The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Quick thoughts on some 2014 boards

Some quick thoughts on some 2014 boards I tried today. All boards are tried only for 1 run, except the Never Summer Proto HD.

Lib Tech Jamie Lynn Classic C3 157
By far the stiffest “modern” (meaning old super stiff cambered boards are excluded) board I’ve ever tried. Cambered overall shape with a super mellow banana that does not touch the ground unless weighted. Really hard for me to ollie or do any sort of butter tricks. This is a pure charger for me, carves well, rides like a normal cambered board with a little bit easier turn initiation.

Salomon Sick Stick 156
Always wanted to try this board after seeing a lot of them in Whistler on a pow day. Medium stiff flex, but still snappy/poppy because of the bamboo. Liked the board except the edges were dull, couldn’t carve on the hard pack stuff in the morning. Does not feel tapered (12 mm taper). Board has really mellow camber (almost flat) past the bindings and mellow rocker at the contact points. I wish I can try this in pow, but I like just cruising around groomers.

Arbor Whiskey 152
Arbor new board for next season, rep said it’s kinda an all mountain board but more on the price point (around $400+ ish, which to me is not a price point board haha). Has parabolic rocker and grip tech edges like most arbor boards. Love the grip tech, really awesome. I’m no used to a full reverse camber board so hitting jumps and doing ollie is a bit sketchy to me. Turns are nice though.

Never Summer Proto HD 154
BY FAR, the best board and the funnest board I’ve ever tried. Blows my T.Rice and Pick Your Line away just for resort crusing, side hits, carving, etc. Funny, because I demoed an NS Evo 154 last season and I didn’t like it. The flex is perfect, a little past medium but not stiff. You can butter around and hold the press easily without washing out on the tail. This board is also the poppiest board I’ve ever tried when doing ollies off rollers and surprisingly in and out of carves. It is lively but also damp enough. The side cut is awesome on this board, by just using different radius on different sections of the board it grips almost as well as a regular cambered board or boards with mag. Carving is a blast on this board. All in all, if I’m still in Vancouver next winter this will be my next board for sure. I will probably still go to my PYL for powder days but this board is just sick. I sound like a Never Summer fan boy now, but this is truly super awesome board, can be a quiver killer too.

I went to my local store looking for a 153 postermania and after speaking with the stores rep he had me looking at the drake df2, arbor westmark, and rome agent and reverb rockers.

Has anyone had any experience with these boards and/or brands.

He had me sold on the DF2 but I can’t find any info online about the latest model.

Any help would be great, Cheers

Of the top of my head i think cords or freddy have been riding an Abor Westmark all season in Sweden

Pretty sure blackbanana rode the Westmark all season last season

I’m keen to hear the feedback on the westmark. The Rome rep steered me towards it or the DF2, so I would love some first hand reviews.

I obviously can’t speak about any 2014 boards since our season hasn’t started.
But I have always found the Westmark to be one of the best Arbor’s in their range in any year.
I was riding the Arbor Westmark before rockers were even invented and the Westmark was their directional twin freestyle board, camber was the only board type back then.
These days I’m riding the Arbor Relapse because I wanted to go back to camber.
But last Aus season I was on a Westmark which is now a rocker with grip tech. Carves incredibly well for a rocker. It sits in the middle of the freestyle range. Doesn’t have bronze edges like the drift, so it’s more “Park” then “Urban” which I like.

I would recommend the Westmark to almost anyone. Except XL park riders or those who need to carve at a high level.
Damn. Good. Board.

Thanks Andy, I’m thinking its perfect for what I’m after. A little bit of everything plus I’m looking at furthering my park skills.

Hope you enjoyed Japan mate.

Skip, which size board did you prefer? And how tall/kg are you? If you don’t mind me asking.

I’m 5’5” 140ish lbs. I prefer somewhere between 153-156 for all around. I think for resort riding with no pow 153-154 is good, but for pow I prefer longer board 155-157. But I think I prefer longer boards relative to my weight. I saw a lot of people bigger than me riding shorter boards in Whistler, just preference I guess.

in cm/kg I’m 165cm 63-64 kg

That Never Summer board sounds wicked, skip! Is it a hybrid?

Northern Lights - 23 April 2013 07:12 PM

Thanks Andy, I’m thinking its perfect for what I’m after. A little bit of everything plus I’m looking at furthering my park skills.

Hope you enjoyed Japan mate.

Skip, which size board did you prefer? And how tall/kg are you? If you don’t mind me asking.

If it helps, I’m 195cm and 85kg. And I always rode 159s in the arbor westmarks ( I’ve had 3 cheese )

And that’s a short board for me but worked perfectly, since it’s a full rocker. I rode it in Canada and Aus and loved it.

I’m on a Draft from Arbor and I love it. Can’t imagine myself getting any other board after this.
My husband was on a Draft and got something else cos he thought it was boring to get the same board twice when there are so many diff boards out there, and almost immediately regretted his decision. He’s going back to the Arbor ASAP.
Draft is similar to the Westmark, just more playful I think.

@Dan: Yes it’s a camber-rocker-camber hybrid but with some flat transition zone after the camber and a low profile tips. You can check the picture here in this catalog http://www.zuzupopo.com/xe/index.php?mid=catalog&category=81892&page=8&document_srl=85231

skip11 - 23 April 2013 08:14 PM

I’m 5’5” 140ish lbs. I prefer somewhere between 153-156 for all around. I think for resort riding with no pow 153-154 is good, but for pow I prefer longer board 155-157. But I think I prefer longer boards relative to my weight. I saw a lot of people bigger than me riding shorter boards in Whistler, just preference I guess.

your me.. In male form!! (although I’m a tad heavier atm.. Too much cake haha, once this season is under way I usually drop a couple of kgs pretty early in..)

and I ride a 145.. And I love that its a smaller board..

I’m 177cm and about 83kg so I’m just concerned with dropping down too small, I think 156 to 153 shouldn’t be an issue.

cords - 24 April 2013 12:23 AM

I’m on a Draft from Arbor and I love it. Can’t imagine myself getting any other board after this.
My husband was on a Draft and got something else cos he thought it was boring to get the same board twice when there are so many diff boards out there, and almost immediately regretted his decision. He’s going back to the Arbor ASAP.
Draft is similar to the Westmark, just more playful I think.

Do you mean the westmark is more playful or the draft?