The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Steve Jobs Passes Away - RIP :(

chucky - 10 October 2011 08:55 AM
deanobruce - 10 October 2011 08:42 AM

it just proves your an apple fan boi blowing up when someone questions “the leader.

You couldn’t be more wrong.

Clearly im not…its exactly what you doing

how can you miss something you never had?

Once again, wrong.

do explain…

Not trying to have a personal dig at you mate. . .

Ummmmmm, yes you are.

i actually wasnt

. . . if the most positive influence in your life is some guy you have never met, and only spoken to in a few emails if it was even him, then i feel sorry for you to be honest.

Do you understand the difference between “influence in”, and “impact on”?

i absolutely do. for me, in my life they are one and the same. if you impact on something, you influence its future….. understand?

. . . (unless im reading your post the wrong way?)

Clearly, you are.

clearly i was…

an interesting article i read the other day…

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2046237/Steve-Jobs-dead-Brilliant-yes-wasnt-Einstein.html

deanobruce - 10 October 2011 10:30 AM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2046237/Steve-Jobs-dead-Brilliant-yes-wasnt-Einstein.html

That article’s as narrow-minded as anyone who’d agree with it.

As for the rest, you’re waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy off the mark.

chucky - 10 October 2011 09:16 AM
cords - 10 October 2011 09:02 AM

If you are working with nice people and have a good life outside of work, then what you do for a job doesn’t matter in the slightest.

The average person spends around 35% of their waking life at their job. You may think that what you do in this time “doesn’t matter in the slightest”, but many sane people would disagree.

of course it matters but I’m saying that what vocation you choose doesn’t matter. I am a teacher and I love my job and I love the kids that I teach but I also know I was just as happy working as a cleaner for 5 months and snowboarding every day!
I have a wide variety of interests and can enjoy myself in many different circumstances (including periods without technology).

Does that make me insane? Pretty sure it doesn’t.

chucky - 10 October 2011 09:32 AM

One thing this thread really highlights, is the disappointing level to which modern society selfishly takes technology for granted.

We’re socially conditioned not to take our family and friends for granted, which perhaps explains some of the attitudes evident here.

Well this just shows how far apart people’s views can be. I honestly see the selfishness the other way. I think that there are soooo many people out there who DO live without this stuff (including the poor bastards in the factories making it) that to act like all our lives and happiness depend on us being able to use it is incredibly, incredibly selfish.

It amazes me how people seem to depend on these gadgets these days. It has gotten ridiculous.
I have kids in class who literally freak out at me, when I confiscate their mobiles in class and sit it on my teachers desk for the remainder of the period. They cannot go a few minutes without checking their phones!
They come up with every excuse in the book “my mum is trying to call me” etc but that doesn’t wash. Your mum can call the school and have a message delivered to you, if it is so damn important! Even though for the good of their own learning and the others around them, school rules clearly state that mobiles are not to be seen nor heard at any point in class.
Can you not see how truly ludicrous this state of affairs is? The idea that they might have to wait 30mins to read a facebook notification literally makes these kids plead, beg, yell and scream. One of my teaching mates challenged a group of highly phone dependent kids to go 2 weeks without using their phones to do anything but call and they did it and said how much less stress they felt in just that small amount of time away from it all.

So yes, I do take technology like this for granted, because I can remember that life was still enjoyable and fulfilling without it and I wouldn’t change my childhood to be like theirs for any amount of money. Also, there are so many people out there who don’t have access to this stuff that to act like my life happiness depends on it is the epitomy of first world arrogance and selfishness.

Its funny how you seem to suggest that not taking your family and friends for granted is a weird, societal quirk because when it comes down to it, they are real people and they are all you’ve got. If a fire/flood/tsunami or whatnot happens to come and destroys my house, possessions and heaven forbid my computer/phone I sure as hell wouldn’t be relying on the influence/impact that Steve Jobs had on my life to help me through it! My family and friends on the other hand are the bees knees & I’m sorry it sounds like you don’t have a good relationship with your family (many people don’t) but I’d hope you might have some friends you could rely on it times of need.

And to finish, as far as your 6 month challenge goes, to do that for the sake of a discussion on boardworld would be beyond stupid. I am saying though that if my circumstances changed and I had to go without it, I’m more than confident that I could learn to deal with it pretty fast. Also, I’m actually due for a new phone because my current one is a piece of crap (first smartphone I ever had and most definitely not apple!) and this conversation has convinced me how ridiculous all this smartphone crap is. I’ll be getting a 2nd hand handset which is not a smartphone & I’m sure it won’t even be a blip on my radar.

