The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

The “Help find me a board I’m a n00b” thread.

In light of all the threads asking about what kinda boards, etc etc, I thought I should start a n00b board thread, that way all n00bs can check the resource of one thread instead of posting multiple threads. =)

IMPORTANT QUESTIONS THAT NEED ANSWERING (You don’t answer this, you will be asked this:)

1) Weight? (and height optional, if you’re extra slinky/stumpy)

2) Where are you living/Where will you be riding?

3) What’s your riding style and/or style you hope to have?

4) Are you looking for versatility, stability, ease of ride, playfulness, speeds, powder, etc?

5) What boot size are you? If you don’t have boots yet, GO SEE THE BOOT THREAD HERE.
Seriously, GET YOUR BOOT SORTED BEFORE YOUR BOARD/BINDINGS. Boots are the first thing ppl should be looking at.

6) Star Sign?

7) Are you available for dates?

JOKE!! Just answer Q’s 1-5.
Mods feel free to edit for Q’s in if required.

Can we sticky this?

But to be honest, I can guarantee 90% of the suggestion will YES boards hahah raspberry

^ and Bataleon if I’m around. LOL.

skip11 - 18 January 2015 04:06 PM

Can we sticky this?

But to be honest, I can guarantee 90% of the suggestion will YES boards hahah raspberry

Haha not always, we do like our YES boards though. And Amine, he is rad.

Haha, I do think YES boards are great and I recommend them to my friends too (my friend just bought a YES board I suggested on craigslist). But I do think we really need to suggest other brands. Take a look at most of these “what board should I get”, almost always the recommendation is overwhelmingly YES. I feel like each forum has their own brand loyalty.

Boardworld = YES, NOW (I love my NOWs)
EasyLoungin = Burton, Capita, Union
Snowboarding forum = Never summer

Neversummers are great boards, I’d totally reccommend. Also Union Bindings are some of my favs. I’m likely going to get another pair when I can afford them.

I know there is some brand loyalty but that doesn’t mean it’s the only thing we suggest lol.

Maybe add boot size/shoe size to the questions?

^ DONE. =)

@rider26 , any chance we can sticky this and the boot thread?

skip11 - 19 January 2015 04:17 AM

Haha, I do think YES boards are great and I recommend them to my friends too (my friend just bought a YES board I suggested on craigslist). But I do think we really need to suggest other brands. Take a look at most of these “what board should I get”, almost always the recommendation is overwhelmingly YES. I feel like each forum has their own brand loyalty.

Boardworld = YES, NOW (I love my NOWs)
EasyLoungin = Burton, Capita, Union
Snowboarding forum = Never summer
grunge = Bataleon, NOW.
skip11 = libtech

Fixed. lol.

TJswish - 19 January 2015 08:33 AM

Neversummers are great boards, I’d totally reccommend. Also Union Bindings are some of my favs. I’m likely going to get another pair when I can afford them.

I know there is some brand loyalty but that doesn’t mean it’s the only thing we suggest lol.

I’m pretty down with NS myself, if I didn’t have my agent rocker, I’d probably get myself an NS board.
Plus, as heavy as they are, they are near indestructible, and this is back by Yohann, saying it in his lifetime of repairing boards, he finds it the easiest to repair for the type of damage that’s given to it.
I think that says alot.

Anyways, I’m personally not beyond recommending any board to anybody, it’s whatever’s functional.
I’m a functional tech junkie.

Yeapp, I used to ride Never Summer Proto HD last season. Great board, but sold it this season. The sidecut is lil bit too tight and just a touch bit squirely than what I like. But other than that awesome board.

@grunge: Haha, I do love lib tech, except for some of their satanic graphics. They need to use better beans or different materials for their topsheet though. Chips way too easy.

Good idea for a thread, but I reckon it’s easier to cater one by one like we do now, mainly cause gear is always changing and everyone’s needs/wants can be soooo different from the next!!!!!

Plus once it gets to 100 pages, most peeps won’t/can’t be bothered to sift through all the info!!!!!

* Oh, and just my opinion (like the above is also), I hate the name “noob”!!!!! Just like Punter, Kook, Gaper, etc, etc!!!!! It kinda makes me think of people that put everyone in a “class” of person!!!!!

^ it’s only a class if you let it label you as a class. =)
There’s nothing wrong with being new, I’m new to many things boarding even with my snowboarding experience.

Plus, it’s bad enough ppl don’t search or try to find threads first, this is meant to help us help them, I feel.
Otherwise, chances are ppl wil stop and read at least the instructions so we can skip the first step of “Oh, tell us your shoe size and [other relevant info].”

Otherwise, it’ll get to the point where it’ll be weeks before any of this is answered because regulars just cbf going through the rigmarole of getting the correct info to make a decision in the first place.

That said, for now I’m happy to help on a per thread basis too. I just thought I’d make it easier for ppl.

#noOb4lyfe!!

Thing is, most that are looking for advice are gonna be those that are new to whatever they’re seeking, so no need to call them anything really?????

Like I said, it’s a good idea, but it kinda defeats the whole basis of a forum if we have a list of boards for people to go for just so they don’t find the need to interact with others on here!!!!!

Plus it’s a more personal friendlier feel if it’s a thread that’s just about them?????

I’d likin it to where when a waiter is asked about a good choice of meal in the restuarant, the waiter asks a couple of questions first before suggestin a dish to suit, as opposed to sayin “have you read the menu?”!!!!!

Noobs should go elsewhere, anyway!

This forum is for pro’s, parkrats and powder hounds only.

/sarcasm.

I thought noobs and newbs are 2 different “class” of people. I didn’t even realize this thread has the word noob in it haha. Anyways based on my playing games
noob = player who plays for a long time but still suck
newb = player who is new to the game

So a noob snowboarder maybe a guy who has ridden 100 days but still can’t do turns properly and only rides green runs.

Anyways, off topic.

lulu_in_canada - 21 January 2015 09:40 AM

Noobs should go elsewhere, anyway!

This forum is for pro’s, parkrats and powder hounds only.

/sarcasm.

Going away now. :sadface:
wink