The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Product Feedback - please leave your feedback here

The idea of this thread is to share any positive or negative experiences with any products you have purchased.

Please leave your honest feedback about any snowboarding products in this thread.

What did you like about it? Would you buy it again? Would you recommend it to friends?

What did you dislike about it? What was the problem?

Please leave as much feedback as you can, so others can benefit from your experiences.

Thanks to Gamblor and Mizu Kuma for coming up with the idea…

My new board is the Custom Flying V and I’ve been overall very happy with it but underneath the channel the base is being raised and part of it is bulging out. It’s steadily been getting worse and worse the more I use it. I talked to the manager at Showcase but they will not replace it unless I get the nod from Burton that they will indeed replace it. Otherwise I will need to send the board and deal directly with Burton. He said that this is because last year he gave two customers new boards, but when he sent the damaged boards back to Burton they said ‘it was within an acceptable tolerance level’ and they had a big struggle getting replacement boards. He did however say that he thought it was pretty bad.

I also noticed a thread on the Burton Community site in which two people had the same issue (link below). One of them had already got his board replaced by Burton yet the new one had the same problem. Rider services replied on the thread saying that they can replace his board if it gets worse.

So anyway, just putting it out there. The Showcase dude basically said that this is the one flaw with the channel system. However, he did say that the majority of Burton boards will not have this problem.

I will contact Burton and see what they have to say. I can post some photos if anyone wants to see it.

http://community.burton.com/forums/thread/852976.aspx

Capita BSOD

I got to ride this board one day a couple of weeks ago and I was totally blown away. I rode the 159 and it floated in the powder like a 164, was a good stiffness, had mad ollie pop and totally railed on the groomers. I hope I don’t regret ordering the totally fk’n awesome (which is supposed to be quite similar). If it isn’t, I suspect I will pick up a bsod. I normally ride 162 to 164 so I didn’t expect much from the 59, but I found that it was fine for me. It’s camber in the middle of the board, with a touch of rocker on the ends before the flatkick. It’s quite similar to camrock from YES and whatever Signal uses in I think the Omni.
Anyways, rather than reading words, check out this vid if you’re interested in it. Nothing super gnar since I didn’t have the gopro on me for the big drops, but you should be able to see the float and general ride-ability of this board.

Here’s a little write up on the 4 boards I rode today. I didn’t get to ride them for very long and I was just hitting up groomers, so more time on each board would give a better picture.

But anyway, the boards were:

* 2012 Burton Joystick 159
* 2010 Burton Custom X 160
* 2011 Yes Typo 156
* 2011 Custom Flying V 160 (mine wink)

I first Demoed the Joystick, which was my first time on a full rocker board (V-rocker). Pete (rah) demoed the 2012 Hero, which is also V-rocker and apparently even more soft and flexy (“feel” as Burton like to call it). I got to demo it for a bit over an hour. Straight up I noticed how nice and easy the board flexed. It was good for buttering and nice and playful. It actually wasn’t really that much softer than my Custom FV but the flex felt nicer, it was more consistent and even the whole length of the board. However, it also did have less grab when turning. I noticed how the force through a turn was more in between the bindings, whereas with my board the camber under the feet helps give it a bit more bite and bring the contact points further out.

So my 2nd board was Pete’s Custom X. That’s when things got crazy hahaha! Wow, going from a full rocker to a super stiff camber board was like night and day. I also haven’t ridden a camber board for about 2 years. The Custom X is a plank. Horribly stiff but so much fun. Edge to edge it felt like I was on rails. Carving was a breeze and with that board you can go at good speed with confidence. It literally felt like auto pilot compared to the Joystick, and I hate to say it, but also mine to an extent.

On the way up the chair we saw Mike working and he suggested I have a go of his 2011 Yes Typo 156. So after just 1 run with Pete’s I swapped to Mike’s. I don’t know the specifics of the tech for the Yes Typo (maybe Mike can elaborate), but it’s a hybrid. Just looking at it, the profile seems quite flat with not too noticeable rocker or camber. It felt very different to my hybrid though. It was noticeably stiffer and felt more like a camber board to ride. I was carving easily with this board too. In fact it rode comparably to the Custom X, with a little less bite and stiffness. Of course I only had one run and was only hitting up groomers so couldn’t really see the advantages that the added rocker might give it in pow or park.

Lastly, for my 4th board, I rode mine I noticed it wasn’t as easy to carve, and I had to battle to stop it from washing out more than Mike’s or Pete’s, particularly in tougher conditions like ice/hard pack. Which meant at speed I didn’t feel as comfortable (on my own board dammit!). However, It’s not bad by any means on and edge. I haven’t sharpened my edges once this season, so hopefully that might help. However, having ridden it for ages, I do appreciate the added flex and rocker, and all the benefits that come with that… However, it still had more bite where you want it compared to the Joystick. The FV is also the lightest feeling of all the boards. The Custom X and Yes felt noticeably heavier and clunkier.

