The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Anyone here from Brisbane??

Soooo it turns out I’m moving to Brisvegas for work! Got a month or two to sort shit out.. just wondering if people have tips/advice on renting/buying and areas to look out for and avoid? I’ve only been once for a weekend so I have no idea!

The missus is working right in the CBD so I think we would look at moving close by so she can walk/train it to work, then I can drive out to my work near the airport. That way we would only need one car.. Is traffic bad??

Any tips would be epic.

Shit thing is as she was living in Canberra its even further for us from the snow =(

Beachndogs is.
Depnding if I hear back from the job I applied for, I might end up moving there too.

depends where you’re looking at. Coming into the city is, as in all CBD’s stupid crazy. Especially on the freeways.If you are looking inner suburbs, which are pretty awesome, there are pretty good ways to get into town, reasonable public transport and good bikeways. Go further out, and as always, nightmare.Where you live will depend on what your scene is I suppose. Good luck with it. Tale your own water, it’s pretty dry up there. It’s either really wet, or really dry!

StamfordKid - 16 October 2013 11:02 AM

Soooo it turns out I’m moving to Brisvegas for work! Got a month or two to sort shit out.. just wondering if people have tips/advice on renting/buying and areas to look out for and avoid? I’ve only been once for a weekend so I have no idea!

The missus is working right in the CBD so I think we would look at moving close by so she can walk/train it to work, then I can drive out to my work near the airport. That way we would only need one car.. Is traffic bad??

Any tips would be epic.

Shit thing is as she was living in Canberra its even further for us from the snow =(

hey bud! yeah i am a goldie girl but lived on and off on bris for years and actually just moved back about a week ago. so hit me up with any questions ya got and will def help ya where i can!

There a def places to avoid, and places that you could go that would be close the public transport for ya girl. so you’re working at the airport? and yeah, like most places traffic can be fairly shit at times. when are you heading up?

beachndogs - 16 October 2013 05:08 PM
StamfordKid - 16 October 2013 11:02 AM

Any tips would be epic.

hey bud! yeah i am a goldie girl but lived on and off on bris for years and actually just moved back about a week ago. so hit me up with any questions ya got and will def help ya where i can!

There a def places to avoid, and places that you could go that would be close the public transport for ya girl. so you’re working at the airport? and yeah, like most places traffic can be fairly shit at times. when are you heading up?

Heading up early December to suss it out, move officially first week of Jan. we are looking at places to rent first up I think like Milton, Auchenflower, South Bank and South Brisbane and West End. somewhere walking distance to North Quay (near the bridge) would be best.. we’d like to be close by and then I think eventually buy a place somewhere once settled in..

yes, yes, yes. That’s all good! Can’t go wrong with any of that except when the river comes up! Mad place to live! Between that (owned houses in that area) and the Goldie (shows how old I am, it was never the Goldie when I grew up there) I’ve spent wayyyy too much time there! And still have many relo’s in that area, if I was living back in Brisvagas, that’s where I’d be.

also consider East Bris Wooloongabba and Kangaroo Point area as other alternatives that might not be too dissimilar from what you’re after. Rad biketracks around there too

oh nice! well milton and auchenflower are def nice a close to the city. got both buses and trains close by and they’ll get ya into the city in under about 10 mins. southbank and south brisbane are also good options for city proximity. i would probs give west end a miss on that front, althou there are great food options over there haha but i would be even looking at kangaroo point like tambo said. it’s a great place and still super close to the city to!

if you’re looking legit walking distance to north quay then you are going to have to be in the city proper which will be super exy, or southbank would be the best best as you just have to walk the bridge over the river to get there hey. and with any of these places, you’re also not gonna have too many dramas getting to the airport, just expect the regular dramas to get most places in peak hour traffic hey. southbank is also good for the eats to!! heaps of sweet places and you’re right on the river!!

just give us a shout when ya have any questions bud, happy to help where i can. i’ll send ya a msg with my email and you can hit me up anytime! i’m jess btw smile

awesome - thanks guys

Alright so now it looks like we are both taking our cars up there.. this means we can both drive to work so we are happy to move a bit further out from the CBD if it means saving some cash! We had a look online at Chermside? Thoughts?

Other suburbs I’ve been looking at which are still close by are Bulimba/Morningside/Balmoral area, Toowong/St Lucia, Bardon/paddington?

I guess ill have to suss it out when I get up there but I like doing as much research as I can as I am OCD, impatient and picky! haha

Hi Stamford!

I’m in Northside of Brisvegas and I think those locations would match you and missus.
The city workers should use public transport and car parking prices are so ridiculous!
For me I would choose train over bus, much quicker.
My guess locations would suit you are Nundah or Toombul, they have a good amenities in this area such a large shopping centre close to train station. This rail line runs every 15 mintues in peak.
Also good road network easy to access to gateway arterial for your break from smoke, go to Sunshine or Gold coast!
Plus your work is close to Nundah or Toombul.

Hope thats help you?

Thanks mate - great info.

As I said I think we will spend a bit extra at first and move right into the city and then look at buying a place of our own in an inner city suburb.. looking forward to it - I just want to get up there now!

No worries mate, good luck with settle down… shaka

BUMP

Thoughts on living in Eight Mile Plain?? (about 15mins south of CBD)
Our friends parents have a town house there which has just come available and at a good price.

Eight Mile Plains used to be the end of the earth when I was a kid. It was farms, - the good bit, and hovels - the bad bit. When the freeway went through to there, and the gateway bridge opened, which was in the 80’s, urban sprawl saw a huge upsurge in growth.

So it’s one of those places that’s reasonably accessible by car to both north and south coast beaches because of the gateway bypass and the F3, and there’s the busway to the city.

Not sure about 8 mile plains itself, but many other suburbs around have high populations of other nationalities, which may or may not be your thing. Further south, there is a lot of violence.

If you look at the way Brisbane grew, the waves of immigrants settled on the fringes and less expensive areas.

There’s good services around, big shopping centres, IKEA, you name it, but It’s a very different scene to what you have been looking at, that’s for sure! You’d love it or hate it.

BND, what’s your take?