The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Been a bit MIA of late.

Mizu you can pick up a basic semi off road camper for around the $4000 mark from a few different retailers brand spankers.  From all my looking around I have found that the second hand market is very strong, there isn’t a hell of a lot of bargains to be had and you regularly see second handers selling for more than new cause of the fit outs that owners have done on them since they bought them with kitchen, electrical, water and gas setups etc.  They’re quicker to setup then tents and have strong aluminium poles and canvas for way better weather protection and structural stability then tents, perfect for the alpine region.  Obviously you can’t put one on your back and carry it into the backcountry but for camping at Guthega or Jindy they are perfect as well as up the north coast.

Spaz my old man has been at me for years to wear the earplugs, I have tried everything at one time or another.  After my first one I wore docs pro plugs, blutack and the silicon ones and surfed like a retard, one day after running to the bottom of Bungan I realised I forgot them but couldn’t be bothered going back up to get them.  Lo and behold I went out and surfed normally again and have never worn them since, they seem to screw with my balance pretty bad.

Yes I will be at the shred in for a yet to be determined amount of time, will see how I’m travelling with work!

Welcome back mate.

Glad you posted this as I never had any idea about potential ear problems from surfing. I’ve always worried more about my eyes from the glare and I always seem to collect half the ocean in my sinuses but now I’ll need to “consider” ear plugs.

one of my mates who surfs A LOT and has for close to ten years now is sposed to wear sunglasses in the surf. He had have an operation on one of his eyes. The white part of his eye had started to grow over the iris to try and “protect it”.  Crazy!

The eye things are called tyrigiums or something like that, thats my take at the phoenetic spelling of it anyways.  They apparently usually happen to people with lighter coloured eyes like blue or green.  I have green eyes and no dramas however a mate of mine with blue eyes has em bad.

my eyes are a dazzling shade of sapphire so i may be susceptible to that condition…

My eyes are like wild oceans of molten emerald and are quite fetching especially without the tyrigiums………………..mwhahahahahahaha!

Perhaps you could try something like these to maintain the current dazzling qualities of your eyes.

i havent surfed in about 14 months mate so i think im good!