The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Steve Jobs Passes Away - RIP :(

ozgirl - 06 October 2011 11:02 AM

Someone died and people are sad…. what is confusing?

No matter who the person is - it is sad that anyone dies of cancer (find a cure already!)

I don’t understand the flower shrines (donate the money instead!) building up in front of the sydney (and surely other apple stores)

ok so maybe its a bit sad and he achieved a lot…but the way people go on like they knew him and are mourning (I just happened to read this thread after seeing some crazy posts of facecrack and was more of a reaction to that) ... to me this obsession with mourning those we have never met devalues true mourning. like you said with the flower shrines donate it if you care that much.

I first used a Mac in 1984 (incidentally, it was ‘the first Mac’). I’ve never met him in person, only ever chatting via email many years ago - but Steve Jobs has been an intrinsic part of my life for 27 years, and I literally cannot think of a single person who’s made more of an impact in that time.

Chucky are you saying that no one in your life has made a bigger impact than Steve Jobs?

That is sad. I remember playing games like “where in the world is carmen san diego” on the old macs. Would have those memories if it wasn’t for Steve Jobs.

We wouldn’t be human if we didn’t show sympathy! And empathy for those he left behind… Wife, kids… Too young.

nthnbeachesguy - 06 October 2011 08:45 PM

Chucky are you saying that no one in your life has made a bigger impact than Steve Jobs?

Yeah mate, I honestly believe that nobody in that timeframe has made a bigger impact on my life. Well, Apple in general, really, but he was the driving force. It’s not that much of a stretch. In terms of lifestyle, Apple have literally shaped the way the modern world works. Whether or not an individual actually uses Apple products is irrelevant - because Apple was the inspirational force behind the ones they do use, or if not they themselves, the majority of people around them. For example, if it wasn’t for Apple, there’d be no Boardworld.

I should probably also point out, that when I first started in advertising, ‘cutting and pasting’ was literally ‘cutting’ with a blade and ‘pasting’ with adhesive. Steve Jobs changed all that, and I feel eternally privileged to have been there for the whole wild ride.

To pay tribute to Steve Jobs, here are some of his best products!

1. Apple III (1981)
- The successor to the very popular Apple II was focused on business users and priced accordingly. Unfortunately, the hardware was unreliable. Apple lost the business market to the IBM PC, launched the same year, and a rapidly expanding market of PC clones.

2. Lisa (1983)
- The first commercially produced computer with a graphical user interface cost $9995 when it was launched. It quickly fell into the shadow of the cheaper Macintosh, launched a year later.

3. NeXT Computer (1989) - Jobs’s venture after being forced out of Apple created a computer that was in many ways ahead of its time, but in the vein of the Apple III and Lisa, it was also too expensive to catch on with mainstream users.

4. Puck Mouse (1998) - The new iMac was the first major product created after Jobs’s return to Apple in 1996, and it was a big success despite its tiny, round mouse. Users couldn’t tell which way it was oriented by feel, and it tended to disappear in the cup of the hand, making it hard to use.

5. The Cube (2000) - This small desktop computer was beautifully encased in a cube of clear plastic. It won design awards but was a flop in stores because of its high price. Also, it didn’t really offer any functional benefits over other Macs. Apple’s designs are iconic, but people aren’t usually willing to pay a premium for design alone. The Cube idea lives on in the Mac Mini, a more successful but less eye-catching small Mac.

6. iTunes phone (2005) - It’s easy to forget that the iPhone wasn’t Apple’s first venture into the mobile-phone business. It formed a partnership with Motorola Inc to launch the ROKR in late 2005. As a phone, it was decent if unexciting, but as a music player, it fell far short of the iPod. It could only hold 100 songs, and transferring them from the computer was a slow process. It was also criticised for not allowing users to download music over the cellular network, a limitation that also applied to the first iPhone. Some even called the ROKR “the iPhone”.

7. Apple TV (2007) - Apple’s foray into the living room was an uncharacteristically half-hearted effort - Jobs later referred to the Apple TV as a “hobby”. It was a small box that connected to a TV and to a Mac in the home. A tiny remote allowed the owner to play music and movies from the PC on the TV. It was expensive, at $US249, and complicated to set up and use. Movies purchased from iTunes were low resolution and looked blurry on HDTV sets. In 2010, Apple introduced a much improved, cheaper Apple TV designed to connect directly to the internet.

chucky - 06 October 2011 10:48 PM
nthnbeachesguy - 06 October 2011 08:45 PM

Yeah mate, I honestly believe that nobody in that timeframe has made a bigger impact on my life. Well, Apple in general, really, but he was the driving force. It’s not that much of a stretch. In terms of lifestyle, Apple have literally shaped the way the modern world works. Whether or not an individual actually uses Apple products is irrelevant - because Apple was the inspirational force behind the ones they do use, or if not they themselves, the majority of people around them. For example, if it wasn’t for Apple, there’d be no Boardworld.

I’m not sure we are on the same page when it comes to someone having an impact in your life, personally I would rate my parents at the top of that list, their number one impact being that I have a life to live, number two is the impact they have had both positive and negative on the way I live that life.  Another big impact on my life would be surfing, I chose surfing over finishing my schooling, quite a big impact, my friends also have big impact both positive and negative.

I just find it hard to believe that in the years between 1985 and 2011 that the biggest impact on your life was Steve Jobs, isn’t that somewhat strange or maybe you’re looking at the man and what he did with rose coloured glasses.  Sure technology is impactful on your life but if it has become such a large part of your life and how you live it that you honestly believe what you posted to be true I find that strange.

Maybe I’m taking your comments out of the context you meant them in, I definitely think this off topic, might just leave it to those who want to celebrate his life and achievements.

Perhaps if I elaborated on this . . .

chucky - 06 October 2011 11:05 PM

I should probably also point out, that when I first started in advertising, ‘cutting and pasting’ was literally ‘cutting’ with a blade and ‘pasting’ with adhesive. Steve Jobs changed all that, and I feel eternally privileged to have been there for the whole wild ride.

. . . and pointed out that for as long as I can remember, my life has mostly revolved around design and typography - and noted that I have Steve Jobs (others too, of course, but he was steering the ship) to thank for enabling me to do what I do.

In terms of positive influence, my parents don’t even make the list.

chucky - 06 October 2011 01:46 PM

I first used a Mac in 1984 (incidentally, it was ‘the first Mac’). I’ve never met him in person, only ever chatting via email many years ago

You’ve talked to him??

Sc4rF4c3 - 07 October 2011 09:08 AM
chucky - 06 October 2011 01:46 PM

I first used a Mac in 1984 (incidentally, it was ‘the first Mac’). I’ve never met him in person, only ever chatting via email many years ago

You’ve talked to him??

We’ve only talked via email, not in person.

Fair enough chucky, my work life and the people who have influenced that from the point of view of the tools I use to do my job dont even figure in my thinking when it comes to making an impact on my life. Everyone has different thoughts and priorities.

too soon?  LOL