Looking at stiffness and edge control the order was definitely the Custom X, The Yes Typo, my FV, and then the Joystick. But of course more flex/rocker and playfulness have significant advantages too.

Original thread HERE.

2011 SIGNAL OMNI WAVELENGTH

Rider: Jeremy Sheridan

Rider weight: 65kg

Boot size: 9 US

Board category: All-mountain

Board size tested: 153cm

Test location: Thredbo, NSW

Snow conditions: powder, soft-packed snow, groomed runs.

GENERAL REVIEW:

The Signal Omni Wavelength is an all-mountain beast - super fast, responsive, and stable. The Omni Wavelength has camber between the feet, and rocker in the nose and tail. It rides like a full-cambered board in most situations; the board has excellent stability, pop, and carving ability. I’m stoked that I had the opportunity to ride this board in deep powder, because I got to experience how well this board floats. The combination of rocker in the nose and tail, and a longer nose than tail, provided more than adequate float in the deepest areas and off drops; the float and stability on powder landings was excellent.

The Omni Wavelength is almost a twin, except for the nose being longer than the tail; the nose and tail widths are are the same, and the radial sidecut meets in the centre of the board. When riding on piste, the board rode switch just as well as it did regular - I really could not feel any difference between the Omni Wavelength and a true twin. Rocker in the nose and tail also made it easier to press and butter. Even though the board is on the stiff end of the scale, the rocker in the nose and tail still made for a playful ride when jibbing around on the snow.

The combination of a fairly stiff flex pattern, relatively narrow waist width (243mm on the 153), and elevated contact points, makes the snowboard ride very responsively. The Omni Wavelength is an excellent all-mountain snowboard and I would not hesitate in suggesting it to those in the market for a top end, all-mountain snowboard.

PERSONAL RATINGS (out of 10):

Best use: All-mountain, powder

Flex (10 being the stiffest): 7

Carving: 8.5

Groomers: 9

Powder: 8.5

Jumps: 9

Jibbing: 6

Overall: 9 (as an all-mountain snowboard)

Dan83 - 31 December 2010 01:42 AM

My new board is the Custom Flying V and I’ve been overall very happy with it but underneath the channel the base is being raised and part of it is bulging out. It’s steadily been getting worse and worse the more I use it. I talked to the manager at Showcase but they will not replace it unless I get the nod from Burton that they will indeed replace it.

Dan,

I can understand your local shop’s concern.
It may be better to deal with the company direct when it may be a borderline issue.
I’ve had good results dealing with companies on this level. if it’s only cosmetic, they seems to want to disregard it, but if it has the potential to be performance changing.. (and if you present it that way, that it’s causing problems) then they are more likely to exchange or repair if possible.
I’ve had this occurrence with Burton on some clothing, boots and boards. and also with Rome on a board. everything was well addressed each time.

I too have the Custom Flying V. I’ve enjoyed it.
I dont believe I have the problem with the channel either pulling or pushing toward the base. I’ve not noticed it if I had.
I’d check a few others with the channel and check the base to see if it happened to them.

X-MINI II CAPSULE SPEAKER

The X-mini II Capsule Speaker is small; maybe 1.5 times the size of a golf ball. Easy enough to fit in your pocket, portability is a big feature of this speaker. The attached cable wraps neatly around the base of the speaker and fits in a little groove, so there are no loose cables when carrying around. It also comes with a cloth carry bag for protection and portability.

The rechargeable battery is internal so you never have to worry about buying batteries. The speaker comes with a USB cable for easy charging from any computer. The battery life is phenomenal - they claim 12 hours of use per charge but I have easily been using the speakers for more than 12 hours and they are still going strong.

To use the speakers you just pull out the short cable, twist the top and bottom parts of the capsule so they separate and expand (for better bass and sound), plug into your mp3 player or computer, flick the ‘on’ switch, and you’re good to go! There is an external volume control on the side of the speaker. For a small speaker, the sound is brilliant. It’s really hard to imagine something so small to deliver such powerful and crisp sound. You also have the option of connecting multiple capsule speakers together for increased sound and bass.

Here are some photos of the X-mini II Capsule Speaker…

X-MINI MAX II CAPSULE SPEAKER

Similar to the X-mini II Capsule Speaker, the X-mini MAX II Capsule Speaker is portable and features an impressive 12 hour internal battery. The difference is the MAX breaks off into left and right speakers. The two sizes are held together by a series of grooves and a magnet to keep everything together. You simply pull the two sides apart, twist the upper and lower parts of each speaker to expand the capsule (for increased sound and bass), and they’re ready to rock.

