The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Review: Now IPO Bindings

amine - 06 August 2014 08:10 PM

Hey grunge - I am the NOW rep (I also distribute YES, JONES, SLASH) and I just wanted to thank you for your kind words about NOW.  I am so stoked that you are stoked on your NOW bindings, and for your reference, there will be some 1314 & 1415 demo bindings at “The Shred” - so please come along and try them.  (If you cant make it, just hit me up on amine(at)rush.net.au and I can certainly arrange you and your lady a demo pair - anytime, anywhere - just give me a few days notice to hook it up).  I plan on attending The Shred, but if my 11 month old daughter highjacks my plans, then I will make sure there are some NOW & YES & JONES & SLASH demo’s there for everyone to play on.  If anyone has specific requests - just hit me up!

———
CHEERS!

Hey Amine!!
I think I met you when I was popping by the Twelve boardshop the other day. I was talking to… Jamie about the Jones aviator and ultra aviator and I was the guy that was intently listening (at least I hope that’s how I came across, as I was intently listening.)
I have to be honest, I’m starting to be keen on the Jones aviator/ultra aviator right now, it seems good for where I want to be in my boarding.

Also I think a few years back you helped me out with my flux bindings too! I left my discs behind when I was in NZ and you sent me out a pair after speaking on the phone with me! So I wanna say thanks for that too! Your backing for your brands are phenomenal!!!! And I think your kind of personality is definitely what’s need to rep these brands out there.

Unfortunately I won’t be able to be at the shred. But I can tell you that chances are I will be getting next season’s offering too.
The mrs is based in Whistler, so she’ll prolly get the chance to demo the new stuff before I do.

Cheers and thanks again for being awesome! =)

Hey Grunge - oh yes I remember you.  Nice to meet you on here as well!!  And thanks for your kind words, they are much appreciated! 

If your girl is in Whistler then for sure she can grab a demo there (any issues just reach out to me or JEZ and we can steer you in the right direction)!  And FYR - we have put a few girls on next years women’s IPO this season, and the response has been overwhelming.  The smoothness & dampening really seems to make a big impression on females (even in the devoted flux / union ‘fan girls’ who normally don’t want to ride anything else).

PS - the JONES aviator is getting a really incredible reputation.  It’s a board that I am a big believer in (I think the the 3D camber profile is sensational for all mountain boards), and know that we will see lots more in this in future.  I would not hesitate in recommending this board for you - it’s a powerhouse that is actually pretty easy tpo ride!!.  The ULTRA Aviator is obviously the next step up again - its a fairly serious board.  Only 3 made it into the country this year, and my friend who owns one (the owner of NZShred in Queenstown) says its not for the faint hearted!!!!

Hey Amine, just a heads up that I wouldn’t put ya email in a post incase a bot gets hold of it!!!!!

Just edit with “at” with spaces instead of @ and it’ll be sweet!!!!!

A Mod will fix the other posts for ya!!!!!

Fixed. thumbsup

Thank you for that guys!!

On Friday I picked up my new board and NOW Select Bindings.  All set up and ready to ride - thanks Jez!!

First point.  Service.  Outstanding.  Could not be happier.  After a super frustrating experience getting a new Southern Hemi board set up that was suitable - failed in QT, failed at Hotham, frustration at an all time high - I received the assistance, advice and product availability that I required from Boardworld.  Hand delivered fully set up and ready to ride in Thredbo.

Second point.  Bindings. 
They look sexy!  Love the appearance, and they appear strong, sturdy and able to play hard.
My last pair of bindings were a high end set of SP Fastecs, I loved the convenience and performance and preferred them to ratchet bindings.  However a burial situation made me realise I needed some quick and easy release bindings.  I was looking at the new Fastecs that have quick release ratchets on the inside strap but thought I’d give the NOW a try after reading the reviews. 

The straps and ratchets are super easy to use.  No issues with the feed in (which I’ve had before - hired a tonne of different bindings/boards over the last few years for various reasons). And they do up QUICK.  I like to get in quick and do them up while standing - I think I got these done up as quick as I could get my Fastecs done up! which is pretty quick ....especially as I was doing this with a broken arm!

Toe cap - oh. My. God!  Very happy.  I’ve had issues with toe caps riding up on my boots.  That really ticks me off as I feel it really impacts performance.  Even my Fastecs would ride up occasionally.  Not once did these babies ride up or even move out of position. They were locked on!

