The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Powder/Park Board?

Hey Boardworld,

Just wondering if any of you guys know of a good pow/park board you can recommend me? I was originally looking at the skate banana, but reviews and stuff have just told me other wise!

(preferably rocker or hybrid boards)

Hey Bliss,
Let’s start with weight, height and foot size. Also what type of park riding are you talking about here? Boxes/rails or booters?

C J Parker - 21 July 2011 04:26 PM

Hey Bliss,
Let’s start with weight, height and foot size. Also what type of park riding are you talking about here? Boxes/rails or booters?

Hey Cj, well I am 75kg, 175cms and I have a size US10 boot. Also with the park I’m looking to get into some jumps and mabye some boxes and rail, I also like the idea of a nice playful board. Hope that info works

If thats the case not sure what turned you off the banana, I’ve had one the last two seasons and credit it with helping me improve my riding drastically.  having said that I’m picking up a new Lib C2 T Rice today and tomorrow at Perisher I expect to be very happy!

Hey bliss,

Please read my review and finney’s review (further down) on the Chemical Storm Octorocker in this thread: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/2669/

From what you’ve described, it would be absolutely perfect. I’m more than happy to discuss other option with you, but please have a read first. I know I weigh less than you but to be honest the board was definitely on the large side of the scale for me. finney is 78kg and pretty much your height, so his review will also give you a good idea of how it performs for your weight.

Also there is a demo board in Jindabyne if you’re heading down and want to try it.

Thanks rider!
I had a solid read and this board sounds perfect but other options would be awesome aswell. I remember seeing this board at a shop in thredbo if my memory is right and from what I remember, the shape of the board really caught my eye!

I’m heading over to japan at the end of the year, so I’m looking to get a brand new stick and bindings, I’ve settled on flux ds45’s but the board I am still looking into. Also I am really interested in capita, YES and lib-tech boards so if there is a board within those brands that would suit me that would be golden, and speaking of capita, their boards have really caught my eye recently, what’s your opinion guys?

DS45 + Capita indoor survival FK

AWSM setup…i say that cause that’s what i got (minus the FK i have the cambered 08 version) lol

but dont just believe me heres a review i prepared earlier
http://www.shayboarder.com/2011/06/snowboard-review-11-12-capita-indoor-survival-fk.html

I can vouch for the K2 Parkstar as a sick board for all types of park/jibbing, from rails to booters,  carving and all mountain, and especially powder which i rode plenty of in Japan this year.
I should do a proper review write up. Will do one over the weekend and post it.
Parkstar is flat between the bindings and a mellow rocker outside your feet.

bliss - 22 July 2011 02:03 AM

Thanks rider!
I had a solid read and this board sounds perfect but other options would be awesome aswell. I remember seeing this board at a shop in thredbo if my memory is right and from what I remember, the shape of the board really caught my eye!

I’m heading over to japan at the end of the year, so I’m looking to get a brand new stick and bindings, I’ve settled on flux ds45’s but the board I am still looking into. Also I am really interested in capita, YES and lib-tech boards so if there is a board within those brands that would suit me that would be golden, and speaking of capita, their boards have really caught my eye recently, what’s your opinion guys?

Pretty sure Gamblor rides Capita, and has ridden a few of their boards. He lives and rides in Japan so should be able to give you heaps of info on how they handle.

Gamblor’s review:

Gamblor - 11 February 2011 07:48 AM

Capita BSOD

I got to ride this board one day a couple of weeks ago and I was totally blown away. I rode the 159 and it floated in the powder like a 164, was a good stiffness, had mad ollie pop and totally railed on the groomers. I hope I don’t regret ordering the totally fk’n awesome (which is supposed to be quite similar). If it isn’t, I suspect I will pick up a bsod. I normally ride 162 to 164 so I didn’t expect much from the 59, but I found that it was fine for me. It’s camber in the middle of the board, with a touch of rocker on the ends before the flatkick. It’s quite similar to camrock from YES and whatever Signal uses in I think the Omni.
Anyways, rather than reading words, check out this vid if you’re interested in it. Nothing super gnar since I didn’t have the gopro on me for the big drops, but you should be able to see the float and general ride-ability of this board.

I’m testing the YES Tasman(iac) with Camrock this coming weekend. I’ll let you know how it goes. I doubt I’ll get to test it in powder though.

What did you hear about the Skate Banana that you didn’t like?

