The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Board help for the big guy!

StamfordKid - 13 May 2013 08:53 AM

Looks like I’m gonna be a Burton whore haha

Haha - join the club!

I’ve had my Burton setup for a few seasons now and done well over 100 days with it.

I’m 6’4” and 80-85kg. Normally a size 11 but fit into 10.5 boots.

I have the Custom Flying V 160 (10/11), EST Cartels, and Ion boots. 

Overall I really still like my setup and it’s been very reliable (although I did warranty my board after 50 or so days due to “channel bump” - but that’s another story, and I think a pretty rare fault). The board is a very good all-rounder. Only criticism - I would often like a bit more bite i.e. more camber, but it still grips better than a rocker board. But, you can’t have everything, and the generous amount of rocker in it has its benefits. The newer models might have changed the profile slightly anyhow? Seeing as you were considering a full rocker, and then wanted the benefits of a hybrid, all up it would probably suit you really well. Can’t fault the bindings or boots btw.

Dan83 - 13 May 2013 09:43 AM
StamfordKid - 13 May 2013 08:53 AM

Looks like I’m gonna be a Burton whore haha

Haha - join the club!

I’ve had my Burton setup for a few seasons now and done well over 100 days with it.

I’m 6’4” and 80-85kg. Normally a size 11 but fit into 10.5 boots.

I have the Custom Flying V 160 (10/11), EST Cartels, and Ion boots. 

Overall I really still like my setup and it’s been very reliable (although I did warranty my board after 50 or so days due to “channel bump” - but that’s another story, and I think a pretty rare fault). The board is a very good all-rounder. Only criticism - I would often like a bit more bite i.e. more camber, but it still grips better than a rocker board. But, you can’t have everything, and the generous amount of rocker in it has its benefits. The newer models might have changed the profile slightly anyhow? Seeing as you were considering a full rocker, and then wanted the benefits of a hybrid, all up it would probably suit you really well. Can’t fault the bindings or boots btw.

How do you find it in the park? and the size? Do you think a 160 would be ok for my size?

I think a 158 or 160 would suit you fine in Australia (I would probably go for the 160), but the issue is if you take this board to Japan as you said you might in your original post. At 110kg, I don’t know how well this will handle deep pow in Japan. If you are thinking of going to Japan, I would say at least step up to the 160, or even bigger. The camber profile is close to a full rocker, so it’s going to feel a lot shorter than a cambered board of the same size. My suggestion would be: 160, 162W or 163. If it’s for Aus/NZ only, then you could consider the 158. Remember, your weight is the most important consideration. Overall, I think the 160 would serve you well; this is probably the most versatile size for you (park/mountain/pow etc). You can always set your stance back if you need more float in really deep and light powder.

rider26 - 13 May 2013 11:05 AM

I think a 158 or 160 would suit you fine in Australia (I would probably go for the 160), but the issue is if you take this board to Japan as you said you might in your original post. At 110kg, I don’t know how well this will handle deep pow in Japan. If you are thinking of going to Japan, I would say at least step up to the 160, or even bigger. The camber profile is close to a full rocker, so it’s going to feel a lot shorter than a cambered board of the same size. My suggestion would be: 160, 162W or 163. If it’s for Aus/NZ only, then you could consider the 158. Remember, your weight is the most important consideration. Overall, I think the 160 would serve you well; this is probably the most versatile size for you (park/mountain/pow etc). You can always set your stance back if you need more float in really deep and light powder.

Well if I go to Japan I would take the board I’m riding now (K2 Darkstar 163). My mate used it for season in Japan and it would be perfect for it cause it is quite large so the new board would be purely for Australia and mainly park. I am probably still going to use the K2 on occasion though if need be.
I think I would go the 160 anyways though cause I still want a pretty versatile board.

Considering everything, I think the 160 is a very smart choice. It’s going to perform well no matter the conditions or what you feel like riding on the day. Burton Cartels will go perfectly with the Custom Flying V. You choice here is whether to get the EST or Re:flex version. The EST will only work on Burton boards (with the channel), while the Re:flex model will work on other boards.

Probably the Re:flex then I can use them on both boards if need be (my current bindings aren’t far off from death)

Checking availability and pricing for you.

One more thing - what is the difference with the model names?? (Custom, Sherlock, Process, Antler etc)

They are completely different snowboards. The “Flying V” just refers to the camber profile. The Process and Antler are both softer than the Custom. The Sherlock is more pow/freeride oriented. I would still recommend the Custom for you. At 110kg, the 160 is still relatively undersized for you, so I think you will appreciate the slightly stiffer flex (and stability) of the Custom. Overall, it’s going to be the most versatile.

Think of it like a Commodore / Monaro / Barina / Astra

4 totally different cars all made by Holden.

These are 4 totally different boards all made by Burton smile

NBG - 09 May 2013 03:34 PM

Stamford your exactly the same height, weight and boot size as me.  I’m currently riding a 157 Lib Tech T Rice with no dramas.  I also have a 159 Skate Banana.  I would not be wanting to ride a 168 mate, that’s huge.  Look for soemthing a bit softer, preferably with rocker to really help your riding as well as a waist width of 254 or above depending on if your boots have shrinkage tech or not.

So you have no problems on the 157 T Rice? Do you recommend it?
I would prefer a smaller board but I don’t want to go too small and be limited

I really like the T Rice, it rides a lot bigger than a 157 as it’s quite stiff.  I find it better at speed than the Banana and at landing bigger straight airs.  The dramas I have at times when spinning are way more related to my technique then the board. 

The T Rice is not going to be the limiting factor in mine or most other peoples equations, it’s more likely to be the rider.  If I was to have a go round again I would grab the horsepower version as it’s a bit lighter then the normal version.  Mervin makes some of the best quality boards out there but the trade off is that they are a little heavier than some.

With all of that said it’s not as fun just bumbling around the mountain as a full rockered board or something a bit softer but when you want to straightline bomb something I would much rather be on the T Rice.

StamfordKid - 15 May 2013 08:39 AM

I would prefer a smaller board but I don’t want to go too small and be limited

If you forget about riding it in powder in Japan, you can probably get away with the 158 in Australia. You sacrifice stability (and float in powder) but it will also be more playful. You said you will be taking your bigger board to Japan anyway? In that case, if the smaller board appeals to you, you can definitely make it work.

Thoughts on Nitro Team Gullwing Wide 159?

A mate swears by his and I’ve found a 2013 model on sale in the US for $280 USD - my sister lives over there and can get her to send it to me for about $50

266mm waist is way wider than you need. I would pass. Not to mention your warranty will be void.

I know you can get sale boards in the States for cheaper, but you’re sacrificing customer service and voiding your warranty. I know you think it won’t happen to you, but I worked in a snowboard store for eight years and I can’t tell you how many times people brought in boards for warranties that the brands won’t even look at because they were purchased overseas. On the flipside, a store and brand will bend over backwards to look after you if you have any issus at all if you buy locally. Support your stores and they will support you. Just my opinion.