The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Hey K2 - a RED BULL RAPIDS Boardworld team?

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=307600972586951

FLOAT YOUR BOAT AT AUSTRALIA’S FIRST RED BULL RAPIDS!

Up for a challenge? Keen to show off your inventiveness and teamwork skills while maneuvering your way down 150m of insane waterways? Welcome to Red Bull Rapids - a brand new contest inviting groups of mates to build their own rafts that are water-worthy enough to survive grade three whitewater rapids, with only the cleverest and most courageous teams set to triumph!

Red Bull Rapids challenges groups of up to six friends to design and build their very own homemade boats capable of withstanding the crazy conditions at Penrith Whitewater Rafting Stadium, NSW. The vessel that gets down the rapids the quickest (without capsizing) and has the most innovative design will be crowned winner.

The inaugural event in Australia will take place in Penrith on Sunday 4th December, with 30 spots on the water up for grabs. The triumphant team will win an awesome whitewater rafting trip worth $8,000.

The Australian event follows the international debut of Red Bull Rapids in Nottingham, UK, which took place last month with hilarious results.

To enter and gain one of the coveted 30 spots in the contest, teams must sketch a design of their proposed floating device and submit the names of their team members by Sunday 6th November. Teams must register at http://www.redbull.com.au/rapids and download the design manual. All vessels must be human powered and team members must be 16 years or over to enter.

http://www.redbull.com.au/rapids

Im keen for sure! Will have to look into it a bit more, cos either the week before or the week after I am away on our Summer Expedition (ill be whitewater rafting funnily enough) so if its the weeek after I wont be able too

Ok My expedition is the week before so can definately do! cool grin

that would be awesome!!!

Its pencilled in the diary if you guys get the team together i will be there to watch!

Yeh, who would definately like to be in for the Boardworld Team. I’ll start looking into boat designs. Wanna try to make it Boardworld related, so Snow Skate Surf, but still make a boat that is WW capable and steady steerable and can get down the fastest. I have paddled Penrith so know what it is like

How about it’s heavily branded with the Boardworld logo and web address, and the ‘crew’ wears snow gear, goggles and all?

That sounds awesome!

i am in if u guys need help

^ The aim is to get exposure for Boardworld on TV - because all the nightly news programs will cover it.

Yeh what ever the craft, was def keep for members to be in boardworld gear and goggles. Was thinking of using old skateboards or snowboards as paddles. Would have to modify them though.

Have to enter by Sunday the 6th of Nov with team members and a sketch.

K2_SnatchCrewSader - 27 October 2011 03:46 AM

. . . using old skateboards or snowboards as paddles. . .

LIKE A BOSS!

F%#K It

i will go in the boat if you need me…. But i am guessing i wont be your first choice LOL

(but if I am in it I can pretty much make sure Ch 10 air us)

Farrrrrrk! I’d be in this for sure if it was in VIC. I’d even think about heading up there for it if I wasn’t buying a house.  angry

I think it’d be great to have a BW team in this. With branding.

I’ve been to the Penrith Whitewater Stadium a few times. It’s a great venue.

I’d be drivin mate. Road trip it With me

Count me in to be on the boat if you need another person. I’d be heaps keen smile

How and where would we build our raft though? Would be great to make it to the end. Hell it would be mad fun just to participate!

Basically It is a boat of up to 6 people.
How we decide who the final six paddlers are if there is more wanting to paddle, im not sure. Can work that out later.
As for building the raft. Depends on teh design. Id be happy to make something, but thing is transport may be an issue. Start with designs and go from there. It would be handy if there was a few willing to help out with building too.

It would be great to have a team effort, even if not all get to paddle, but have a big crew of support to watch, build and paddle