Worth reading finney’s review of the YES Typo:

finney - 27 June 2011 11:39 AM

2011 YES typo 156

Rider: me

Rider weight: ~78g

Boot size: 10 US

Board category: All-mountain

Board size tested: 156cm

Test location: Whistler, BC

Snow conditions: everything..

Rode this board for the whole 2010/2011 season in Whistler and it’s an amazing all round board that did pretty much everything with ease. It’s a hybrid board with a mix of camber and rocker with the camber positioned between the feet and the rockered tip and tail. There are plenty of advantages in this in that not once did I catch an edge (there was maybe one or two times this happened but it was purely rider error or me being a retard haha). The rockered tip and tail really do make the board a lot more forgiving than a standard camber board but with the camber between the feet you’re able to hold a very healthy edge on the board and carve through the hardpack conditions at a decent pace with a hell of a lot of confidence. This also comes from the stiffness of the board - it’s rated as being a 7/10 in regards to stiffness so it doesn’t get much chatter at high speed like a medium to soft board would do. Over time through the season the board did definitely get a bit softer and got a bit more flex out of it which in my eyes made it even more fun to ride.

For powder riding it was also amazing with plenty of float from the rockered tip and tail, didn’t really need to lean back all that much with the rocker helping keep the nose up which kept my back leg happy for longer days on the hill and with my weight still reasonably centered meant that it was super easy to throw around for those quick turns you need in the trees. I rode the board with a centered 24.5” stance all season even in deep powder, didn’t once think about setting the stance back it floated so well and was that stable even in 30+cm of fresh snow. If you look at the video below that was shot on a 35cm day you’ll see just how well the board floats with the nose easily sitting up on top of the fresh snow which in whistler at times can be a bit wet/heavier than you get elsewhere.

When it came to drops and jumps this board was also great fun and definitely excelled in both areas with it’s stiffness as it always felt solid on landings in both powder and hardpack which was great as it always had such a solid feel which kept you filled with confidence wanting to go back and hit things over and over again.

Can’t think of much more now since it’s been a while since I’ve been riding on it but would definitely suggest this board to anyone who is still in love with camber but wants some of the freedom that rocker gives when riding powder and also being a much harder board to catch an edge on. Some of my mates have also since bought yes boards who have only been riding for a few years (week or two a season) and both commented on how good the camrock is for holding edges with a lot more confidence yet being forgiving enough in those situations where they would have previously caught an edge.

Heres a video from one powder day riding the typo in Whistler and a photo from a short trip I did to Silver Star (everybody loves an action shot with a review raspberry)

Well with the reviews, I have read on several occasions that the Skate banana is a overpriced board for its performance and it is super rough for carving which kinda got to me, but whats your opinion rider??

Also the BSOD has caught my eye since day one, i saw the video gamblor did and wow, it looks like its a niiiice ride!

If I was to order in a Capita board or any other board, do you guys know any good websites online because I have tried ebay and nothing will ship to Australia for capita! (If they also stocked Flux bindings that would definitely be a plus!)

just out of interest, as a person who is currently looking for a powder/all mtn board, how much does an octorocker cost and can we get discounts on it?

^^^ Brands like Capita are very strict about online buying. They support the local stores with good prices and great product. The price of Capita boards has dropped for the 2011/12 range in Australia, so probably worth heading to a store and seeing what they have got.
I rode the indoor survival fk in whistler last march and was well impressed. Fast and goes onto an edge really good.

riding the capita totally fk’n awesome in pow (pink nose)

you said you wanted a nice playful board. This translates to something mid-stiff with pop or soft.

First thing that came to mind was the burton sherlock. It’s a twin built for park AND pow. It has ‘side effects’ on the nose and tail which help with float in the pow, and it has flying v rocker.

In Capita, the BSOD and Totally Fk’n awesome are probably stiffer than you want. The TFA is super stiff. The BSOD is less stiff and a bit more playful but it’s still built for going fast down runs. It was awesome in the pow (when I made the vid) but not so amazing in icy conditions. The Totally FK’N awesome is a board I haven’t gotten used to yet but to me, it doesn’t live up to it’s name. It’s a good board though.

I guess Capita’s most popular freestyle deck is the Indoor Survival FK. I don’t know much about it though. I’m more interested in pow boards raspberry

oh, the gnu dirty pillow 159 is similar to the sherlock - a park board built for pow