The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Mt Kosciuszko TR

rider26 - 01 September 2011 04:11 AM

Kiteboarding would be unreal. One of the instructors I worked with at Thredbo in 2006 was a kiteboarding coach. He actually went out the back a few times that season. Although I didn’t get to go with him, he told me it was awesome.

It wasn’t Phil the BC guide (he skis) Phil was organising the course last year (or in ‘09). We needed to get numbers up for the certification course to be conducted here. It cost twice as much as Level 1’s, and I needed to buy a kite!

There are a large number of kiters in Thredbo - it seems very underground.

Awesome TR, can’t believe i didn’t see this til now.

Years and years ago I did the Sport and Rec Ski training camp and it was in the Sept school hols. Anyway it was pre a lot of snow making and even Cruiser chair and only the basin and Karels was open. We spent the week building kickers and hiking Signature Hill with our instructor. Don’t think we would be allowed to in this day and age.

Have always wanted to go out there again.

in 2009 and i went out skining to ramshead and had one of my best days ever on snow (and yes i have skied OS)

Signature Hill is within the resorts leased area, it’s not roped off and anyone is welcome to ride there. It is not like Stanley’s Gorge, Deadhorse Gap, below Antons.. etc… which are all roped off/ out of boundry area.

Earlier this year Kim Clifford (CEO of Thredbo) put out a media release saying they are going to put a lift up to it or into GCB.
Now that Ramshead Chair is decommissioned (It can never run again) Thredbo have a spar chairlift…... Do the math.

Generally jumps and cut-ins within the resort are frowned upon, until the last of the snow is vanishing/last week of season. This year seems a little different and I saw some lifty’s sessioning a regular end of season hit. Last year instructors were taking kids out to deadhorse gap!

More for the Trip Report (and surprise update coming)

Lisa’s photo’s
Australia’s highest air guitarist and BWM.
“party on! and be good to one another”

Lisa

Earlier in brads photo’s I describe scoping an easier line for Lisa to drop, as it turns out I didn’t send her over the easiest section and she had to negotiate a solid vertical drop that I couldn’t see.
This is her view point of me looking over the cornice.

Looking down at Brad and Chucky

Once Lisa was over the edge I dropped in and made my way to the rocks in the lower left of above photo (the bucket list rocks).

spaz is getting old
With creaking in my body and groans from my mouth (and after working then partying most the night) I woke on Wednesday hoping to find the energy to slide in the resort. Common sense convinced me a rest day was in order - I took 2 (thats when this TR was put together).

Thursday
1st day of spring

Lisa made the hike with Brad again after much bragging about feeling up to it.
I didn’t feel up to it and used my old age card (and a hangover) to make allowances for none-participation.

When arriving back that afternoon Lisa really shows off by finishing the day beating a well rested spaz 5-1 at tennis.
So what does one do when humbled by a 26 year old girl on the first day of spring? You take her out to dinner.

The only consolation was knowing after dinner Lisa fell asleep in the bath.

Friday
I took on the mountain. The mountain won - it must have thought it was a boxing match because I’m so bruised I can barely walk. On the other hand; deeper, long lasting, less physical bruising is feeling much better and even though it’s the second time this year I’m using a walking stick… what’s that saying?... “your only as old as the woman you feel”. Even an old, bruised, in need of a walking stick man like myself can feel 26.

I’m back in Thredbo next Monday to prove the grey hairs I’m finding lately are not an indication of me being over the hill - just that I better add more things to my bucket list so I can start Xing them off.

Moody ‘bucket list’ rocks.