The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Sochi 2014 - Snowboarding Results Thread

Also, did anyone else feel that Sina doing the first 1080 in women’s slopestyle history was worth at least a podium spot. BECAUSE I DO mad

That’s what I like about the X-Games, it’s a little more about the culture of snowboarding.
If you land a trick that’s never been done before and the rest of your run is good too, man that will usually get you a gold in the x-games. I like that.

Yep! She has not received any recognition for that! Commentators should have been raving on about that if they knew anything! All the girls were stoked on it

Yep, I agree I think she deserved at least bronze..  I mean she’s the first women to do that in a comp!! Its got to count for something..  (look at sages run.. He did new tricks..)  I always comment to Mr.h0z that the men go way bigger… 1620’s anyone?  Women are doing half that.. Its like there is all this pressure on the mens to do 1440-1620’s and triple corks..  Its insane..  (most I could get in tramp classes was 720..  But usually it was 540s..) I dont know how they get so many rotations!!

finally a chick goes big.. And no one really notices it.. (judge/commentator wise anyways)  snowboarders noticed it.. All the other competitors noticed it, even torah was saying how happy she was for her.. Yet no recognition?

but I do really think she deserved a podium place for it!!

Even more impressive for a female rider to throw it on that course. It was obvious that the course was intimidating for the girls in comparison to other competitions

Andy Aitken - 11 February 2014 11:23 AM

. . . Sina doing the first 1080 . . .

I can’t find footage of her run, but didn’t she mis her grabs off the first two kickers? Unless you count barely touching your edge with your fingertips as a “grab”? Not definite - but I’m pretty sure it was her?

@Chucky - Yeah I remember someone grabbing with only the middle finger on one of her jumps. If it was her, maybe it was a pre-emptive message to the judges grin

@K2 - I thought exactly that myself. I’ve definitely seen smaller comps with girls throwing down WAY bigger tricks. It sucks when the park is too big for you to do your best tricks on.

Sochi Jump Line:

LOL thats gold.

I didnt see the one finger grab. What a great way to protest though haha

Andy Aitken - 11 February 2014 06:01 PM

@Chucky - Yeah I remember someone grabbing with only the middle finger on one of her jumps. If it was her, maybe it was a pre-emptive message to the judges

This was the first twi in succession, and it definitely wasn’t deliberate. Even the “grab” on the third was barely there, but at least enough to call it legit.

MEN’S HALFPIPE QUALIFICATION

The men’s halfpipe qualification has just begun, with 40 riders across two heats battling it out. The top three from each heat move on to the final, while the next six from each heat are sent to a semifinal round; only six of those semifinalists will advance to the final.

Heat 1 Lineup

Heat 2 Lineup

MEN’S HALFPIPE QUALIFICATION - HEAT 1 RESULTS

MEN’S HALFPIPE QUALIFICATION - HEAT 2 RESULTS

I may be slightly biased, but I thought Scotty’s first run was worth more than what he got. Bummer, but I’m stoked the other two Aussies are through!

The heats didn’t seem very even did they? 81 got you automatic advancement to the final in the first heat, and 82 gets you 8th spot in the second?

Wow, that pipe looks like shit in the semis. I feel sorry for the riders. So soft and bumpy. The 2°C air temperature doesn’t help things either.

Nate Johnstone into 3rd place! C’mon buddy!

MEN’S HALFPIPE SEMIFINAL RESULTS

The top 6 listed below have gone through to the final.