The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Skate Photos I Took Tonight

Some photos I took at the skatepark tonight. was about 8pm and just had enough light to get some snaps.
Please tell me your thoughts and which ones you think are best smile

By k2_scs at 2012-02-06
Shifty Ollie by Corey down the big 4stairs

By k2_scs at 2012-02-06

Heelflip

By k2_scs at 2012-02-06

By k2_scs at 2012-02-06

Another Heel

By k2_scs at 2012-02-06

By k2_scs at 2012-02-06

By k2_scs at 2012-02-06

By k2_scs at 2012-02-06

Kickflip

By k2_scs at 2012-02-06

By k2_scs at 2012-02-06

Gaping the Big euro down to flat

By k2_scs at 2012-02-06

They are all good, I think i like this one the best.

Open up (ie. use a lower numbered f-stop) to narrow your depth of field. This is only rough - but it should provide enough of an example of the difference it’d make:

Sick photos dude!
What camera did you use? smile

Thanks for the feed back guys smile

Brandon, I’m using a borrowed work camera. Canon 450D. Nothing to flashy. Its the predecessor to your camera I think.

Thanks chucky! I know what you mean and it does look better. You have obviously edited the picture, what tools did you use to create the effect of narrower DoF from the origional shot? And you have played with the light too?

Yep I agree = thats the best.

All the similar photos (ie of that guys facing you/us) are the best as the light is on the subject (even the ones where the heads are cropped off!

I just thought i would say for those only new to playing with cameras. that a really good feature is that you can adjust to fStop, the shutter speed etc, individually and the camera will adjust everything else around it to make the shot work. It is not as ideal as putting everything on manual but it helps you learn your camera one thing at a time.

Great work, mate. You’ve got some nice shots there. I really like the first photo as well.

Yeh this camera has that setting and I will definately play around with it a bit more next shoot.

I wish Corey (the natural stance skater) was goofy, because he was poping really high and throwing down some good tricks which was making it easier to fram him, but the light was on his back. Like I said the shots were taken between 8 and 830pm so Im suprised I managed to get this much light in them

rider26 - 06 February 2012 08:38 PM

Great work, mate. You’ve got some nice shots there. I really like the first photo as well.

Thanks mate! I like this one too. He shiftyd that ollie so much! Looking at this pick I didnt realise till afterwards how much he tweaked his tail (right foot) forward and above the nose before shiftying back to regular!

It’s still so bright at 8pm there? Damn LOL it’s usually pitch black by 7:10pm here!

This time of year the further south you head, the more sunlight you get. When I was in Tassie in Jan, We had light till 10pm. Thats why I love skating this time of year. I can go after work and still get a good session in, or if its super hot all day can go for a late session and its guarenteed to be cooler. Less people at the park too wink

Yep - i realise it was a stance thing. But that means you have to get creative. You can move so that the subject is totally backlit and get more creative with the framing of the shot and the sunset behind… If the subject is backlit they can the do tricks that would look cooler in silhouette?

Also could you have moved him to a feature that made him be in the light.

The other thing you can do to achieve Chucky’s version without Photoshop is if when you only adjust the fstop but you still need more light there should be button on you camera with +/- on it. Take your first shot and check the exposure then increase it using this button (i am remember this is what the buttonis for correctly??)

Yep I know the button. Cheers smile

One of my problems is I dont really like asking the skater to do this or that. I sort of just pulled the camera out and just started snapping him as he was doing his thing. I know the guys better now and next time will work with them to get a better shot instead of just shooting what is happening in front of me.

hey K2 can you do burst shots so you can see him rolling up and landing. Especially when they doing flip tricks down a set. it gives the view more of a picture of what the skater has done. that rail looks pretty sweet.

Yep I thought as much. They just wanted to skate right? LOL

Thats why you need to move. (or get an assistant to go with you and use a light reflector wink

It always annoys me when i stand next to people whilst taking a photo (or if i ask someone to take a photo of me) and i know darn well they are standing in a shit location. or my friend who wanted me to take a photo of her on the Kozi chair at Christmas in Portrait with her iphone… (she seriously thought she couldn’t upload landscape photos to facebook…  teacherboy )

And a good way to get them to move for you (without actually asking them) is that only take photos of the goofy guy. And if Corey then says “hey mate can you take one of me” then you can use that to lead into suggesting another feature.

Sukah - 06 February 2012 10:09 PM

hey K2 can you do burst shots so you can see him rolling up and landing. Especially when they doing flip tricks down a set. it gives the view more of a picture of what the skater has done. that rail looks pretty sweet.

Yeh would like to try some of these style shots. They are a classic type of shot for skating. This camera has a frame rate of 3.5/sec so not super fast, but may be able to get some sort of sequence shots.