The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What was your first car?

Rockin Mizu!!!!!
Slant 6!!!!!!!!!!! - YEAH

One of my best cars was two.

I managed to come into possession of two Isuzu KB40 utes, one 2wd long wheel base 1978, the other 4x4 short wheel base 1981. I had a great tray on my current ute, a datsun something or other.

So a brief meeting over beers with two of my cousins, we decided we could make one longbase 4x4 ute, fitting the tray off the datto onto it as well.

We started on Saturday arvo at 2:00pm, removed trays off three utes, fuel tank out of two Isuzu’s cut both ute chassis in half at the exact same spot, just behind the cab, then put the longer half from the 2wd onto the 4x4 front and welded it back together. Since we had a spare fuel tank, we fitted that in as well, given me double the range. Then we also figured out if we lifted the cab 50mm we could put some descent sized tires under her as well. This involved realigning the steering column with such a high lift. A bullbar was also welded onto the front. At 6:00pm on Sunday I drove ‘Suzi” out of the shed, ready for many many 4x4 adventures.

The history of cars owned is to long…

Highlights;
Aged
16yo : (L’s) HJ 308 Premier Auto
17yo : RX4 Wagon
18yo : Kingswood Rust Wagen then an LC Torana
20yo : FJ40 landcruiser with 350chev, 500 holly, 60’ bore.
22yo : Baja beetle convertible and a Mini CooperS <Should’ve kept that (big $$ now)

But my current ride I want to be the last - I may buy something else but I’ll never sell this;
Got it for a case of beer out of a guys shed.
It was jammed in second gear.
Spent 9 months stripping it back and rebuilding.
Photobucket

When first regoed
Photobucket
^What do I think of the colour???? wink

Note the LCD between sunvisor’s
Photobucket
Dose camping well.
Photobucket
And the snow
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Handles the long hall; Syd-Melb-Syd in 2days (Albury on way back over the mountain).
Photobucket

The power plant : air cooled 2lt, efi and ignition, port/polish/micro balance/custom exhaust/deep sump - 120hp before the twin turbo’s which should take it to 150hp (first the box needs more strength). Being a VW boxer the torque is OOTW!!!! (big guess 400-600)
Photobucket

Now has WRX buckets, quickshift, 7 speaker dvd/tv system. A bit of an oil leak and needs a good service (planned to do in the next week) - so much body work and new paint need doing; in the last 6 years it’s done about 240,000km
Last winter 50,000km in 3 months.

Photobucket
Photobucket

corolla ftw

I bought my sister a Corolla then it got written off!!!!

THAT’S RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue, blue, blue.

Some peeps told me it was pale pink! But I told em….

Mizu Kuma - 18 March 2011 06:10 AM

Plenty of life left in the Subie, Billy!!!!

I had one Subie for 18 years!!!!

Yup, has been a great car, no probs! Love subarus…chuck dog, bags, snowboards straight in the back! wink

spaz, you forgot broken down on the side of the road…......

Looked lavender to me   smile

LOL

Mizu Kuma - 18 March 2011 08:31 AM
Billy - 18 March 2011 08:13 AM
Mizu Kuma - 18 March 2011 06:10 AM

Plenty of life left in the Subie, Billy!!!!

I had one Subie for 18 years!!!!

Yup, has been a great car, no probs! Love subarus…chuck dog, bags, snowboards straight in the back! wink

Was that ‘Ductape the Dog into the back’???? Or the roof racks if it’s summer!!!!

I should stick him on the roof - he makes my back seat look like a shag pile carpet with all his fur!!!!!
The bugger stepped on a spider yesterday, got bitten and couldn’t walk - 2 injections, 3 blue pills and $120 later he’s all fixed! Poor Bud Bud x

Azz - 18 March 2011 08:36 AM

spaz, you forgot broken down on the side of the road…......

Happens so often - it’s was just stopping for a breather.

It is 43 years old, wait until your 43 and see how often you need to stop for a rest while keeping up with (and often out performing) the more youthful.

Just ask Mizu, ‘68 is your vintage isn’t it???

First car was a poo brown 1987 corolla, slapped up with stickers all over it and painted hub caps. Died so many times that it wasn’t even funny.

Now I have a 2004 accent and it has been a good little beast for me.

C J Parker - 19 March 2011 07:34 AM

First car was a poo brown 1987 corolla, slapped up with stickers all over it and painted hub caps. Died so many times that it wasn’t even funny.

Now I have a 2004 accent and it has been a good little beast for me.

I would swear you were going to say you drive a Jeep, Jet ski and Scarab grin