The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

SNOWBOARD MYTH BUSTERS

Okay so in an attempted to stop everyone choosing to learn to ski rather than board because it’s the “New Cool Thing” now that skiers have halfpipe, slopestyle and skier-x in the olympics.
I’m giving a SHOUT OUT TO ALL BOARDWORLDERS to post a Snowboard Myth they have heard on a chairlift or in a bar etc. and then underneath post the actually facts which hopefully dispel that myth.

Just so we are clear, I have zero hate for skiers. But I LOATH myths that spread hate and confusion.

SNOWBOARD MYTH #1
Skiing is easier to learn but harder to master.

- What? Why is it easier to learn? I teach people how to do both and I think people learn both at about the same rate (but with less serious knee injuries wink )
If you ice skate or inline skate, you might learn skiing faster.
But if you skateboard, surf, wakeboard etc you will probably learn to board faster.

- How is it harder to master? It’s almost the same thing.
To learn to carve, race, ride park or pipe it’s almost the exact same process. Any small differences that make one thing slightly harder are usually an advantage in a different way. So I’m thinking…. nope!

One of the most lamest reasons for Alta to ban boards!!!!!

“Snowboarders push more snow downhill than skiers”

What the fuck?????

If something has an equal surface area, and is ridden by someone of an equal mass, that will equally distribute snow no differently!!!!!

Plus the whole reason why groomers were invented were to form the displaced snow back into areas in order to make it more ridable again!!!!!

Groomers were around before Snowboarding, so the myth is no more than a Skiers Shit Dribble!!!!!

We dont turn runs into this knee ruining rubbish!!

- What? Why is it easier to learn?

I think it’s because it’s a more natural stance (standing straight, facing downhill vs standing sideways) for most people. Less balancing compared to snowboard. So I have to disagree with you on this one. I have friends who ski & board, they said it’s easier to learn how to ski.

- How is it harder to master?

I always thought it’s harder to master because you have 2 independent skis to control (4 edges) and your leg have to move independently to each other (e.g. doing turns, steeps, moguls, etc.). I know to an extent we have to move our legs independently too in snowboarding. This one I’m not so sure if it’s a myth or not because I don’t ski.

skip11 - 05 February 2014 02:14 PM

- What? Why is it easier to learn?

I think it’s because it’s a more natural stance (standing straight, facing downhill vs standing sideways) for most people. Less balancing compared to snowboard. So I have to disagree with you on this one. I have friends who ski & board, they said it’s easier to learn how to ski.

- How is it harder to master?

I always thought it’s harder to master because you have 2 independent skis to control (4 edges) and your leg have to move independently to each other (e.g. doing turns, steeps, moguls, etc.). I know to an extent we have to move our legs independently too in snowboarding. This one I’m not so sure if it’s a myth or not because I don’t ski.

I do. I teach skiing and boarding and I really do find skiers and boarder progress at similar rates.

Also moving your feet together really isn’t that hard.

If advanced skiing is harder, I certainly don’t see how:
Skier boardslides have independent feet to control it.
They get 2 edges to carve with.
They can turn better on ice for the same reason.
Moguls are WAY easier on skis
They can do a 360 without even carving into it.
Actually, they can do almost ANYTHING on a jump by just going straight at it (Aerials skiing is proof) A skier who I won’t name, won Olympic gold in aerials and she only started skiing a few years before before she won it. She was a trampolinist. Olympic aerialists have told me that the scary part isn’t the 3 flips and 4 spins, it’s going down the landing ramp and trying to stop.

See what I’m saying. There’s nothing that’s more advanced, about their advanced riding.

And you’ll most likely find that it’s the skier that has never boarded before, that’s the one that prerpetuates that myth!!!!!

True, that’s why I started this thread

“That Snowboarders always congregate in Groups that block entry/exit on cat tracks/lifts etc”

Everyone does it, both boarders and skiers, but in reality, skiers will do it more as they can stop at these places with little concern if the traverse out of the area is flat!!!!! They can easily start their momentum using technique plus poles!!!!!

Snowboarders that know the drill, don’t stop in these areas cause they know that it’ll mean some skatein leg work to get out of it!!!!!

Snowboarders are more likely to injure them selves or others.

in my own experience this is utter bs!!

I skied a total of about 12 days over 3 trips..  And in that 12 days I hurt my elbow once (stacked and landed on it awkwardly,) and damaged by knee by twisting it.. (that was 2010.. And I’m still having massive troubles with it)

in my 3 years boarding.. Ive hurt my wrist (from when. I was learning, and constantly having to stand up after falling,) and my wrist gave out and jarred, which was partly rsi from work

ive had random bruises and bruised my knees and legs quit a bit (nothing but surface injuries, and nothing major)

I’ve winded myself..
and ive had my knees (both, the right one is my bad one, but the left one was hurting from over compensating with it) get sore, but that was from the previous ski injury flaring up..

also in the first year I did 7 days boarding, next year was about 21-22 days and last year was 34 days.. (that’s over 50 days..)

and nothing major at all and nothing that has lasted more then a few weeks..

so I dont get how snowboarding is more dangerous..

(ill also mention that skiing was at smiggins, and literally front valley, (that’s either side of the v8 aswell was my extent of skiing terrain..

snowboarding? Every run, except skiers left (jbar land) of smiggs, and Olympic..  Including at least a box and or jump in every park (except the psp fv one when it was set up for mile high, I rode it after when there was way less jumps and more features)

also I found when I stacked on skis, I left equipment all over the run that others could hit, and I slid alot further down the run..  On a snowboard? Well that’s attached and not coming off.. And no poles to lose either.. And its basically a giant brake.

Is there going to be a Myth Busters episode on all the Myths to prove they are Myths??

LOL

As long as we get to blow up a few Skiers, I can’t see why not?????

* Only the Skiers that hate on Boarders!!!!!

I think we should put Mizu at the top of the mogul run on skis and test the injury myth.

I reckon we should drop you from that chair in the pic, just for shits and giggles!!!!!

trentradpants - 05 February 2014 02:01 PM

We dont turn runs into this knee ruining rubbish!!

Not sure if real picture or worst nightmare thinking

ozgirl - 05 February 2014 07:08 PM

Is there going to be a Myth Busters episode on all the Myths to prove they are Myths??

This is a forum after all, so I welcome any posts proving that can confirm the myth is actually true (or at least plausible)!

I don’t want to start spreading lies the other way around or we will be just as bad.

If you see some BS in here, call them out on it! Just be aware the best lies twist the truth into them.
So eg. Mizu’s myth “Snowboarders block cat track entrances”
I think this is a huge myth for the reason that Mizu already said. But that doesn’t mean a boarder hasn’t done it. We just don’t do it any more than skiers.

MYTH BUSTED  raspberry

Based on my friends who both ski and board, I stick with my opinion that skier is indeed easier to learn compared to snowboarding. So I have to disagree with you on that one Andy haha.