In regards to size they are about the size of a closed fist. The speakers come with a all-in-one USB and speaker cable. The cable features a volume control dial. You just plug the cable into each speaker, then either attach the USB to the computer for charging, or plug the cable into your mp3 player or iPhone. Note, you can charge the speakers (USB) and have them plugged into your mp3 player at the same time. They also come with a cloth carry bag for protection and portability.

Don’t let the size of these speakers fool you; they are high performance, quality speakers. The sound quality is more than impressive and the thumping bass must be heard to be believed. Everyone I have shown these speaks to have been blown away by the volume and sound quality. Nearly every time their first comment was “where can I buy one?”.

These speakers are great for travelling, shred trips, skate sessions, or any time you need portable quality sounds. These speakers will be travelling permanently with my laptop for big sound on the go. I have been extremely impressed with the X-mini MAX II Capsule Speaker. If you’re looking for quality portable sound, look no further!

Here are some photos of the X-mini MAX II Capsule Speaker…

Pulled my bindings out to transfer them onto the new board, and shut eye, the forward lean adjuster and screw were GONE!!!!!

Anyway’s, just wanna give a shout out to Clint @ Cherrie Pow (Jindy) and FLUX for arangin to sort it out for nix, nada, zero, zilch!!!!! Even gonna send it straight to my door!!!!! Now that is SERVICE!!!!!  shaka

The Missin bit photo, that’s missin the bit!!!!!

Chemical Storm, The Shadow An skullteeth

Both of these boards are super fun to ride an nice soft flex that is nice to press an i can’t wait to get them into some pow.
They are also super poppy an can also handle high speeds.
The new nose an tail design is different but i think will be solid in cutting through cruddy snow.
Chcek them out on boardworld an get your hands on one for the season.

If you looking for a nice Jib stick that can also shred the whole mountain then give them a go.

Happy Shredding

RichieP - 27 June 2011 10:25 AM

Chemical Storm, The Shadow An skullteeth

Both of these boards are super fun to ride an nice soft flex that is nice to press an i can’t wait to get them into some pow.
They are also super poppy an can also handle high speeds.
The new nose an tail design is different but i think will be solid in cutting through cruddy snow.
Chcek them out on boardworld an get your hands on one for the season.

If you looking for a nice Jib stick that can also shred the whole mountain then give them a go.

Happy Shredding

is this a preview or a review?

figured I should copy in my review and thoughts on the skullteeth from the other thread..

finney - 14 April 2011 03:35 AM

I’ve been riding the 155 Chemical Storm Skullteeth Octorocker that Jeremy has here in Whistler for the past week or so in a whole lot of mixed conditions and figured it was only fair that I post a review up here for the great board that Jeff has produced. The board is definitely a real eye catcher and has drawn a hell of a lot of attention wherever it goes with a huge amount of people (including one DC team rider on the gondola the other day) asking me ‘what is that board?/graphics looks sick/can’t stop checking out the nose and tail shape’ etc.)

For the whole time I’ve been testing the board I should also add that I’ve been riding the board with a centred ~24” stance -15/15 and 08/09 Ride Beta bindings.

At first I was a little scared of what I’d think given my previous riding has been done mostly on cambered and hybrid boards with varying levels of flex and the limited time I’ve spent on rocker boards had left me wondering what all the fuss was about since I just couldn’t seem to get comfortable but after a few turns on the Octorocker I was wondering what it was that had left me being skeptical about rockered boards since I instantly felt comfortable on it.

First day riding it was after 20+cm of fresh snow and whilst this board is designed as a park board it is just phenomenal in powder, floats on top effortlessly which leaves the back leg having to do a whole lot less work meaning for longer days on the hill and less breaks for the legs. Its also insanely fast yet surprisingly stable when bombing through big powder fields which is something that I had previously found to go hand in hand with a much stiffer board. It took pretty much everything I had to throw at it and just said ‘what, thats all you’ve got?’ back at me. I couldn’t fault the board in any way shape or form when it came to riding powder even with my centred stance. It was extremely responsive through tight tree lines and it’s ability to float and hold speed on the flatter sections left me grinning from ear to ear as I continued on to snake more fresh lines off those who had come to a stop.

Obviously throughout the day the powder gets chopped up along with the groomers and you’re left with a mess which isn’t always the easiest to navigate and you can’t always ride through this both quickly and comfortably at speed but with this board I was far more comfortable riding at speed flatbasing through these sections and throwing in the odd turn here and there. The boards stability at high speed is not something that you’d expect from such a soft board but by just shifting the weight back a touch the tail just absorbed everything and allowed me to ride faster than I ever have previously in those conditions, no doubt had mountain safety seen what was going on I may have had a bit of explaining to do hahaha.

