The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Yes Jackpot or NS Proto HD?

Hey guys,

I currently own a Never Summer SL 2013 and I’m looking at getting an upgrade. I usually ride a pretty even mix of all mountain and freestyle/park (mostly jumps with some rails and boxes thrown in). I’m around intermediate level.

I’m looking at the Jackpot and the Proto HD and it seems like both are pretty evenly matched (at least as far as someone at my level can tell). Are they pretty much the same and it’ll just come down to personal taste and $?

Welcome to Boardworld, dudsies. cool smile

The boards are actually quite different. The first thing I look at is the shape and camber profile. Both boards are true twins, but the camber profile is different. I would suggest you have a read of this thread to give you an idea about the differences: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/4119/ (essentially the Proto HD is a “Type A” while the Jackpot is a “Type B”).

Personally, I would go for the Jackpot. It’s been pretty well documented here on the forums but I really like YES’s CamRock profile. In my opinion its the most versatile, high performance profile on the market. It’s super playful in the nose and tail, so great for buttering, pressing and learning new tricks, while also providing float in powder—and most importantly the camber between your feet provides stability and pop.

If you look at the Proto HD profile (below), it kind of looks like a wave, with rocker between the feet, then again in the tip and tail. I find these profiles to be a bit unpredictable and they certainly lack stability when compared to CamRock. Really, they have similar riding characteristics to a full rocker.

So there you have it. I would steer you towards the Jackpot. But you’re right, it does come down to personal preference as well. Have a read of the camber profile thread I linked above and have an honest think about how you want the board to perform.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for detailed reply rider26 I actually came across boardworld via that thread on board profiles!

I’ve not really ridden anything besides my SL so I don’t really know if I prefer a more cambered or rockered profile, and both boards are quite popular as “All Mountain Freestyle” types. From how you’ve described them I think the Jackpot sounds more like what I’m looking for if it’s the more stable of the two.

My SL is 153cm, I’m 178cm and 78kg. Not sure if I should be looking at a slightly bigger size if I get the Jackpot, especially if I’m going to be heading to Japan and the States, and therefore will be boarding in deeper powder?

No worries at all. More than happy to help.

Personally, I would get a slightly bigger size if you’re heading to Japan.

I’m 170cm / 67kg and I ride a 154 or 155 most of the time overseas (my Aussie boards are shorter). I would aim closer to the 155 mark if I were you. Some people make it work on shorter boards but I think you’re better off getting a bigger board and charging harder. Just my opinion. wink

Hmmmmmmm… camrock….. I am looking for a camrock board in the future.

As a tech junkie I like to try different boards to see what works best, and I’ve been itching to try something more cambered between the feet, as I think that’s where I’m headed

Also I’ve been keen to try a cambered mid hybrid since the mrs had her capita birds of a feather board, only thing is I’m big on picking the right graphics, and the male version being the DOA, and I’m not partial to that graphics.

But it’s good knowing that there’s another cambered mid hybrid board out there. =)

P.S. Just to get back on topic, I’d pick the jackpot, you’ve tried NS’s RC, see what a different cambered board does.
P.P.S. Altho’ I do like NS’s graphics generically (I know it’s not everybody’s cup of tea,) and as a board, they are one of the most undestructible boards out there.