The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Recommend me a board

Hey all,

I’m an experienced rider with oldish gear. My current ride is a 2000 Burton Custom 160 with Custom bindings. I think my riding would be described as “advanced” but by no means expert. I’ve been told I have a cruisy/laid-back carvy style. I don’t do any park, but like to carve, and be able to jump, ride up natural walls, get off into the trees (tight turns in the steeps) and maybe throw the occasional flatland trick. I want to improve my carving on the steeps, especially my turn initiation.

So, looking at gear, it seems I now have to choose between a traditional positive cambered board and a rockered board. I’ve done a lot of reading of reviews of various boards and while I’m leaning towards something with a hybrid camber (eg. LibTech TRS C2BTX, Arbor Element RX, LibTech Attack Banana), I have some doubts about the negative camber thing. It comes down to this: at the level I’m at, would I be taking my learning backwards by picking up a rockered board, ie would I be “un-teaching” myself how to carve and initiate turns properly? Are the rockered boards really intended for intermediates and people wanting to ride pow or park (not me), and would I be better learning “proper” carving on a cambered board then taking that forward into trick territory?

In answering, any board/binding set-up recommendations are welcome. An instructor recommended an Arbor Element board, some stiff Rome bindings (Arsenal) and 32 Lasher boots (if they fit).

Any comments welcome.  I have also posted this in other forums, so apologies if you’ve already seen this elsewhere.

Mud

Hey Mudhoney, welcome to Boardworld. smile

For your style of riding I would suggest a traditional cambered board. A rockered board will make turning easier; I don’t think you will ‘unlearn’ anything, but you will sacrifice performance, especially for carving.

If you are interested in a hybrid, I’d strongly recommend a hybrid with camber between the feet (rocker nose and tail). This could be a nice compromise if you want to try something different. The benefits of rocker in the nose and tail would be easier/faster turn initiation, increased float in powder, and easier / more forgiving for flatland tricks. But with the camber between your feet you’re still going to have stability, pop, and carving performance.

I wrote a review on the Signal Omni Wavelength here. Just to give you an idea of how that type of hybrid rides. In a nutshell, stick to full camber or the hybrid profile I described. I would take a look at the YES snowboards with Camrock.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, rider, I have heaps of questions!

Why do you reckon the rocker-camber-rocker is better than the C2 BTX camber-rocker-camber?  Is it because it has a more similar feel to regular camber and I guess it might be a little less prone to catching an edge?  Do you give up effective edge length by having rocker at each end?  I’m starting to lean back towards regular camber, as you suggest.  Do you reckon I’d notice much of a diff between a current cambered board and my old 2000 burton custom?

I was in a shop today and saw some Fyve boards - any opinions on those?  The sales dude was saying they’re made in one of the two big factories in the US and he reckons they ride great.  Would be nice to support an Aussie company.  Failing that, any views on Arbor Element RX and CX?

Also what height do you reckon I should be shooting for?  I’m about 177cm (5’9” i think), weigh about 72 kg.  My old custom is a 160, but I’m thinking something a tad shorter would still carve ok, maybe turn a bit quicker and be more fun to clown around on.  Would about 156cm be ok?

sorry for the question bombardment.  I really appreciate the answers.

edit: that Signal Omni looks good, although I’ve read some comments about the top layer of fibreglass delaminating and getting damaged easily.

Mud

Mudhoney - 18 July 2011 10:55 AM

Why do you reckon the rocker-camber-rocker is better than the C2 BTX camber-rocker-camber?  Is it because it has a more similar feel to regular camber and I guess it might be a little less prone to catching an edge?  Do you give up effective edge length by having rocker at each end?  I’m starting to lean back towards regular camber, as you suggest.

Having ridden a Yes typo for a full season I can definitely say that it’s a lot harder to catch an edge on a hybrid with the rockered tip and tail compared to a regular cambered board and although you do give up a tiny bit of the effective edge when you really dig that edge in it holds extremely well and isn’t at all washy. I did notice when I rode a rockered board i did become a touch lazy as it did tend to make initiating turns a lot easier so going by what you’re looking for I’d definitely agree with Jeremy about getting something with camber between the feet.

Also what height do you reckon I should be shooting for?  I’m about 177cm (5’9” i think), weigh about 72 kg.  My old custom is a 160, but I’m thinking something a tad shorter would still carve ok, maybe turn a bit quicker and be more fun to clown around on.  Would about 156cm be ok?

edit: that Signal Omni looks good, although I’ve read some comments about the top layer of fibreglass delaminating and getting damaged easily.

Mud

156 definitely sounds fine for you, I’m 175cm ~78kg and rode my 156 in all conditions.

I’ve written up a short review on the YES typo which you can find here.

Hope thats of some help for you.

Cheers,
Mike.

I demoed boards with camber b/ween the feet and rocker tip and tail (signal omni, rossi onemagtek, capita bsod) and found it way less catchy than traditional camber. But for carving, I like my Lib T.Rice with C2BTX more. I found boards with CamRock profile doesn’t have the rebound in and out of carve. While the C2BTX you can still pressure the tail of the board where the camber and still get a lil bit of rebound. So in short I like C2BTX more for carving and it’s what I recommend. But again you should try demo both type boards if you can =)

I’m gonna agree with skip, as I was kinda in a similar situation as yourself, (whilst I classify myself as bein a low intermediate) came off a 2006 custom 162 (my first board), onto a DC HKD 160 cambered and now onto a 161.5 T-Rice with C2 btx!!!! (I am at 86kgs)

While only just havin ridden the T-Rice for two days so far, I have found that it holds an edge as well as my cambered DC but found that it does however lack the pop that the DC has!!!! Compared to the custom both boards are stiffer, and the only thing that feels different between the DC and the Lib is that the Lib is a twin and therefore makes the nose feel a great deal shorter than the DC’s directional shape!!!!

