The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Nostradamus

Apple have recently begun investing huge $$ into cloud computing.

Then there is Google who own; google docs, google calender, facebook, youtube, picaso(?) etc etc =cloud computing

Tablet readers and online (virtual) books.

And IBM…
and…
and…
and…...

What’s the first material possession a person grabs when leaving a burning building!?!? - photos. Where do we keep all our photo’s these days - hard drives and servers.

I think in time - the first years of the 21st century - future humans will believe we lost interest in photography as fewer samples of photography have survived that time period. How many of you lost all your photos from (say..) 2001-2008 because the HD they were kept on died or you lost a memory card or it was corrupted. Compare that to how many crap photo’s have been uploaded in the last 3 years.

Know your thinking BACK UP - well yes and no. A good solar storm (radiation blast from the sun - last

good

one was 100 years ago and caused a nuclear winter) will wipe all data from all hard drives - even if buried deep underground protected by lead. (so they say)

So print - your home printer ink wont last very long but it will survive a solar storm and you’ll have something to see when electricity fails.

spaz - 18 May 2011 10:42 PM

Know your thinking BACK UP - well yes and no. A good solar storm (radiation blast from the sun - last

good

one was 100 years ago and caused a nuclear winter) will wipe all data from all hard drives - even if buried deep underground protected by lead. (so they say)

Does this apply to CD’s???? That where I keep all of my pics on!!!!! Plus the ones that we really like get put to paper and kept in an album, old fashion style!!!!!

spaz - 18 May 2011 10:42 PM

good

Spaz, have you got a link or something about this solar storm, it’s something I know sod all about and it kinda looks like i should.

They believe that we are gonna have one fairly soon I think!!!!!

But they differ in opinions as to what’s gonna happen when we do get it!!!!!

No link I’m afraid. I have such slow internet I wont even try to google search.

There are many TV programs I’ve seen about it - mostly on pay (Foxtel/Austar) - Science or Knowledge programs.

If we are still posting about this on the weekend I’ll look some info up (I’ll be off this mountain and have decent reception).

Mizu Kuma - 18 May 2011 11:01 PM

They believe that we are gonna have one fairly soon I think!!!!!

But they differ in opinions as to what’s gonna happen when we do get it!!!!!

Planes, satellites and the like are often grounded or switched off during small solar storms as the electrical system that drives them will go offline.

During previous small solar storms satellites have fallen from the sky, gone off course and malfunctioned. Solar (sun) activity is heavily monitored and we do have a decent warning of when flares happen and historical records of events that occurred on earth as the radiation passes through us and the planet.

The big one (predicted to be a 10,000 year event) is overdue and some evidence suggests it will be powerful enough to knock out the magnetic field of the earth and reverse it’s polarity.

The Nth and Sth Aurora’s are caused by solar storms.

Solar storms are a result of sun spots - google “sun spots” or “Solar Flares” for a start.