Performance.
This is a bit harder to review for a few reasons.. It was also a new board, how much was the board, how much was the binding.  And I wasn’t riding freely - cautious with my broken arm and definitely tensing through the neck and shoulders as I had to book in for a remedial massage after 2 days because my shoulders were BURNING with the tension.
But I did notice that the energy was at the edges rather than pulling from the baseplate. You can feel it!

I really like them.  Will be taking them to Japan and swapping them to my Eminence to ride over there.  If they tick all the boxes over there I’ll leave them there and buy a new set for my SH board (which is the Yes Hel Yes).

Thanks guys.  I am a very satisfied customer and I’ve been talking to a lot of people also in the market for new gear very soon and they are all very interested in what NOW has to offer them in terms of performance.

Great news!

I knew your frustration with shopping in Aust and so glad Jez helped you out!

That’s awesome, Michelle! Thanks so much for the kind words and also for the review. I’m really stoked we were able to get you on a setup you love! grin

Hey LMB - I am so glad your stoked.  Great work JEZ.
And enjoy the spring shredding!

Hats off to Jez for being a boss.

Another happy customer with the NOW binding.. Potential for the next model I buy for sure.

I just had my first few days riding in the NOW IPO binding (along with my new YES THE GREATS).. WOW factor of 10! These bindings (and board) are amazing!! Super comfy, responsive, well made, easy to crank in and out of and easily adjustable! Not to mention the skate tech behind them! 5 star jobs guys!

To anyone looking for their next set of bindings these things will rock your world!

Hmm.. so I’ve seen the offerings for next season and I realize that it may not be posted on the boards here:
http://snowboardscatalog.com/post/81006726179/now-2015

It’s phenomenal!

I do have a Q for anyone that may be able to answer it, and it has to do with sizing.
As I’m buying a pair for the mrs when I get there for Xmas, and it seems they only have Small size only for the IPO’s and Select (can someone confirm this? Amine?) which would be better for someone that loves freeride?

Typically, I would get her a pair of Drives, as she’s a bit of a speed demon like me, but if they don’t have that in S sizing, I’m thinking the Selects, as it seems to use last year’s Drive highbacks. Opinions and advice anyone? =)

Thanks for the reviews guys.

I have been so close to pulling the trigger on a set of Now Bindings for a while now.

I finally got to ride them again at the shred and have mixed thoughts.

On the Friday I rode Lanox’s setup which was a Capita Horrorscope with Now Selects. I loved how this setup rode it was so playful (probably helped by the capitas soft flex) but what I really noticed was how it really seemed to hook into turns really quickly almost like it had a shortened sidecut radius which after getting used to was fun for getting in quick turns. This type of turning brought back memories of the first time I had demoed Now IPOs a couple of years ago on digitalreavers setup but at the time I had put that down to his NS board.

Unfortunately I was still unable to determine if the difference was due to their boards or the bindings.

Saturday morning I hung around outside Jez’s room before he eventually let me in! I grabbed a shiny set of Now IPOs (believe they are 2015 models thanks for hooking us up Amine) and bolted them to my own board (Rome Reverb)

First thing I noticed is the IPOs were noticeably tighter around my heel (medium bindings with 32 prime boots size 9) they weren’t painful but it did make it tricky strapping in at times and I worried that the heelcup would wear away at the boot.I hadn’t had this issue the day earlier in Lano’s selects.

I rode the IPOs for the day and it was a very natural transition from my bindings (rome 390 boss) but they also didn’t ride significantly differently and certainly didn’t give me the hooky turning response.

Fortunately I’m not desperate for new bindings yet think my next step will be to try to get my hands on some selects and see how I go for heel fit/turning response on my board again.

Shame you didn’t post this on the day…I’ve got the select on my board, didn’t notice any issue with the heel cup (but I’m a size smaller boot than you) - I would’ve let you take mine for a run.

LMB - 02 September 2014 01:02 PM

Shame you didn’t post this on the day…I’ve got the select on my board, didn’t notice any issue with the heel cup (but I’m a size smaller boot than you) - I would’ve let you take mine for a run.

Might have been wrong weekend LMB I was down during the first weekend of the shred appreciate the offer though, Just read your board review what a sick setup you’ve got there shaka

Jez actually had a few selects in his box of goodies but unfortunately none of them had highbacks and I wasn’t too keen on doing the top to bottom race without any! LOL