The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Ben Stewart “original” double mctwist in the pipe

I just saw this in a LOVE/HATE post about Shaun White.
Apparently he never actually said he invented it. Everyone else did and then it got awkward for him lol.
So he said something other than “invented” I can’t remember the words he used.

Shauns was different from this one though.

Even though he didn’t personally use the word “invented”, the main point is that he was still willing to take credit for it in the mainstream media, and not set the record straight.

I hope we see a lot more SW hate in the lead up to Sochi 2014 - his nosediving credibility might actually put a boot up the arse of his PR machine, convincing him to speak up against the FIS.

Just to set the record straight regarding an inaccuracy in the article - “Faked Slopestyle injury at X-Games Colorado cause he was about to get smoked”:

Yes, he faked an injury, but no, not “cause he was about to get smoked”. The real reason was because winning X-Games slope carried with it an invitation to compete in Supernatural. He’d already declined privately, and he wanted to avoid the shame of backing out publicly.

@andy: Yeah, I’m not sure if Shaun said anything about inventing the double mac 12. And yes Shaun’s version is on the backside wall.
@chucky: What did he take credit for?

skip11 - 24 May 2012 03:42 PM

@chucky: What did he take credit for?

The mainstream media started claiming he “invented” the double mctwist in the pipe - and instead of correcting them, he just went along with it.

from an interview by the ny times after the vancouver olympics in 2010

Q.Is the quality of it at that Olympic level?

A.The wild part about that trick is that the way I’m spinning that double cork hasn’t really been done before by anyone but myself. Kevin Pearce is the only one trying something similar, in a way. He was doing a double front flip, like a 900. But to spin that way is really difficult. To get it all the way –- just to put a 12 in your run is pretty unreal. But I’ve got the double (flip) in it, so it’s pretty cool.

http://vancouver2010.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/23/shaun-white-wins-with-a-mctwist/

so, he’s not claiming he invented the double mctwist, just that he’s spinning it a different way

That’s only one article of many - but yeah, he’s definitely “spinning it”. Look at the title of the article. No, “he’s not claiming he invented the double Mctwist”, he’s letting THEM do it.

Sure, he wasn’t blatantly claiming the exact same trick - but letting the mainstream media draw incomplete conclusions is nearly as bad. All the media cared about was that it was a “double McTwist 1260”, not the small differences in the way it can be performed (technically, Ben Stewart’s trick is an alley-oop double Mctwist, not a normal double Mctwist) - and SW avoids admitting that a VERY similar trick with the SAME name HAS been performed before. With or without pickles, a Big Mac is STILL a Big Mac.

double mctwist 1260 yardy yardy yarr, hasn’t anyone told them that triples are where it’s at these days.