The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

NZ 1st ever trip

Hey Guys,

Looking at heading to NZ at the end of June.

What mountain do you recomend for a good snowboard newbie and intermediate?
Wouldnt mind doing a couple mountains if possible as we are going over for about 2 weeks.

Any recomendations on accomodation would be great appreciated also!!

Thanks guys

P.S AUS SNOW SEASON IS LOOKING MIIIIIIIGHTY FINE TOO!

If your trip’s literally “at the end of June”, I’d recommend Queenstown as your safest bet. The snow can still be pretty sketchy at that time, so you’re best off playing it safe with Coronet Peak, which has the largest and most modern snowmaking facilities in New Zealand. Queenstown also offers plenty of other awesome activities if the snow really bad. There’s also the Winter Festival on at that time, which can have some fun events.

mate id seriously consider holding off till mid/late august. Your leaving yourself open to have no/little amount of snow around.

I second both Chucky and Deano, if you can hold off do so! If not go to Queenstown grin I have always wanted to go to the Winter Festival, seems like fun!

Third the decision to defer till later!!!!!

If it’s cheaper shoulder rates that ya want, go early september!!!!! Even if it doesn’t snow, there should be a good base from the peak snow months!!!!!

Plus, spring slush conditions are much more friendlier to learn/progress on, as compared to hardpack with scattered rocks, combined with low visibility that can come with winter conditions!!!!!

Just my opinion!!!!!  shaka

agreed

slush>no snow LOL

when i stayed in Queenstown I thought The Remarkables was a good intermediate area.  Also within reach of Queenstown is Cardrona which would also be good I think.

Cadrona, Remarks, Coronet Peak, Blizz’s favourite Snow Park (a must if you are at least an intermediate rider. if only beginning dont bother) Treble Cone is 45-1 hour away near Wanaka and is also a must if there is fresh snow.

Qtown is spoilt for choice mate and you can go wrong. Been there 3 times.

deanobruce - 27 April 2012 06:16 AM

Cadrona, Remarks, Coronet Peak, Blizz’s favourite Snow Park (a must if you are at least an intermediate rider. if only beginning dont bother) Treble Cone is 45-1 hour away near Wanaka and is also a must if there is fresh snow.

I think ya mean cords?????

deanobruce - 27 April 2012 06:16 AM

Yeah Snow Park is actually my favourite place in the whole world…and contrary to popular opinion, it is the perfect place to learn to snowboard. They have really, really good instructors there and the prices are way better than the other resorts. There is a whole slop on one side of the resort that barely gets used except in lessons and it is nice and wide with heaps of room to practise and hardly anyone on it.

ahh i thought it was but i had Blizz’s name in my head…

cords - 27 April 2012 08:09 AM

. . . contrary to popular opinion, it is the perfect place to learn to snowboard. They have really, really good instructors there and the prices are way better than the other resorts. There is a whole slop on one side of the resort that barely gets used except in lessons and it is nice and wide with heaps of room to practise and hardly anyone on it.

I can see how that would definitely be helpful for the first day or two of people just starting off - but anything longer than that, and people should learn to ride at regular resorts. I reckon every rider should be comfortable riding black runs before riding park.

A tip for absolute beginners - Treble Cone has a learner poma lift you can ride for free all day.

yeh sure snow park is ok for a day trip for learners, but man it would get boring doing that short run. i would much rather go to a proper resort and ride decent ength runs

as an absolute learner…talking about the unfit and not into board sports types take longer to pick it up…aka a lot of my female friends
magic carpet is often suffice for them….for at least half the day if not the whole first day

which peeves me that you would need to pay full ticket price for it at perisher for it
the magic carpet is free at remarks

humdingaling - 28 April 2012 12:58 PM

...aka a lot of my female friends

Careful there buddy!!!

Most magic carpets don’t have ticket checkers on them and pretty sure they now don’t have the RFID on them either.

Hire a car, stay in QT or Wan, and visit a new mountain each day. All have a bunny hill.