The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Finding the right helmet

^ Really?

I’ve never ever had problems with ice-cream headaches in most places I’ve been.(Japan, NZ, Canada.)

Maybe it’s just me. I do run mega-hot tho’. Pretty much any physical activity makes me sweat and drenches me.

I found the day it was -16c at Whis perfect, because I wasn’t sweating and I felt like it wasn’t uncomfortably cold.
Plus the reason I wear a balaclava (and I’m particular to choose what material,) is to wick the sweat off my head!
Current balaclava I have is this one:

Maybe time for me to take a look at sandboxes.
I was looking at one in 2011 when I was at NZ, but they had a 40% off the mutiny II and I got it for mega cheap:

Then I got my bern baker hardhat just to try the hardhat as it was like, under $50aud incl shipping. Can’t go wrong right?

The Mutiny is starting peel and I’ve had a few sizable knocks on it, so I think it’ll be done in the next 2 seasons, depending on where I go…

Yeh i only sweat if im riding/hiking pow. Thats about it.

I rock a black strap mask under my helmet and thats it.

I love to feel the breeze in my hair!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 23 January 2015 03:35 PM

I love to feel the breeze in my hair!!!!!

cheese

I was picturing the Simpson’s episode when homers dad sticks his head our the car and all you see his old skin pulled back. Where you referring to that Mizu

Nah, I was thinkin more about that movie where the good lookin Middle age factory worker gets the younger IT punk, and puts him in a garbage compactor!!!!!

I gave it 5 Stars!!!!!

Im running a brimmed Gyro Surface helmet.
Never had any problems with a cold head, but also usually run pretty hot as is.
Also has the adjustable inner to match your noggen perfectly.
Is a little heavier, but certainly saved my head a few times last winter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3414QB6ft0

I rock a Giro Shorty (I think?), got it in Bondi few years ago, very comfy fit and perfect with the goggles.  I have a rad facemask,; but I don’t think its ever made it out of my jacket pocket. It just doesn’t get cold enough here for that stuff, outside of stuffing my face in my jacket collar on the chair.

Got the Sandbox - Legend in colour grey, only colour way they had in stock. Fit’s really nicely and all the pads are great. Can’t wait to get out there and use it.

Cheers!

Ive got a massive scone so find it quite hard sometimes to find helmets that fit and dont feel like theyre crushing my skull. Ive been using a smith one for the last couple of seasons but due to having sandbox onboard for my park, Im taking one to japow in a few weeks to try out. Its the one with the visor and it fits my mega dome, sits really low though compared to anything else ive had though which i actually like, doesnt look like im wearing a yamaka like some helmets often do.

trentradpants - 28 January 2015 03:27 PM

Ive got a massive scone so find it quite hard sometimes to find helmets that fit and dont feel like theyre crushing my skull. Ive been using a smith one for the last couple of seasons but due to having sandbox onboard for my park, Im taking one to japow in a few weeks to try out. Its the one with the visor and it fits my mega dome, sits really low though compared to anything else ive had though which i actually like, doesnt look like im wearing a yamaka like some helmets often do.

It fits real nice and I got the yamaka from my Pro Tec. The Smith helmet have a low profile sides? I have to rock the large in the Sandbox the medium was like a turban on my melon.