The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Opinions on waterproof and breathability on jackets and pants?

Hey all,

Looking to get some gear for the upcoming season in whistler at the sales at the moment but a bit confused about what I should be aiming for in terms of the waterproof and breathability ratings. Ive found a few jacket and pant combos I like and they are both 10k water and 5k breath. Is that going to hold up enough or should I be aiming higher?

These in particular
https://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/6SJKMN3VI/title/sessions-men-s-vice-jacket
http://www.backcountry.com/sessions-achilles-pant-mens

I would definitely be aiming higher!

Whistler is known to get a little wet at times so 10k may not cut it on the waterproof side of things.

5k breath ability is going to get mighty uncomfy if you’re warm blooded.

I understand not all of us can afford goretex 3L gear but I’d be aiming for 15k each to start with.

I would even think about running two sets of gear if you can afford it. If your going to ride a lot, every minute you can. Keep one drying and the other on then change. Remember you should get items you can mix and match.

bkrtron - 19 September 2014 11:56 AM

I would even think about running two sets of gear if you can afford it. If your going to ride a lot, every minute you can. Keep one drying and the other on then change. Remember you should get items you can mix and match.

Just noticed he’s doing the season so good point!

While I’m at it make sure you invest in some good layers merino base is great, fleece mid works, shell outers give flexibility.

I’m with DRC on this!!!!!

Aim for a 20k jacket for Whis!!!!!

Cheers guys knew would definitely pay off asking! Will start trawling to find some suitable gear. Good point about running 2 different sets didnt even consider that, and definitely going to be on the search for decent layers!

For Whistler, aim for higher. Whistler is located in the Coast Mountains, which carry a lot of precipitation, usually. The snow is generally “wetter” than the interior. Also, with huge amounts of vertical, it can be light pow up top, and rain at the bottom—so you need to plan for the worst weather. What stuck out more than the 10K waterproofing (which is decent in most situations), was the 5K breathability. If you want to ride powder, do any sort of hiking (which you will in Whistler), you’re going to want something more breathable.

In Australia, I’m usually happy to ride anything over 8K, because our weather doesn’t often call for more. But in Whistler, I would be aiming for a minimum of 15K.

Fair call mate that makes loads of sense, don’t think I even saw a 15k Jacket in the shop I checked out today! Spose the shops down here are catering the Aussie weather, probably best just waiting it out till I get to Vancouver

Ideally, 20K or Gore-tex. Pricier but worth it for Whistler, especially if you are doing a season. This will cover you in all situations.

Managed to score a Burton 28k/20k jackets in the sales dance and going to get the pants once arrive, glad I posted this before buying anything!

thumbsup

Thanks for the update, James. Are you based in Whistler now?

Nice stuff, James!!!!! shaka

Not yet Rider, getting into Van on the 25th and then heading up the next day or two after to what I hope is a house waiting for me! Are you up there yet mate?

We are in Vancouver at the moment, hoping/planning to make the move to Whistler from November 1st.