The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

what type of snow riding did you do first? what made you change?

Poll: skiing or snowboarding, what did you do first?
Total Votes: 25
Skiing
Snowboarding

i had about 4-5 season on a snowboard under my belt before i gave the skatey a serious go :( , i’m jealous if i had your balance to go with my tweed, man i’d have ladies everywhere!

antt321 - 28 June 2009 08:58 AM

I did’nt start skiing either. Although I have been waterskiing for a LONG time though.

I pretty much woke up one day and was like, “Hey I should start snowboarding”. I had been a few times, my simple boxes/rails and small jumps sorted so I just decided to buy a board and get into it. Since then Ive always been into my park/jibbing and Ive also started to Skateboard during the summer.

So do you do any wakeboarding now?

Snow to skate doesnt transfer as well as skate to snow does.

I started snowboarding around 1998 when I went down for a trip with my friends who had been skiing since they were little kids and then changed to snowboarding as they got older. I instantly loved it. Who would have thought sliding down a hill would be so addictive! My husband is also committed to say the least, which comes in pretty handy and we have never missed a season.

Uh, Banger, correct me if I’m wrong but I heard a rumour you actually got your start as a telemarker? ‘Free the heel, free the mind’ or something like that?

SDV* - 28 June 2009 01:14 PM

Uh, Banger, correct me if I’m wrong but I heard a rumour you actually got your start as a telemarker? ‘Free the heel, free the mind’ or something like that?

I heard the same thing… I’m thinking there is truth to the rumour.

I dont know much about tele… but can you start with tele? or should you learn to ski first and then tele?

snowslider - 28 June 2009 04:25 PM

I dont know much about tele… but can you start with tele? or should you learn to ski first and then tele?

I have friends who started Cross country skiing and move on to Tele…You can start with anything…..I started with a toboggan

To be honest I started with BMX, I used to find all the biggest dirt hills in town and point the thing straight. I loved hangin on for dear life. We used to build jumps in the local reserves and see who could get the biggest or furthest air. There were some natural quarter pipes about and I was into them as well.
With skate boarding, there weren’t any parks back then, so it was the same deal-biggest hill, coffin ride.
I’m yet to get into MB, but with summer in Thredbo I’m sure I will.

spaz - 28 June 2009 08:39 PM

coffin ride.

grrr

snowslider - 28 June 2009 12:35 PM

I did’nt start skiing either. Although I have been waterskiing for a LONG time though.

I pretty much woke up one day and was like, “Hey I should start snowboarding”. I had been a few times, my simple boxes/rails and small jumps sorted so I just decided to buy a board and get into it. Since then Ive always been into my park/jibbing and Ive also started to Skateboard during the summer.

Yea I wakeboard from time to time, not that good though, just starting to land some 360s thats about it haha. Still heavily into waterskiing though.

antt321 - 28 June 2009 09:46 PM

Yea I wakeboard from time to time, not that good though, just starting to land some 360s thats about it haha. Still heavily into waterskiing though.

If you’re spinning and passing the rope behind your back, I say you’re good!.
I’m just doing various FS180s and surface tricks. I’m not on a very good boat though.

snowslider - 28 June 2009 10:21 PM
antt321 - 28 June 2009 09:46 PM

If you’re spinning and passing the rope behind your back, I say you’re good!.
I’m just doing various FS180s and surface tricks. I’m not on a very good boat though.

Haha I’m veeerrryyy shaky though. Its pretty much the same as snowboarding. Pop of the tip of the wake, pull your shoulders right round, don’t start spinning until your in the air and don’t worry about the passing the rope it comes naturally. Also the boat helps a ton, bigger wake = bigger air. smile

Started skateboarding in the early ‘80’s Had my first day on skis in ‘86, a school trip. The sliding bug bit, but it just wasn’t quite right, until ‘91 I headed up second last weekend of the season to try this snowboarding out.  I was back for the last weekend, by season start ‘92, I had board, boots, clothes…...................... and as they say, the rest is history.

I surfed as a kid but didn’t really do any sports in my early adult life rolleyes

Moved to Victoria in 2007 from a slightly warmer state tongue wink had a friend come visit during winter of 2008 who wanted to go to the snow, so went along with them. Snowboarding seemed the logical choice as it seemed more like surfing that I had some distant memories of…..Tried it once and was hooked. like Tambazz, the next time i went back I had all my own gear!!! I managed to get in about 5 or 6 trips in September/October last year. Looking forward to this season cool smile

I was skiing one week every year until 07 when we came up to Hotham for the season had a shot at snowboarding and haven’t looked back since

Fishmunga - 30 June 2009 01:38 AM

I was skiing one week every year until 07 when we came up to Hotham for the season had a shot at snowboarding and haven’t looked back since

sometimes you should look back…and to the left..and the right…Just a little safety tip