The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Finding the right helmet

I can’t find a helmet that fits right :(

I have tried on numerous from Pro-Tec, Solomon, Anon, Giro, K2

I’m starting to find I have a head like a dinosaur. The helmets dig in to my forehead and then I’ll try on a larger size and it’s way to big. What are your experiences? Maybe I might try Sandbox or a Bern.

Definitely try Sandbox. I’m riding the Legend currently and I love it (photo below). Great fit, super lightweight and low profile. They also come with lots of various padding sizes so you can really customise the fit. I found this super helpful when getting it to fit perfectly. Watch out for Bern… a lot of their helmets aren’t certified, as far as I can remember.

rider26 - 20 January 2015 02:01 PM

Definitely try Sandbox. I’m riding the Legend currently and I love it. Great fit, super lightweight and low profile. They also come with lots of various padding sizes so you can really customise the fit. I found this super helpful when getting it to fit perfectly. Watch out for Bern… a lot of their helmets aren’t certified, as far as I can remember.

I’ll find a shop to try some on. I think that my best bet will be to adjust the padding to get it right.

Thanks for the heads up on the Bern might stay away from that.

Definitely try Sandbox. I’m riding the Legend currently and I love it (photo below). Great fit, super lightweight and low profile. They also come with lots of various padding sizes so you can really customise the fit. I found this super helpful when getting it to fit perfectly. Watch out for Bern… a lot of their helmets aren’t certified, as far as I can remember.

You have this one?

http://www.sandboxland.com/products/helmets/snow-helmets/legend-snow

I literally just picked up a Giro Combyn today and it has a nice feel on my head, I have a big head (like 62 i think) and the helmet sits flush with a little room to pull off a beanie underneath. I see you mentioned you did already try a Giro helmet but no go, was it a combyn or a different style? I guess they would all kinda be the same fit which is a shame.

Watch out more for the helmets with brims not being certified. The fact of the matter is that the brim is likely to the grunt of any fall and direct all that force straight into your head.

The other problem I found when I had a brimmed helmet is that there is a tiny gap between the brim and your goggles. And it funnels the wind straight up there… It’s COLD AS S***!!!! lol.

My next helmet will likely be the Sandbox Legend like Jez’s. The Sandboxes fit me well and look decent.

On that bern thing that Jez mentioned, only their “hardhats” are not certified.
I’ve got one of those, but their regular EPS are certified (the g/f has a bern with EPS.)

Their thing is that the hardhat are made of materials for taking more smaller hits, as opposed to EPS, which is what bicycle and motorcycles helmets inner linings are made of.
They have a life of about 10 years. Which just reminded me, I need to look for a new motorbike helmet.

Technically speaking, after a hard hit on the head, you need to ditch the EPS helmet as you do not know what kinda of damage the layering has had to absorb as they crumple to do it.
Funnily enough, unless the shell is visibly damaged, nobody I know does this, whether it be for motorbike riding or otherwise.

I haven’t used my bern helmet as much as my R.E.D. mutiny II helmet, so I haven’t taken a “big enough” hit to tell you how it goes. I do know that my red helmet is currently approaching its end of life, and I’ve had a few knocks that’s sent me having to recover.

Hope that helps.

bkrtron - 20 January 2015 02:09 PM

You have this one?

http://www.sandboxland.com/products/helmets/snow-helmets/legend-snow

Yep. thumbsup

Thanks for the help smile

I’ll check that out and see if my melon can take it.

I would definitely get rid of the helmet after a decent hit on it. I have known this is the case after riding dirt bikes, same principle.

Shoeless - 20 January 2015 04:19 PM

I literally just picked up a Giro Combyn today and it has a nice feel on my head, I have a big head (like 62 i think) and the helmet sits flush with a little room to pull off a beanie underneath. I see you mentioned you did already try a Giro helmet but no go, was it a combyn or a different style? I guess they would all kinda be the same fit which is a shame.

Not sure of what models. I just got to a point in store where it was one after another.

FWIW my wife just bought an Anon helmet (can’t remember model) and it has a BOA system to tighten or loosen the fit around your head so it’s size-adjustable on the fly.

Maybe worth checking out..

Seconded on going with a brimless helmet. I have a Sandbox classic one and when i bomb down the Saddle at stupid speed it tries to lift the front of the helmet and i get an icecream headache from the cold haha

^ woah, really? I’ve never had a problem with my brimmed helmet doing that, but the brim isn’t as wide as a sandbox. Actually I welcome the brim as it scoops in air and cools my sweaty head.

I dont get too sweaty so it just makes my head super cold.
That and i dont run with my chin strap tight against my chin, i had to tighten it slightly to stop this from occurring and now its annoyying

grunge - 23 January 2015 08:32 AM

^ woah, really? I’ve never had a problem with my brimmed helmet doing that, but the brim isn’t as wide as a sandbox. Actually I welcome the brim as it scoops in air and cools my sweaty head.

Haha this.. ^  I have a sandbox with a brim and its like free aircon.. (I have a full hooded facemask though… So the cool breeze is nice!) took the ear pads off straight away.. But put them back on to put music in them!
In saying that I probably cant get near the speeds that deano does… So it doesn’t affect me as much!

Yep, in Canada I had to wear a beanie under my helmet to prevent the ice cream headache…

Like h0z wearing a hooded facemask, just a single layer is enough to stop it and then it acts more like air con lol.