting chains.  This year I have gone for some non-standard tyres (Yokohama HT/S) and am keen to see how they go.

gulp
That thing turned into a mini!