I mainly went for the Lib as I want to learn to ride switch, and the main reason for choosin a twin!!!! As for it bein able to carve and hold an edge, you will have no problem with the C2 btx, as in my opinion will do it as good if not better than the custom, and on ice will def out perform it!!!!

Hope ya can extract somethin from that dribble!!!!

Oh yeah, and welcome to Boardworld, mud!!!!    shaka

Why do you reckon the rocker-camber-rocker is better than the C2 BTX camber-rocker-camber?  Is it because it has a more similar feel to regular camber and I guess it might be a little less prone to catching an edge?  Do you give up effective edge length by having rocker at each end?  I’m starting to lean back towards regular camber, as you suggest.  Do you reckon I’d notice much of a diff between a current cambered board and my old 2000 burton custom?

I don’t think it’s ‘better’ as such; both hybrid types have their benefits. Given what you said in your first post, I think it would be more suitable for how you want it to ride. The camber between the feet gives you stability, pop, and edge hold. That’s not to say you can’t carve with rocker between the feet hybrid, but I find they tend to be more ‘washy’ and loose. Both will work however you need to adjust your technique.

I was in a shop today and saw some Fyve boards - any opinions on those?  The sales dude was saying they’re made in one of the two big factories in the US and he reckons they ride great.  Would be nice to support an Aussie company.  Failing that, any views on Arbor Element RX and CX?

Can’t say I’ve tried either board, but Fyve and Arbor both make excellent boards.

You will be fine on a 156. It also somewhat depends on which particular board you go for and where you plan on riding it. Overall I think the 156 would be a good choice.

sorry for the question bombardment.  I really appreciate the answers.

No worries. It’s the only way to learn. smile

Thanks guys.  From what I’m reading,

camber is best for pure carving, good edge hold, good pop for ollies etc, stable when riding flat, but most prone to catching an edge

hybrid c2 btx (c-r-c) good for carving but slightly less spring out of turns that camber, best edge hold (presumably due to always being combined with magne-traction or similar), pop..?, less stable when riding flat, not prone to edge catching

hybrid camrock (r-c-r) decent for carving but a bit less spring than either camber or c2 btx, less edge hold, pop..?, riding flat..? (probably ok due to cambered middle), not prone to edge catching

So I guess I have to decide if I want to give up maximum spring while carving for less edge catching and more general fun stuff.  I’m not really troubled by edge hold at present on my old Custom.  I’m also not as worried about edge catching as I used to be.  Until a season or two ago I used to really struggle riding packed or icy cat tracks, as I would often catch an edge while riding flat.  Now I just never let the board run flat on these tracks.  Maybe it would be more an issue when I get more into jumps.  I guess I could always keep my old Custom as my carve board and get a hybrid for general foolery.

Another question, what level of stiffness should I be looking at?  From what I’ve seen in reviews, super-stiff boards like the Custom-X or Rome Anthem are only suitable for expert level riders.  I guess then I should be looking at something a bit softer, say 5-7 on the scale?

Mizu Kuma - 18 July 2011 05:31 PM

I’m gonna agree with skip, as I was kinda in a similar situation as yourself, (whilst I classify myself as bein a low intermediate) came off a 2006 custom 162 (my first board), onto a DC HKD 160 cambered and now onto a 161.5 T-Rice with C2 btx!!!! (I am at 86kgs)

Thanks, Mizu.  How is your T.Rice holding up?  I’ve read some negative comments about durability of Lib Tech boards, especially the blunts.

While only just havin ridden the T-Rice for two days so far, I have found that it holds an edge as well as my cambered DC but found that it does however lack the pop that the DC has!!!! Compared to the custom both boards are stiffer, and the only thing that feels different between the DC and the Lib is that the Lib is a twin and therefore makes the nose feel a great deal shorter than the DC’s directional shape!!!!

Mizu, the C2 makes the Trice ride shorter, not the fact that it’s a twin.

also guys, I wouldn’t go as far as saying C2 is ‘better’ than camrock. It’s all user preference. Most of these boards being discussed are quality rides. Sure, they all ride a bit differently but you’ll get used to whatever you get after a few runs.

Any aussie companies that have factories in australia??

^^ Think Jeff from Chemical Storm build them here?

Also Catalyst and Force both make them in Australia from my knowledge.

Gamblor - 19 July 2011 03:26 AM

Mizu, the C2 makes the Trice ride shorter, not the fact that it’s a twin.

oh oh

Mudhoney - 19 July 2011 03:21 AM

Thanks, Mizu.  How is your T.Rice holding up?  I’ve read some negative comments about durability of Lib Tech boards, especially the blunts.

I have only had two days on it so far, so it’s early days Mud!!!!!

Mizu are you trying to say that because it’s a twin, your stance is more centered and your nose is shorter?

Gamblor - 19 July 2011 04:48 AM

Mizu are you trying to say that because it’s a twin, your stance is more centered and your nose is shorter?

Yeah, that’s what I said!!!!!  shaka