The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Custom Flying V - year and size

What up Boardworld,

I’m looking at buying a custom flying v 158 but am wondering a couple things about the purchase. I usually just cruise around all mountain - not much park or anything crazy.

1 - Is there any difference between the 2013 and 2014? I like the flat orange graphic on the 2013 flying v better than the 90’s looking graphic on the new 2014 .... which is kinda bunk in my opinion. Anyway - is there anybody out there that has ridden either or both and has an opinion?

2 - I have 11.5 boot size and am curious if I really need to go with the wide board? I was reading somewhere that the normal 158 is actually a mid wide anyway at 254mm? is this true? how necessary is a wide in my situation?

3 - I weigh 195 lbs - is the difference between 158 and 160 even noticeable? I think i would prefer the playfulness of a ‘smaller’ 158…

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Cheers!

Hey Alex, welcome to Boardworld. cool smile

1. Usually there is very little difference from year to year, other than a minor tweak here and there, and the graphics of course. It looks the like the 2014 model has the addition of “Carbon Highlights” (description below). They’re basically saying it reduced the weight somewhat and adds a bit of performance.

Carbon Highlights optimizes each layer of the fiberglass matrix and adds a full tip-to-tail carbon layer to reduce weight and fine tune torsional feel to achieve different ride characteristics. A 60° fiber angle creates a highly maneuverable and playful feel, while a 45° fiber angle provides a more aggressive ride. Hi-Voltage models like the Cloudsplitter, Antler, Custom X, and X9FV include the addition of carbon strands to the angled fiber layers to add life and further reduce weight.

Would you notice much (if any of a difference)? Honestly, my best guess is you wouldn’t. The Custom Flying V is a high performance snowboard, with or without this new tech.

2. You beat me to it. The 254mm waist is what you could call mid-wide. I think you will be fine with your 11.5 boots. Note: the wider your stance, the more clearance you will have (also depends on your binding angles). Either way I think you will be OK here.

3. This really depends on a few factors. Where will you be riding (locations)? What is the intended use? What is your personal preference? You’ve already answered that last one. My first instinct is to say get the shorter board, because you’ve already made it clear you want a more playful ride. Shorter boards are more fun and manoeuvrable, but you sacrifice a bit of stability.

Additionally, have you even been able to track down a 2013 model? It’s a popular board and there usually aren’t too many lying around at the end of the season. If you can find one, you will definitely save some money (and get the graphic you want).

Thanks for the reply!

I will be riding in Alberta and a little bit in BC. I’m not throwing back flips or anything crazy, mostly just cruising around.

Part of the reason I was interested in the flying v is because I heard it’s great in powder as well, but I was just wondering if I would lose any of that with going 158?

great reply - thanks for the advice. much appreciated.

The Flying V almost rides like a full rocker. You’re right, it will float great in the powder.

Considering you want a playful board, I think you should go for the 158. You aren’t sacrificing much and think you will be happier on the shorter board.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Let us know how you go!