The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

time to upgrade gizmos

ive been looking to upgrade my old, out dated, rundown gizmos for a while and i think im finally about to pull the trigger.
I want a tablet/laptop hybrid and there seems to be a fair few decent options out there
Two that are currently demanding my attention are these

The first one is the asus transformer book and the second is the asus TAICHI 31

What do you guys think? Pros and cons? different options?

Dont get too fixated on price, i wont be paying full price on anything, but it is still a consideration yes

Question is what do you want out of a hybrid?

I think the bottom one. The one where when you close it the screen is on the outside.

IF you have the option of taking off the keyboad on the other one, I feel you could find yourself just using it as a tablet all the time, and leaving the keyboard behind then wishing you had it

NO! please no!

Both these laptops are 3rd gen processors. The new 4th gen processors are much better and can provide approx 30% more battery life.

Look at the Dell XPS 12 - http://www.dell.com/au/p/xps-12-9q33/pd

But that rotates into a tablet and probably isn’t what you’re looking for.

Both of these are quite overpriced (better off getting an iPad and a cheaper laptop (http://store.sony.com/c/Pro-Series-Notebooks/en/c/S_PRO_SERIES_PAGE)) or personally I’d give it another month or 2 until a few more hit the market and hopefully you can save some money.

TJswish - 27 August 2013 10:19 PM

NO! please no!

Both these laptops are 3rd gen processors. The new 4th gen processors are much better and can provide approx 30% more battery life.

Look at the Dell XPS 12 - http://www.dell.com/au/p/xps-12-9q33/pd

But that rotates into a tablet and probably isn’t what you’re looking for.

thats exactly the type of thing i want thumbsup
I dont want a laptop & a tablet, i want one reasonable sized thing that basically does both, i hate carrying around my big bulky laptop, altho powerful, it takes ages to start up and get into gear in its old age.
I travel alot, for work and play so thats why i only want one

Hehe, well glad I wasn’t too far off the money smile

smirk

Mizu Kuma - 28 August 2013 10:37 AM

smirk

No touch screen or tablet capabilities. Not what he is looking for…

Thank you TJ, mizu michelle

K2_TeacherBoy - 27 August 2013 10:12 PM

IF you have the option of taking off the keyboad on the other one, I feel you could find yourself just using it as a tablet all the time, and leaving the keyboard behind then wishing you had it

Yea I did think that myself, but aside from double sided screen basically all the specs are better on the other one

TJswish - 28 August 2013 10:41 AM

No touch screen or tablet capabilities. Not what he is looking for…

He’s only gonna get sticky stuff all over a touch screen anyways!!!!!

So after spending almost an hour in jb hifi this arvo i think im just going to get a newer tablet, the hybrids are just abit too bulky for my liking.
On that note, recommendations on tablets?
High on my list atm are the samsung galaxy note 8 and galaxy tab (8or10)
ill be making the purchase tomorrow most likely so what do you recon???

DylanV - 28 August 2013 06:28 PM

Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (the new one)
Sony xperia tab Z
iPad

Are about the only ones I’d consider at this stage.

The nexus 10 is amazing, super fast and great screen all for a pretty damn good price.

TJswish - 29 August 2013 10:13 AM

The nexus 10 is amazing, super fast and great screen all for a pretty damn good price.

Yep I had regrets when I first got mine as there was a bug in the firmware that caused reboots at random. They patched it pretty quickly and it’s only got better since Jellybean 4.3.

It’s still any absolute powerhouse of a tablet but might be worth mentioning that the next version of it is expected to be announced fairly soon.

drc13 - 28 August 2013 07:31 PM
DylanV - 28 August 2013 06:28 PM

Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (the new one)
Sony xperia tab Z
iPad

Are about the only ones I’d consider at this stage.

No nexus 10’s only 7s, and I didnt like them (too small)
No way I was getting an iPad
put me down to the choice of the Sony Xperia tab z and the Samsung galaxy note 10.1
Both quad core, 1.5 & 1.4ghz respectively
Came down to the wire, what won it was shock resistant, dust proof & 1m waterproof.

Congratulations Sony thumbsup

DylanV - 29 August 2013 05:37 PM

Congratulations Sony thumbsup

Nice! now try not to break/lose it! smile