One downfall I’ve noticed of softer boards in the past is that they aren’t always fantastic at landing drops/hits even the slightest bit tail heavy. WIth the Octorocker it lands side hits and what jumps I’ve hit with ease and even when I got it wrong with weight back a touch it just eased the nose down rather than sliding out from underneath me so it’s definitely forgiving with the hits where you don’t get everything perfect. I haven’t had a chance to ride too much park yet, just a few small hits in the park and it’s been great fun so far. Once all this powder decides to leave us I’ll have a better chance of getting in there and trying it out a whole lot more.

As I’ve mentioned previously the board is very quick and when looking at how it performs with edge to edge carving it’s great, super quick on the transitions from heel to toe and amazingly effortless with the catch free freedom of rocker, however, on hardpacked groomers first thing in the morning I did miss having my other board with camber between the feet. But really at the end of the day you’ve only got these conditions shortly first thing in the morning so it’s something I’m easily able to look past given just how it performs in all other conditions and the fact that this is a common trait of all rockered boards.

And now for the million dollar question as to whether I’d buy a Chemical Storm Octorocker… I can honestly say that I’m seriously reconsidering my next board choice after having ridden this for the past week and would highly recommend giving one of them a demo if you have the chance this Winter.

In Jeff’s introduction he stated “We ride everything from peak to park” and from my limited time on this board I can definitely say that he has created an amazing board that will do this with ease. In closing, a huge thanks to Jeff for sending the board over here and giving us a chance to ride it. I’ve had a blast riding it and wish him all the best for the release of the boards this Winter.

Cheers,
Mike.

Chemical Storm roostertail off Peak Chair - Photo taken by Dan83

2011 YES typo 156

Rider: me

Rider weight: ~78g

Boot size: 10 US

Board category: All-mountain

Board size tested: 156cm

Test location: Whistler, BC

Snow conditions: everything..

Rode this board for the whole 2010/2011 season in Whistler and it’s an amazing all round board that did pretty much everything with ease. It’s a hybrid board with a mix of camber and rocker with the camber positioned between the feet and the rockered tip and tail. There are plenty of advantages in this in that not once did I catch an edge (there was maybe one or two times this happened but it was purely rider error or me being a retard haha). The rockered tip and tail really do make the board a lot more forgiving than a standard camber board but with the camber between the feet you’re able to hold a very healthy edge on the board and carve through the hardpack conditions at a decent pace with a hell of a lot of confidence. This also comes from the stiffness of the board - it’s rated as being a 7/10 in regards to stiffness so it doesn’t get much chatter at high speed like a medium to soft board would do. Over time through the season the board did definitely get a bit softer and got a bit more flex out of it which in my eyes made it even more fun to ride.

For powder riding it was also amazing with plenty of float from the rockered tip and tail, didn’t really need to lean back all that much with the rocker helping keep the nose up which kept my back leg happy for longer days on the hill and with my weight still reasonably centered meant that it was super easy to throw around for those quick turns you need in the trees. I rode the board with a centered 24.5” stance all season even in deep powder, didn’t once think about setting the stance back it floated so well and was that stable even in 30+cm of fresh snow. If you look at the video below that was shot on a 35cm day you’ll see just how well the board floats with the nose easily sitting up on top of the fresh snow which in whistler at times can be a bit wet/heavier than you get elsewhere.

When it came to drops and jumps this board was also great fun and definitely excelled in both areas with it’s stiffness as it always felt solid on landings in both powder and hardpack which was great as it always had such a solid feel which kept you filled with confidence wanting to go back and hit things over and over again.

Can’t think of much more now since it’s been a while since I’ve been riding on it but would definitely suggest this board to anyone who is still in love with camber but wants some of the freedom that rocker gives when riding powder and also being a much harder board to catch an edge on. Some of my mates have also since bought yes boards who have only been riding for a few years (week or two a season) and both commented on how good the camrock is for holding edges with a lot more confidence yet being forgiving enough in those situations where they would have previously caught an edge.

Heres a video from one powder day riding the typo in Whistler and a photo from a short trip I did to Silver Star (everybody loves an action shot with a review raspberry)

nice review finney!
I’d like to compare the typo to my capita totally fk’n awesome. I think the tfa would be stiffer though.

How tall are you btw?

Cheers buddy grin

I’m 175cm

Nice review Finney! I’m lookin at the 155 YES Basic with camrock for next season to compliment my Lib T.Rice. I love my Rice but having demoed another board with a camrock profile (Rossi One Magtek), I find it way easier to butter with rocker at the tip and tail. Plus the Basic model seems to be not as expensive as others in the line.

I GOT THE 154 yes typo at chrissy, so busting to get it out on the slopes. cheers for the review