The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Oakley Airbrake

Oakley has released a new goggle to the market, it is a performance goggle with interchangeable lens design.  It looks like a smart system and has the Oakley name backing it.  What are your thoughts.

http://au.oakley.com/community/posts/2725

On the eve of the Winter X Games, Oakley hosted an exclusive media event where the future of snow goggle technology was unveiled by Shaun White. Introducing Oakley Airbrake™, a performance goggle with an interchangeable lens design that helps you adapt to the environment and enjoy the best vision possible.

Airbrake features Oakley SwitchLock™ Technology which provides a fast and easy way to swap out the lens to help you adapt perfectly to any weather condition. A locking lever mechanism releases the mounted lens in the blink of an eye, and replacing the lens is as easy as placing the lens on the frame and snapping the SwitchLock™ lever shut.

The snow goggle will ship with two lens tints. Additional lens options are available, so no matter what the mountain has in mind, you’ll be able to keep up with changing light conditions and maximize both performance and safety.

Look for the all new Oakley Airbrake to be featured on some of the world’s best athletes at the Winter X Games. We have it on good word that Shaun White and Jossi Wells will be wearing them on the slopes.

The Airbrake Snow Goggle will be available in Fall 2011.

looks the goods

*Yawn*

I can switch the lenses in my EG2’s in under a minute, and I don’t need ‘switchlock’ to do it.

looks good for quick lens swaps… i wish i were able to where normal goggles. I would consider the smith I/O over these i think

changing lenses is the last thing I would want to do, no matter how easy they claim it is - I just carry a second set of goggles in my pack. No risk scratching lenses grin

If you’re scratching lenses by changing them, you’re definitely doing something wrong. I never ride inbounds with a pack or a spare lens. I pick the one I’m going to use from the carpark and stick with that. Very seldom do you have to come back to make a change.

It’s snowboardng, not rocket surgery…

I really don’t think this ‘tech’ solves most peoples issues. You still have to handle the lens, and I honestly don’t think it speeds up the changeover significantly, unless you’re missing a couple of fingers.

Enn Zed - 13 February 2011 04:37 PM

If you’re scratching lenses by changing them, you’re definitely doing something wrong. I never ride inbounds with a pack or a spare lens. I pick the one I’m going to use from the carpark and stick with that. Very seldom do you have to come back to make a change.

It’s snowboardng, not rocket surgery…

In variable conditions its nice to have the option to change goggles. I always carry a pack as I hate having stuff in my pockets when I ride grin

Fair enough. I don’t really have much on me when I ride inbounds anyway. ipod and a $20 note for if I get hungry. car key, sometimes a phone, sometimes a camera.