The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Looking to buy a Capita Ultrafear fk 2014 (sizing question)

Hello,
Currently there is a sale going on at my local snowboard store and they are selling the Ultrafear fk 2014 (149cm) edition but the problem is that it’s the only size they have. I know I’m looking for a short board to play playful with at the park and on runs and I was wondering if this is a little too short. Also I’m only planning on riding around Australia and NZ, I know I’m going to need a longer board for heavy pow.
I weigh at about 65kg and I’m around 170cm tall.
If this is too short then is there a better size for me and if so which one? I’ll have to make the purchase somewhere else and it’ll cost a lot more :(

Edit: Found out that it would go just past my chin, I heard that’s a good sign?

The chin thing doesn’t really make any difference, its boot size, weight, width, and the type of riding and type of snow your riding on that determine your board size   (camber also plays a part)

I’m about the same weight, but I’m 166cms.. And I ride a 145.. I have no trouble with this board, mine is a hybrid camber..  And on the odd Aussie powder day it still rides just fine…  Obviously in some where like whistler or Japan.. I might have a bit more trouble… (although my camber profile claims to really float in powder.. - my board is virtually flat to the tips then it really curves up, more so than a normal board)

I wanted a small light weight flexible board for the park, and for flat land tricks..  Sure I notice its not as fast or as stable at really high speeds.. (flatbasing down runs). But I don’t often do that so its not an issue for me.. 

I would say that size is fine for you as you want the agility and park riding..    (my other half is a bit lighter, but a bit taller and his main board is a 147 (he has a few 153/154s) but always seems to ride the 147 as he likes the playfulness.. )

*maybe wait for rider/andy or some one else to reply, as honestly I’m quite new to equipment and suggesting boards..  they might have different/ better answers for you!  smile

Oh I see. Thank you for the feedback anyway! It’s always been a dream to pick up this board and Ive been researching the crap out of it haha. really hope it all works out :D

Hey Pattyyy,

Height doesn’t mean much. Weight is the most important consideration. That said… is it too short? For Australia, no it isn’t. It will be a very fun and playful size, great in the park, for learning new tricks, etc. If that’s what you’re looking for, it should be perfect.

Obviously, there are drawbacks of getting a board on the small size. Don’t expect it to perform amazingly out of the above situations however. It won’t be as stable as a bigger board and it won’t handle powder too well, but you can’t always have it all.

If you’re stoked on the board, and you understand the performance advantages and disadvantages, I say go for it and shred the hell out of it. You’ll love it. shaka

Do it. Like Rider said, it will be great in the park, and learning new tricks, but won’t be great in pow/fresh snow. To put things into perspective I normally ride a 151, I’m 180cm tall and weigh 75kg. However, I have a 157 for pow days.

So in a way this can be my ultimate freestyle board :D
and once I finally save up enough to go say Canada or Japan etc. I can get my second board which is focused on heavy pow!
Sounds like a plan, can’t wait to pick this up and finally start shredding on my own board haha!

^^ Great idea. Let us know how you go. thumbsup