The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Who wants Shaun White to win halfpipe gold?

Meh, whatever.

I do. I hope Shaun wins gold, he’s so much better than other pipe riders. Sure, Danny or Kazu might be more stylish. So I’m sure a lot of people will disagree with me, but Shaun is the best pipe rider not even close.

I want the rider who does the best run to win.

He has reasons to be hated on. But I don’t get it when people say weird things like
“Soulless robotic gymnast style”

My question is: What do you think of Billy Morgan?

I’m kinda hoping they have the same dodgy skiers who judged slope doing pipe as well - then at least style has a chance over spin.

Well, to me, Shaun White is just another bloke. I don’t hate him, I don’t love him. If he puts down the goods on the day, credit to him, and if it’s someone else, credit to them.

What I find hard to understand is the total diatribe against him, from people who mostly wouldn’t have met him, his family, or his close buddies. Everyone is different, has a different manner, heck there are people I know who are totally differnt in real life than in their public persona. Maybe he’s not terribly switched on, maybe his brain works differently, maybe I wouldn’t want to know him once I met him, but if he wins it, and if he deserves it, I would think it was an awesome effort. In my opinion. And I’m not going to argue the point. cheese

Andy Aitken - 09 February 2014 02:56 PM

My question is: What do you think of Billy Morgan?

Pretty much meh on Billy Morgan. His path to the Olympics appears to be kind of like that of Alisa Camplin. It’s not a direction I want to see snowboarding going in.

Andy Aitken - 09 February 2014 02:56 PM

I want the rider who does the best run to win.

thumbsup

You mean Alisa Cant-move-my-face-lin? LOL

Look, if Shaun pulls the best run, they yeh he deserves to win. But I hope others throws down a better and more stylish runs and takes out 1st 2nd and 3rd

I just prefer to see good things come to good people - and especially after the monumentally selfish way he pussied out of the slope team at the last minute (so Brandon Davis had no time to make it over for qualifiers), I do NOT consider Shaun White to be a good person.

I think it’s great that the international mainstream media are reporting on Shaun White’s dog act.

Excerpts from multiple sources:

“White better win the gold in the halfpipe event or he’ll be looked at as one of the biggest disappointments of the Olympics. If he doesn’t win gold, his image will be further sullied by a selfish decision that didn’t pay off.”

“But in Sochi, White has screwed up. His explanation for pulling out of the slopestyle event — the injury risk was too great, potentially damaging chances in his signature event, the halfpipe — seems mighty fishy. It seems White knew he wasn’t going to win gold in slopestyle. He wasn’t the clear favorite coming in. So he stepped aside the day before the competition, when he could have done so weeks ago, freeing up a spot for another American. Preventing a teammate from achieving his dream is one of the worst Olympic sins.”

“I remember White once telling me his favorite thing is to show up to a halfpipe or slopestyle competition when the weather is bad, or the pipe is cut poorly, or everyone is complaining about the course — because that’s when he shines. Everyone has to ride the same course and drop into the same pipe, and he knows he is the best rider on any day, no matter the conditions. He said he smiles knowing he is in a better place mentally than everyone else. In his mind, in those moments, he has already won. Which makes it hard to believe White is pulling out of slopestyle because he is fearful of the course.”

“‘It’s pretty unfortunate that they missed their opportunity to come to the Games. So that was a pretty big blow.’ Guldemond said he was surprised White pulled out so late. ‘I knew it was coming sometime this year.’ When asked why he believe that, Guldemond answered: ‘No comment.’ Translation: White screwed another rider over.”

Yeh I agree. I dont think he displays what it means to be an Olympian.

The U.S. Olympic Movement is built on the following core values:

Excellence: Giving one’s best, on the field of play or in life
Friendship: Building a peaceful and better world through solidarity, team spirit, joy and optimism in sport
Respect: Respect for oneself and one’s body, respect for one another, for the rules as well as the environment

And the words of Pier de Couberton

“The important thing in life is not the triumph, but the
fight; the essential thing is not to have won, but
to have fought well.”

Olympic Creed
The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well.

K2_TeacherBoy - 09 February 2014 03:31 PM

You mean Alisa Cant-move-my-face-lin? LOL

Look, if Shaun pulls the best run, they yeh he deserves to win. But I hope others throws down a better and more stylish runs and takes out 1st 2nd and 3rd

Yep!!!!!

To me, one of the worst aspects of #whitegate is that the overwhelming majority of the THOUSANDS of messages of support for his deplorably selfish, cowardly decision have come from couch-bound soccer moms who have probably never even considered trying snowboarding themselves! THAT is apparently what snowboarding has become in the eyes of the ‘mainstream’! For the sake of snowboarding’s future integrity, The Flying Tampon MUST NOT win pipe!

The womens slopestyle tonight shone out for me. It showed (and hopefully to the general public) that snowboarding isnt being the best. Its about having fun and doing it with your friends. Yes they are all there to compete and do their best, but the way those girls were just stoked to be there and be riding with their friends was awesome. They even after being knocked from podium, they would still hug and high five and share the stoke for the others.

K2_TeacherBoy - 09 February 2014 11:22 PM

The womens slopestyle tonight shone out for me. It showed (and hopefully to the general public) that snowboarding isnt being the best. Its about having fun and doing it with your friends. Yes they are all there to compete and do their best, but the way those girls were just stoked to be there and be riding with their friends was awesome. They even after being knocked from podium, they would still hug and high five and share the stoke for the others.

I agree K2 they really support their scene and help each other was great to see. Their competition is really healthy.

From what I’ve read Americans aren’t that fussed on SW but what country says no to adding a medal to their tally.
In Australia we accept other nationals to win for us.

If SW rode in green and gold I would be happy for him to win.
At least the USA celebrate tall poppies instead of cutting their heads off.