This thread has really got off topic but to be honest I find it more interesting for the change.  As far as doing without phones and laptops are concerned I actively seek places for holidays where my phone will not work and I don’t take my laptop.  I can and do like to go without but due to the nature of my job I generally have to be available on the phone and email through the week.  I think that for every convenience afforded by technology that Apple, Microsoft, Google etc provides, we pay for it equally with increased invasiveness into our private lives and time.  If it disappeared tomorrow I would be equally ruing the lost convenience and relishing the recouped privacy and peace.

jeepers. some one loves a rant.

cords - 10 October 2011 09:40 PM

If you are working with nice people and have a good life outside of work, then what you do for a job doesn’t matter in the slightest.

The average person spends around 35% of their waking life at their job. You may think that what you do in this time “doesn’t matter in the slightest”, but many sane people would disagree.

of course it matters but I’m saying that what vocation you choose doesn’t matter. I am a teacher and I love my job and I love the kids that I teach but I also know I was just as happy working as a cleaner for 5 months and snowboarding every day!
I have a wide variety of interests and can enjoy myself in many different circumstances (including periods without technology).

Talk is cheap. So go on then - go and work as a cleaner for 5 months (while you’re at it, do it all without your computer and smartphone) - and let’s see how ‘happy’ you are. Clearly, just like I said (and now you’ve backpedalled, and agree with me), what vocation you choose DOES matter - because, just like I implied, nobody wants to work at a job they hate.

You’ve irrefutably proven me right.

chucky - 11 October 2011 12:03 AM
cords - 10 October 2011 09:40 PM

Talk is cheap. So go on then - go and work as a cleaner for 5 months (while you’re at it, do it all without your computer and smartphone) - and let’s see how ‘happy’ you are. Clearly, just like I said (and now you’ve backpedalled, and agree with me), what vocation you choose DOES matter - because, just like I implied, nobody wants to work at a job they hate.

You’ve irrefutably proven me right.

In your own mind anyway.

Ummmmmmm, no. In reality.

Your blinkered denial doesn’t change the FACTS.

hahaha oh mate you are brightening up my day with your dribble.

Thanks

If you read what I said, just a few words on, I said the vocation you choose doesn’t matter. And also, I’m supremely confident that I could work as a cleaner for 5 months without my phone and computer. (I’ve already done the working as a cleaner part & when I wasn’t working I was snowboarding and hardly on the computer or phone anyway.)  As I said before, if I work with nice people and have a good life outside of work I know I can work in any job & be perfectly happy.

chucky - 11 October 2011 12:11 AM

Ummmmmmmm, I’m not denying anything. I merely implied that the ‘FACTs’ that are going around in your mind, seem to be rather different to the ‘facts’ in other peoples minds. Your blinkered inability to see that there is any valid opinion other than your own doesn’t change that.

deanobruce - 11 October 2011 12:14 AM

hahaha oh mate you are brightening up my day with your dribble.

The word is actually ‘drivel’.

However either, in your case, will suffice.

CRACKERS - 11 October 2011 12:29 AM
chucky - 11 October 2011 12:11 AM

Ummmmmmmm, I’m not denying anything. I merely implied that the ‘Facts’ that are going around in your mind, seem to be rather different to the ‘facts’ in other peoples minds. Your blinkered inability to see that there is any valid opinion other than your own doesn’t change that.

There’s “Facts”, there’s “valid opinion”, and there’s simply “opinion”. Evidently, you fail to comprehend the difference.

cords - 10 October 2011 10:12 PM
chucky - 10 October 2011 09:32 AM

One thing this thread really highlights, is the disappointing level to which modern society selfishly takes technology for granted.

We’re socially conditioned not to take our family and friends for granted, which perhaps explains some of the attitudes evident here.

Well this just shows how far apart people’s views can be. I honestly see the selfishness the other way. I think that there are soooo many people out there who DO live without this stuff (including the poor bastards in the factories making it) that to act like all our lives and happiness depend on us being able to use it is incredibly, incredibly selfish.

No, what’s “selfish” is to take it all for granted. You’re perfectly content using a computer made by “the poor bastards in the factories making it” to type out supercilious verbosity condemning their working conditions. Hmmmmmm, just a tad hypocritical?

Unlike many of you, I don’t take it all for granted. I genuinely appreciate the technological advances afforded to me - which is why I’m eternally grateful to the person who made it possible.

Its funny how you seem to suggest that not taking your family and friends for granted is a weird, societal quirk . . .

No, that’s not what I said. As a ‘teacher’, you should be aware of this.

And to finish, as far as your 6 month challenge goes, to do that for the sake of a discussion on boardworld would be beyond stupid.

Actually, you’d be doing it for the sake of your credibility. But you’re right, to actually go ahead with it “would be beyond stupid” - which proves my point.

You still maintain you could “work in any job & be perfectly happy”, yet the only example you chose was one which most of us would be perfectly comfortable doing. How about switching places with those “poor bastards in the factories” making our computers, and see how you go then?