The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

MOV file editing problems

More often it’s which model camera you have.

My Canon XHA1 works fine through QuicktimePro but is too troublesome through FCP, iMovie is fine. XL1’s never had a problem, I figure it’s HD encoding as the root problem since the XL1s is SD.
Files saved on memory cards are fine, it’s capturing really high quality 1080 from tape, in it’s raw digitised state. Luckily I never have and never likely will need the absolute raw camera footage - but I know quality is being compromised from capture during Quicktime compression..

Hmmm, I ‘m not sure about youtube downloader since it’s likely to be rendering everything for youtube! Just look at the better quality Vimeo is.
But honesty consumers will never utilise the high quality in their end product so it’s probably an ok choice.

The only time consumers see true HD is when their camera is directly plugged into their HDTV via HDMI.
It’s like owning a car that does 300km/h, all you have is bragging rights but nowhere to use it.
I’ve heard different figures for home TV screen sizes (60” and up) that allow the human eye to take advantage of HD video, it looks crisper than SD no matter what screen size - but to really see the benefit….?

I’ve been shut down for making these statements for 4 years. I’m yet to hear a decent argument for consumers to have 1080 camera’s. And I own many! though 90% of the time they are set to shoot at the lowest end of HD. Consumers have driven the market to HD just like they did cassette tape, VHS and DVD. I don’t think HDdvd will survive - HD’s realm is in camera’s and cinema, Online HD is a reference to size/aspect ratio not quality since most footage has been processed, compressed and converted many times before you hit the space bar to play it.

I would like a V12 that does 300km/h to cruise to the shops but in the real world the dakdak does everything a 300km/h car can do.

:rant: