The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Can you speak in another language?

Poll: Can you speak in another language?
Total Votes: 26
Yes
No
A little bit

Just wondering if anyone speaks fluently enough to hold a conversation in a language other than English?

Oesday igpay atinlay ountcay?

^ LOL

Polish :D

Just need plenty of beers, and I’m pretty fluent in piss talk!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 26 September 2011 05:26 AM

well, judging my the quality of your posts, you must be pretty drunk all the time wink

Gamblor - 26 September 2011 05:36 AM
Mizu Kuma - 26 September 2011 05:26 AM

well, judging my the quality of your posts, you must be pretty drunk all the time wink

Completely “Shit Faced” would be the correct terminology!!!!!

Well I only know swear words haha and I talk in different accents everyday I start to lose my own.
I went through a phase where my mate and I would always talk in a English accent and it kinda stuck to us. raspberry

Ich spreche Deutsch. Aber ich kann nicht sehr gut schreiben. downer
I speak German. But I can’t write very well. downer

Can speak pretty close to fluent German, both my parents being German grin and definitely have plans to head over to Europe to shred in the not so distant future tongue rolleye

Koper - 26 September 2011 11:35 AM

Ich spreche Deutsch. Aber ich kann nicht sehr gut schreiben. downer
I speak German. But I can’t write very well. downer

Can speak pretty close to fluent German, both my parents being German grin and definitely have plans to head over to Europe to shred in the not so distant future tongue rolleye

Can I come to your place for some Schweinshaxe????  drool

lol yeah, i’ll get mum cooking.. when do you want me to pick you up from Melb. airport? rofl.. LOL

Koper - 26 September 2011 11:57 AM

lol yeah, i’ll get mum cooking.. when do you want me to pick you up from Melb. airport? rofl.. LOL

Should be there in about an hour and a quarter!!!!!  wink

My girlfriend speaks Polish, I didn’t know this until about 2 weeks into it, waking up in bed and hearing her going full tilt on the phone to her Mum, was a weird way to wake up!  Unfortunately other then being taught the proper pronunciation for several things like Mt Kosciuszko I haven’t learnt any and for some unknown reason studied Latin at school….........

Actually I pick things up here and there, I work with a French guy and constantly suprise him and myself with how much french I know, he has filled in my knowledge base with some of the good words as well.  Use to work for a south african company, I can do a good accent and used to know some of the good afrikaans words as well.  Picked up bits of deutsche working for a german company but not more than a few words, most of which could be picked up from a war movie anyway.

My husband is Swedish and I’ve spent a bit over a year over there. I can follow a conversation pretty well, read the paper and get the idea as well as watch a movie in swedish with swedish subtitles on and get pretty much all of it…my speaking isn’t as good though. Swedes are all pretty good at english and it makes it kinda difficult cos it is so easy to be lazy. I know lots of words etc but get the grammar wrong and sound like a 5 year old fairly frequently!

Practice makes perfect, though! I really enjoy learning.

Know some basic german, japanese and french…used to know a lot more but it fades if you don’t practice! Good news is that it doesn’t take too long to get back into it again if you try.

One of my friends went to Sweden as an exchange student and we went to visit him for a week there.

In the 6 months he was there, I think the only thing he learn fluently was to say “Sorry I don’t speak Swedish” lol.

Oh and I remember Tuk Tuk which means thank you?

But thier fast food restaurant “MAX” was awesome… so much better than maccas….

My mate is Japanese and his wife Australian, whenever his parents ring him, she is the one that speaks with them in fluent Japanese!!!!!

He even admits that she can speak Japanese better than he can!!!!!  LOL