The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Australian Invented Smart Ski Helmet

Interesting invention especially the safety features.

The first invention, the Alpine, features an in-built HD camera, GPS technology, stereo speakers and a noise-cancelling microphone which allows wearers to communicate with their friends while on the slopes. It also features impact sensors, a microcomputer and an emergency beacon.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/wearables/australian-smart-ski-helmet-attracts-global-interest-20150302-13snly.html

Attracting interest all over the world.

I think the problem with it will be cost. When you’re looking at helmets, the $1000 one with speakers / mic / shitty camera inbuilt is a bit past the budget for a lot of people.

yeah what he said ^

yea a bit pricey, but the tech is interesting. I could imagine people being willing to buy some sort of upgrade for their current gear with some of those features individually if they were priced low enough.

another thing would be to have resorts subsidize or rent out stuff like this for free, where riders can come in with their gear and add on the camera and mic etc… because if it were able to stream the video directly then the resorts could more quickly know if there was an emergency. and you could use the microphone to talk with ski patrol or something… instead of having to send someone off to find them.

Find any resort in the world (bar maybe alta and their ski supremacy bullshit) who would be willing to subsidize anything and I’ll be surprised. It’s a money making industry, not a have fun but we’ll pay for you to be extra safe industry.

Sorry but there is nobody that’d do that.

TJswish - 02 March 2015 11:01 PM

Find any resort in the world (bar maybe alta and their ski supremacy bullshit) who would be willing to subsidize anything and I’ll be surprised. It’s a money making industry, not a have fun but we’ll pay for you to be extra safe industry.

Sorry but there is nobody that’d do that.

yea good point, in the real world it’s just not worth it for 99.9% of resorts.

still I know some resorts around the world have adopted certain technology, like GPS tracking of kids though bracelets and other similar things. I think some family orientated resorts would introduce technology (maybe not this) and introduce a rental fee to make it viable. I know a lot of parents that don’t ride would want to see what their kids are up to. a live video feed with microphone would be ideal, but even taking it down some notches to GPS or to a delayed photo stream or something. it would be cool and I don’t think too far fetched… (obviously not at all resorts)

Yeah, include it as part of a child’s ticket. Would be a decent addition… and when you’re already paying $50+ for a ticket, 20 bucks extra for peace of mind won’t break the budget.

You have to remember ava gear is expensive. I remember when the rescue backpacks came out with the ABS every one said they were too expensive. Any more help in the back country is a bonus.