The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

JAPAN 2012 / 2013

vodafone still lock their phones

ozgirl - 23 October 2012 06:29 AM
laustin_ - 23 October 2012 06:22 AM
SamNZ - 23 October 2012 05:30 AM

Also with unlocking your iPhone make sure they do it correctly. I “unlocked” mine over the phone with optus before heading to NZ, backed it up on iTunes as instructed only to find it wasn’t unlocked when we got there.

Always a good idea to chuck a mate’s sim from a different network into the phone to check!

But as I said if it is a brand new phone chances are they are no longer networked locked

iPhones are network locked via Apple!!!!!

Well that sucks for Apple users

laustin_ - 23 October 2012 06:22 AM
SamNZ - 23 October 2012 05:30 AM

The less set back you can have the better, but if your board is smaller or you’re just struggling to keep the nose up then setting it back will help as it sinks the tail and raises the nose to keep it from digging into the snow. Setting back your stance isn’t always going to cure problems like lack of float. So it’s all dependent on the shape, length and profile of the board and also how heavy you are.

Lib Tech TRS 154. FLUX TT30 bindings. 75kgs.

So i should try out zero setback to start, see how it goes and adjust from there if i’m not getting enough float?

Also with unlocking your iPhone make sure they do it correctly. I “unlocked” mine over the phone with optus before heading to NZ, backed it up on iTunes as instructed only to find it wasn’t unlocked when we got there.

For sure, that is sometimes the best - if you find you don’t need to adjust it then it’s a bonus. But I imagine a 154 board for someone of your weight will sink too much in the deeper powder. You’ll probably want to set your stance back a bit, or better yet, if you can get something closer to a 157 you’ll have an easier time and more fun.

Chur for the info on phones, my Samsung isn’t super old, it’s an unlocked Samsung Rugby originally sold by AT&T so it takes a SIM and has 3g.

3G should be sweet!

ozgirl - 23 October 2012 07:47 AM

Nah, it’s just a phone call to get it sorted!!!!!

Viber it is for me!!

Mizu Kuma - 23 October 2012 08:39 AM

So why bother locking it then?

its very easy to get it unlocked. like mizu said u just call them and they unlock it for you, the only thing u will need to restart the phone by itunes so that get unlocked.

I did it with my work iphone in 10 min and it was sorted out….

I’ll be going with my trusty combo of Viber and Skype for this trip again.

ozgirl - 23 October 2012 09:34 AM
Mizu Kuma - 23 October 2012 08:39 AM

So why bother locking it then?

Might be a way of stopping/controlling parallel importing?????

I think it’s because when you get a phone on a plan with a company they’re giving you the phone at a discounted price, therefore they want you to use it on their network. Unlocking it means you can use it on another network - most providers charge a fee for unlocking your phone before a certain time period.

Yeah but it is an apple thing…

As I said they don’t do it for other phones, it seems only apple do it.

Apple still get their money - they don’t care what network you use. Especially if as it is said above you can call the network (from the store before you have even left with your purchase, if you want it seems) and have it unlocked??? Weird!

Like I said, it’s probably to stop someone from bringing in a boat load of iPhones from another country and selling them to use over here!!!!!

If Apple lock their phones, they have some control over this!!!!!

Similar to DVD Region Codes!!!!!

But you can unlock 5mins later????????