The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Boardworld Shred 2012 - Preferred Dates

Poll: Preferred week
Total Votes: 27
Prefer September 3 - 9
Prefer September 10 - 16
Can only make September 3 - 9
Can only make September 10 - 16
Put me down for both weeks
I’m easy...

Are there any other reasons for preferring the 3-9 option besides the remote possibility that the snow may be better?

I’d understand if it was, say, June going into July - but at this time of year, it’s been my experience that there’s bugger all difference between the first and second months of September.

One thing I really liked about this year’s Shred was that it was easy to find each other, and there wasn’t huge queues at lift lines. Perisher still had heaps more people than Thredbo in the third week of September, so I’d much prefer to do a ‘group’ thing during the 10-16 dates on the basis of smaller crowds alone.

..... do we need another poll? wink

Only reason I couldn’t do 10-16 is because of work… we have something already locked in in these dates.

Ive tried looking for things like the shred shed in Perisher with no luck…

Spanner in the works, but does it definitely have to be Perisher? I know they’re sponsors to BW and all… but… there are a few of us Mexicans too here now… we could alternate!

Mizu Kuma - 22 November 2011 10:51 AM

Surely there is somethin comparable to Thredbo?????

We paid $1100 for 7 nights, that included 7 breakfasts, 3 x 2 course dinners, a 7 1/2 day lift pass and an extra night stopover in Jindy on the way home!!!!! If ya started to save $30 a week from now it will all be covered!!!!!

If ya stay at The Station you will be payin $100 for the week, prob $500+ for lift passes, then food + bus/tube travel expenses as well!!!!!

Believe it or not, the benifits to stay on snow will far outweigh the extra costs!!!!!

I can only imagine how many people lose their license while drivin up the mountain!!!!! The stats would probably blow ya away!!!!!

The drink driving thing is personal/social responsibility.

However there is a compromise of sorts for anyone who’d want to spend the money - Lake Crackenback Resort. It’s right next to the Bullocks Flat Skitube (they have a free shuttle bus or it’s easily walkable) and their buffet breakfast is AWESOME. They have three bedroom houses you can rent (maybe even larger) and it’s not too far of a drive away from The Station Resort for any group activities that may take place there. If enough people wanted to take up this option, we could organise to have some ‘events’ held there instead of The Station - like a golf comp or mountain bike race maybe? I know Crackenback’s GM, so I can have a chat with him if you like?

chucky - 22 November 2011 10:36 AM
Billy - 22 November 2011 10:19 AM

oh oh  wink

I guess we could weigh up costs for both options, and rule things out… Coming from Mexico I’d love to go the whole hog and stay on mountain - so close yet so far!

You still could.

Bear in mind that Perisher’s not like other on-snow resorts as far as accommodation goes. Getting around at night from place to place is not easy, as it’s not a ‘village’ like other places - so often you’re stuck in your own lodge anyway.

Imagine if we booked out an entire lodge to ourselves?????

I’m a lot keener to trudge around from bar to bar at night in the snow, than I am to catch a bus by a certain timetable!!!!! After all, we are on holidays and schedules suck big time!!!!! They’re so much like work!!!!! (Yes, I said the four letter word!!!!!)

Billy - 22 November 2011 11:08 AM

. . . does it definitely have to be Perisher?

There’s quite a few of us who bought Perisher season passes on the basis that the Shred was to be held there. Heaps more than any other resort.

In the other direction is skirider?

Matterhorn and Coroboree do have reasonable rates and the budget accom at the Perisher Manor isn’t too bad.

Maybe it can be like the last Shred, The Station is the main location but if you want to stay on snow/somewhere else then you organise that yourself?

chucky - 22 November 2011 11:18 AM
Billy - 22 November 2011 11:08 AM

. . . does it definitely have to be Perisher?

There’s quite a few of us who bought Perisher season passes on the basis that the Shred was to be held there. Heaps more than any other resort.

Heaps more what? Yeah I guess - but we Mexicans have hero passes too, and will have to pay for perisher tix…

Heidi’s 2 bed apartments are under $4k per unit for 7nites. Everything i have been looking at is around the $1k mark per person. There are multiple Heidi’s

Mizu Kuma - 22 November 2011 11:17 AM

Imagine if we booked out an entire lodge to ourselves?????

Yeah, I thought about that too. I thought it was a good idea at first, but it’s still highly unlikely everyone could afford to stay there, so people would be separated by too great a distance.

Heidi 3 has a fold out bed - so 5 people for $3780 7 nites

Lodge 21 could be a goer!

Great value, warm lodge and only meters from shops, lifts and the Perisher Shuttle. Caters for singles, couples, family and group bookings. Stroll out of bed in the morning for a hearty Aussie breakfast then straight to the lifts.

$896 per person for 7 nites.

Those who want a cheap option can stay at Ski Rider (sorry about the name!) How late does the shuttle run between perisher and ski rider?

Or

The Royal Coachman Ski Lodge is situated in the heart of Smiggin Holes. The ideal spot for beginners to seasoned skiers and boarders. Just a short walk to the lifts giving you full access to all of the Perisher Resort.

$775 pp 7 nites

Geez we were spoilt with the shred shed in price hey….