The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

drc13’s Japan 2012 (Hakuba/Tokyo) Trip Report + Videos!

Woo I made the cut!! wink

Cool vid, Dave! LOVE the stack!!! 10 out of 10!! wink shaka

Billy - 03 March 2012 06:57 AM

Woo I made the cut!! wink

Cool vid, Dave! LOVE the stack!!! 10 out of 10!! wink shaka

Cheers Billy I intentionally stacked so I could test out the slow motion ohh

Of course you made the cut. In case anyone hasn’t worked it out yet Billy is the one shredding it up in the pink jacket ollie

Jordan, Pat, and Leanne also make a guest appearance. I had footage of Cam picked out as well but looking back over it looks like I forgot to slip it in teacherboy

Hi DRC, nice work mate. Hope to see you at the Shred although the snow will be no-where as good as Japan. Still I’m sure we’ll get in some good riding.

MU

MoonUnit - 03 March 2012 07:33 AM

Hi DRC, nice work mate. Hope to see you at the Shred although the snow will be no-where as good as Japan. Still I’m sure we’ll get in some good riding.

MU

Thanks MoonUnit, glad you enjoyed. Yep I’ll be at the shred (unfortunately probably only for the weekend) and looking forward to it. The snow at Japan while I was there was quite “Australian” all the more reason to head back soon for some Japow smile

Great videos, mate. The snow monkeys are super cute. Reminds me of Mika and Sauce grooming each other at the Shred. LOL

That first park looks like a lot of fun.

Hahaha nice stack! Great use of slowmo. LOL

Looks like you had a lot of fun on the slopes. Thanks for sharing it with us and cheers from the Boardworld shout-out!

And thanks, I just learned you can link to specific posts/replies and not just the page it’s on. teacherboy

rider26 - 03 March 2012 09:53 PM

Great videos, mate. The snow monkeys are super cute. Reminds me of Mika and Sauce grooming each other at the Shred. LOL

Looks like you had a lot of fun on the slopes. Thanks for sharing it with us and cheers from the Boardworld shout-out!

And thanks, I just learned you can link to specific posts/replies and not just the page it’s on. teacherboy

Glad you enjoyed the videos and the sneaky boardworld shout-out at the end. I’ve already been asked by a couple of people what it is.

I’ve been loving your whistler edits as well so keep them coming. Out of interest what resolution/framerate have you been shooting in on the gopro and what software do you use to edit?

Haha imagine how efficient your next 10000 posts are going to be now that you can link posts properly!

I went the r5 setting on the gopro - 1080p 30fps but a lot of people go 720p 60fps so they can slowmo better smile

I always use r4, cause it gives a broader view which makes editin easier!!!!!

Thanks guys. The reason I ask is I’ve been shooting in 720p@60fps on the drift but then had a nightmare of a time with youtube and vimeo with 60fps with the results coming out below par in quality/smoothness.

I was considering taking the jump up to 1080p which would mean shooting in 30fps

Mizu from my quick google R4 = 960p@30fps?

That’s the one!!!!!  shaka

Mizu Kuma - 05 March 2012 12:45 AM

Ok nice one, I was impressed with the quality of your video so might try 30fps next time.

drc13 - 04 March 2012 08:53 PM
rider26 - 03 March 2012 09:53 PM

Glad you enjoyed the videos and the sneaky boardworld shout-out at the end. I’ve already been asked by a couple of people what it is.

I’ve been loving your whistler edits as well so keep them coming. Out of interest what resolution/framerate have you been shooting in on the gopro and what software do you use to edit?

Haha imagine how efficient your next 10000 posts are going to be now that you can link posts properly!

Haha yeah I’m always learning new things about this website. Imagine how much there will be to learn when we launch the new website.  confused

I film on setting 3; 720p at 60fps. I think this works best for Vimeo and Youtube. It’s full quality for online but more frames per second, so you can do smoother slowmo. I use Final Cut Express for editing - great software and only cost about $200.

drc13 - 05 March 2012 01:02 AM
Mizu Kuma - 05 March 2012 12:45 AM

Ok nice one, I was impressed with the quality of your video so might try 30fps next time.

Thanks mate!!!!!  cool smile

I find that while I am sacrificin the quality of the slomo by not usin 60fps, I get a bigger image to work with when editin usin the 960p at 30fps!!!!!

How do you still get it to look like widescreen proportions? Surely you’re cutting off an equal amount of footage anyway?

I use Powerdirector. While it’s not the best program, it’s really easy to use and has an upload to youtube / vimeo / facebook automatically option. The new version (10) is miles ahead in regards to bugs / crashes, I didn’t have any problems with the Japan video. And I paid… ummm lets not go there raspberry