The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Meet Earl

Meet Earl he has been made from crowd sourcing to produce the product. This could be handy for the back country if your one of those crazy peeps who heads way out.

Meet Earl, a revolutionary tablet engineered for the most extreme of outdoor situations. Built for survival, Earl works where today’s smart phones and tablets cannot. Style meets efficiency with Earl’s intuitive design, fusing Android 4.1 together with an energy sipping E-Ink screen and the latest in GPS, weather sensor, and radio communication technology. With Earl at your side, stay in control of your journey no matter where it takes you.

Glove friendly infrared touchscreen with 3D joypad and gyroscope for a multitude of touch and motion gestures allowing easy control in almost any condition.

1024x768 6” flexible E-ink screen designed by LG provides superior visibility in direct sunlight.“Lunar” mode for nighttime illumination also doubles as an emergency lantern.

Water/dust/shock/mud-proof. IP67 rated, allowing full submersion in 3 feet of water for 30 mins. Reliable in temperatures between 0-50 °C. and altitudes up to 40,000 feet.

Laminated solar panel provides up to 20 hours of battery (3000mAh). Earl charges in 5 hours in direct sunlight using high efficiency 18% mono crystalline solar cells.

Specifications:  Android 4.1 • Flexible 6” E-ink screen (1024x768) • Sunlight viewable with lunar lantern mode • Glove friendly IR touchscreen • Waterproof shell • Kickstand • Solar charging • i.MX 6 DualLite 1GHz Cortex A9 • 1GB ram • 16GB memory + microSD • Wifi b/g/n • BT 4.0 • ANT+ • NFC • FRS/GMRS/MURS • GPS + GLONASS • Accelerometer • Gyroscope • Magnetometer • Temperature • Barometer • Humidity • Anemometer • AM/FM/SW/LW • IR blaster • 20+ hour battery • 20” usb lanyard • 303 grams (10.8 oz) • 183mm x 121mm x 15mm (7.2” x 4.75” x 0.6”)

From $249

That thing looks crazy and the price seems very cheap for all that tech.  What exactly is an Eink screen, I take it thats not colour?

NBG - 22 May 2013 09:43 AM

What exactly is an Eink screen?

Eink is an alternate type of display. Most commonly seen in b&w ebook readers.

Advantages of it are it’s cheap, great readability in sunlight, low battery consumption, generally easier on the eyes (more paper like, not backlit)

Downsides are it’s not colour, slow refresh rates, low resolution, poor image reproduction.

NBG - 22 May 2013 09:43 AM

That thing looks crazy and the price seems very cheap for all that tech.  What exactly is an Eink screen, I take it thats not colour?

It is and I love how its not a big company making the unit. Solar charging is a really good draw card. It’s fairly small and could easily clip it to your card or inside your front pocket.