The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What new gear have you got for this season (2011)?

petem - 08 June 2011 10:18 PM

Went and picked up my new board yesterday, got a catalyst 158 twin TV.  Got it made with camber between the feet and rockered from the feet to the ends, looks like it should be fun in deep stuff. Good to see how the boards are made to, was a pretty cool set up.
Just got a new set of union forces to go with it, cant wait to try em all out this weekend!

Got some pics petem????

Gamblor - 09 June 2011 12:30 AM
chucky - 08 June 2011 09:58 AM

I know, I chickened out a bit. I won’t get the full benefits of the NUG - but I think it’s a much beter fit for my size and style of riding.

how will you not get the full benefits of the Nug?

I probably needed to elaborate a little more. “I won’t get the full benefits of the NUG” in the manner in which it was apparently intended by Burton, but for me personally, I benefit in a different way.

The selling point of the NUG is the really short length, and 150 can’t really be considered really short when some people my height are riding around that size as their regular board. At that size it’s not the “skateboard like” play board feel that the NUG’s ride has been described as. I was told the 150 was added to the mix for people not so confident jumping in all the way with a super short board.

Still, in a way I guess you could say I’m getting the “full benefits”. I guess it’s a matter of perspective. When I was riding in Europe, I was on a 164, and I’ve been steadily going shorter ever since. I love the longer lengths, but am tired of the cumbersome feel that sometimes goes along with that. For me, the benefit of the NUG isn’t riding a really short board, but riding a much shortER board which still has the stability of the longer boards I prefer. Hopefully it’s the best of both worlds.

My new gear is on its way to me. Pics next week! I got mine from OS as I was on an extremely limited budget.

All new gear this year:

I didn’t mind spending the coin on the Vapor, but I think the c60s are a bit of a rip (even at 30% off). Only went with the 60s as I thought they would do the board justice. Board looks unreal up close!

^ The Paul Smith Vapor looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeet! I hope you’ll lock that puppy up every time you leave it somewhere!

What size boots do you wear?

niiiiiiice. board on the right is killer!

chucky - 09 June 2011 01:04 PM

^ The Paul Smith Vapor looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeet! I hope you’ll lock that puppy up every time you leave it somewhere!

Pretty much never leave my boards out of my sight. I’m a size 9, you’re welcome for test drive anytime you want if that’s where you’re going smile

the one time i didnt lock my board. a mate decided to hide it, buried the fucker around the back of blue cow cafe/bar thingo.

it was nice of them to only tell me after 20 mins of searching.

AJ2theC - 10 June 2011 01:24 AM
chucky - 09 June 2011 01:04 PM

. . . I’m a size 9, you’re welcome for test drive anytime you want if that’s where you’re going smile

Hehe, just curious actually.

I bought a used Vapor 159 (2009 model) last year, and was disappointed to find that the waist width wasn’t 249 as Burton claimed, but actually 247.5. With a size 11 boot, I was already pushing my luck (but I’d been riding a 250ww for many years without any problems) - but I rode it last Spring, and only got a tiny bit of toe drag on my back foot when carving. This year, I’ve got new shrinkage tech boots so it won’t be a problem. They’re making Vapors wider these days - is yours the 155 or 157?

I’ve got the 157. Just measured it against my 09’, wierd, the waist is the same, but under the feet would be 2-3mm wider on the 11’. Have you tried those elevated gas pedal insert things?

AJ2theC - 10 June 2011 08:21 AM

Have you tried those elevated gas pedal insert things?

I kind of made my own ‘risers’ - kind of. Nowhere near to the extent of what I could buy - I’ve just added a 3mm damping layer to the underside of my bindings.

I cut them out of really dense neoprene, and it serves a few purposes. There’s the damping - having a layer of shock absorbsion between a solid object like a binding base and your topsheet makes a noticeable difference. It stops the bindings slipping along the ICS channel, it slightly raises the base height of the bindings, and it dramatically reduces the amount of friction damage Burton bindings do to topsheets.

The Ride CAD bindings I used with my 250mm waist width Ride No.4 sat quite low to the board. I never had a problem carving with my size 11 Burton Ion boots with that board/binding combo, and with the addition of the extra 3mm, my Burton CO2 bindings are about 8-10mm higher off the board. Should be fine.

Cut up car tire tubes make a very good dampening layer - used them for years.

Just buy some Flux Bindings!!!!! They have interchangeable dampeners built in!!!!!