The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Hotham 2012

Hahaha i recently underwent some extreme dieting

A little more snow smile

Overnight snow and blue skies forecast

It started to snow in the early evening at Hotham last night and the resort has been covered in 2cm fresh snow.

A cloudy day is forecast with early frost and fog which should clear into a sunny day with light to no wind. The maximum temperature is predicted to reach 1 degree.

Overnight lows dipped to -4 degrees and our snowmakers took advantage of the conditions and snow was made on the Big D, Basin, Sun Run and throughout Heavenly Valley.

The average natural snowdepth is 76cm with 80+cm in snowmaking areas. The skiing and boarding will be fantastic today with a layer of fresh snow on a solid base.

Six lifts are planned for operation today, groomer’s picks are Big D for beginners, Sundowner for intermediates and Upper Brockoff for more advanced riders.

The road is open but chains are currently being fitted to 2wd from Dungey’s Hollow to Flourbag plain.

Drift opening today, lots of other activities starting to get going for season 2012 shaka

Australia Drift and Cobungra Platter open

It was hard packed yesterday but if fresh snow and blue skies is your thing you were in for a treat. Today will be more of the same.

Yesterday Cobungra Platter poma lift opened in Dinner Plain and today we will see the Australia Drift T-bar spinning for the first time in 2012.

A mostly sunny day is expected with the temperature set to peak at 1 degree. The overnight low reached -3.6 degrees and the snowmaking team have been working throughout the night and are still hard at it making snow on the Big D, Summit Trainer, Basin, Sun Run and throughout Heavenly Valley.

Winds today will come from the northwesterly direction reaching speeds of 20 to 25km,  then tending northerly early this afternoon.

The Great Alpine Road is open and clear this morning.

Adding Cobungra Platter and The Drift to the list, eight lifts are planned for operation today. Groomer’s picks for best turns are the Big D for beginners, Sun Run for intermediated and Upper Imagine for advanced skiers and boarders.

The average natural snowdepth is 74cm with 80+cm in snowmaking areas. Due to such a great start to the 2012 snow season, Sparkling Sunset Tours presented by Brown Brothers, First Tracks on Heavenly Valley from 7.30am, Kids Snowmobiling at the Big D and the HeliLink to Falls Creek will AL L commence this Saturday, weather dependent.

Don’t forget today we have Harry the Snowdragon’s live show at 4pm at the Big D, followed by night skiing from 6.30 - 9.30pm.

For more information visit hotham.com.au

Bring it shaka

I really should stop looking at these threads when I know I’m no chance of heading up any time soon. It’s depressing.  downer

I just saw on the Snowbird facebook page that they are offering 2 nights accom and 2 day lift ticket this weekend 265 bucks!! Thats crazy cheap for peak season!!! Anyone wanna go?

“We’re on the road to Hotham”!!!!!

How long are you up there for? I’ll be up again Saturday/Sunday.

Nah, not up there!!!!! Just muckin around!!!!

My daughter texted that to me yesterday!!!!! She’s there for the season!!!!!

MEDIA RELEASE:

The good news continues to roll in from Hotham Alpine Resort with the announcement that following the recent abundant snowfalls of 70cm+, the Australia Drift T-bar started operations today for the first time in 2012. Coupled with yesterday’s opening of Dinner Plain’s Cobungra Platter lift, Hotham now has a total of eight lifts in operation.

Due to such a great start to the 2012 snow season, Hotham Alpine Resort will also be kicking off four exciting resort activities this Saturday 30 June, just in time for the school holidays:

First Tracks in Heavenly Valley will commence this Saturday from 7.30am and continue to run from Wednesday – Sunday in peak season (weather dependent). No extra cost with a valid lift pass

Hotham’s spectacular Sparkling Sunset Tours presented by Brown Brothers. Enjoy bubbles, beer and gourmet nibbles with unbroken 360 degree views of the Victorian Alps. Cost: $45 per adult, $15 per child (weather dependent)

From Saturday, guests will be able to utilise their passes at two resorts in the one day with the six minute HeliLink to Falls Creek opening for operation (weather dependent). Cost: $130 return per person. Scenic flights available for $99 per person.

To celebrate the start of the school holidays, Kids Snowmobiling will be in operation at the Big D from Saturday. Let the kids enjoy the ultimate snow thrill as they zoom around on mini snowmobiles in a safe and supervised environment (no license required). Available to kids aged 5 to 14 years (under 55kg). Cost: $15 for 15mins.

A range of other activities are on offer for school holidays including Harry Day and Harry the Snowdragon’s Birthday on July 4.

The average natural snowdepth at Hotham is currently 74cm with 80+cm in snowmaking areas. With more snowfalls expected towards the end of the week, Hotham’s on-mountain team is keeping a close eye on terrain and assessing new lift openings on a daily basis. The resort looks forward to announcing the opening of The Orchard area soon, especially with the forecast snowfalls in coming days.

awesome!  Would be fantastic to see the orchard area open this early.

Ooooh! I’d love the Orchard area open when I’m there next week!!! Fingers crossed!!!!  rocker

Hopefully we get another 20 - 30 cm out of this system, it started snowing last night.

Snow showers and first QantasLink flights

Snowflakes began to fall overnight leaving a trace of fresh snow over Hotham. Yesterday’s cloud is expected to hang around today with scattered snow showers falling above 1700 metres and gradually lowering to 1200 metres before clearing up on Tuesday. Winds are north to north-westerly with bursts of up to 50km per hour. The current temperature is -0.3 and the overnight low was -2.

Yup Azz, hopefully!!...

Okie doke now that’s just a couple of days away I’m putting the shoutout: Anyone going to be around Hotham this week? Pull a sickie Mexicans, you know you want to!!