The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Federal Election 2013

Mizu Kuma - 15 August 2013 09:49 PM
beachndogs - 15 August 2013 09:41 PM
Mizu Kuma - 15 August 2013 09:31 PM
beachndogs - 15 August 2013 09:24 PM
Mizu Kuma - 15 August 2013 09:18 PM
beachndogs - 15 August 2013 09:13 PM
Mizu Kuma - 15 August 2013 09:03 PM

Yeah, The Greens need every vote they can get!!!!! smirk

Which makes it easy to refuse to vote for a party whose leader does not believe in climate change. My small way of helping the planet yeah smile

Not really, cause if we don’t change our habits, it’s really only a token gesture!!!!!

And sadly, it’s Human Nature to continue wanting more!!!!! Only have to look at China & India to see examples!!!!!

Yeah, but that’s the thing miz. I live very simply. Everything I own fits into one backpack. And I don’t really want for anything, except clean air to breathe, clean water to swim in at the beach and mountains that will still have snow to board on. (okay, that’s a lie. would love a dog). I take personal responsibility for my impact on the environment. So what else is there? Well using my vote for a try a make a diff in the grander scheme of things. Start small, dream big bud!

Simply, meaning that you fly to the other side of the world in a machine that runs on fossil fuels, and is made from elements that are dug up out of the earth?????

These things didn’t happen so readily 100 years ago, and I’m pretty sure that it ain’t gonna revert back that way either!!!!!

You’re straight up missing the point Miz. Yeah, I’ve been on planes before. Never disputed that. I am not saying that people shouldn’t travel or that we are ever going to be able to completely let go of the level of consumerism that seems to have taken hold of the world, but I also make a concerted effort to minimize my impact on the environment on the regular. And what I can do is look for alternatives to the major political parties who have zero interest in assessing the feasibility or sustainability of green alternatives to fossil fuels. Just cause things seems too hard or too difficult to implement are you saying we shouldn’t even try and just stick with the status quo?!

cords - 15 August 2013 09:56 PM

happy for the barrier reef to be destroyed by mining companies then, mizu?

I’d rather live in a tent that be part of generation that is to blame for allowing something like that to happen.

No cords, I don’t like seein anythin destroyed!!!!!

But you can hardly blame those companies when you buy their products?????

So will the tent be made from petro chemicals, or from good old enviromentally grown cotton?????

Steel poles, or carbon fibre?????

I’d rather live in a tent that be part of generation that is to blame for allowing something like that to happen.

That thought has been crossing my mind a lot lately. After living in whis for 4 years, I realised how critically important being surrounded by the environment is to my happiness. Can’t ever see myself buying a house tbh, so my ultimate goal at the moment is to find a way to live simply, in a way that impacts the environment minimally. It’s not a tent but I could happily live out my days in something like this

beachndogs - 15 August 2013 10:01 PM

Which makes it easy to refuse to vote for a party whose leader does not believe in climate change. My small way of helping the planet yeah smile

Not really, cause if we don’t change our habits, it’s really only a token gesture!!!!!

And sadly, it’s Human Nature to continue wanting more!!!!! Only have to look at China & India to see examples!!!!!

Yeah, but that’s the thing miz. I live very simply. Everything I own fits into one backpack. And I don’t really want for anything, except clean air to breathe, clean water to swim in at the beach and mountains that will still have snow to board on. (okay, that’s a lie. would love a dog). I take personal responsibility for my impact on the environment. So what else is there? Well using my vote for a try a make a diff in the grander scheme of things. Start small, dream big bud!

Simply, meaning that you fly to the other side of the world in a machine that runs on fossil fuels, and is made from elements that are dug up out of the earth?????

These things didn’t happen so readily 100 years ago, and I’m pretty sure that it ain’t gonna revert back that way either!!!!!

You’re straight up missing the point Miz. Yeah, I’ve been on planes before. Never disputed that. I am not saying that people shouldn’t travel or that we are ever going to be able to completely let go of the level of consumerism that seems to have taken hold of the world, but I also make a concerted effort to minimize my impact on the environment on the regular. And what I can do is look for alternatives to the major political parties who have zero interest in assessing the feasibility or sustainability of green alternatives to fossil fuels. Just cause things seems too hard or too difficult to implement are you saying we shouldn’t even try and just stick with the status quo?!

I just don’t understand that when someone makes a political stance on the environment, then unnecessarily uses things that actually impact on the very thing that they’re trying to save?????

It’s like sayin that you are all for human rights then purchasing cheap goods from sweat shop factories that use child labour!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 15 August 2013 10:03 PM

No cords, I don’t like seein anythin destroyed!!!!!

But you can hardly blame those companies when you buy their products?????

So will the tent be made from petro chemicals, or from good old enviromentally grown cotton?????

Steel poles, or carbon fibre?????

C’mon Miz!! It is about minimizing your consumerism. It would be naive to suggest that people will stop buying products completely. Buy a tent once and then use it for 10 - 20 years. Small efforts do indeed make a difference.

Mizu Kuma - 15 August 2013 10:09 PM

I just don’t understand that when someone makes a political stance on the environment, then unnecessarily uses things that actually impact on the very thing that they’re trying to save?????

It’s like sayin that you are all for human rights then purchasing cheap goods from sweat shop factories that use child labour!!!!!

I don’t even get the point your making bud? What am I using unnecessarily? Seriously, in which of my previous posts gives you that opinion?

Mizu Kuma - 12 April 2013 07:12 PM

hehe just saw this on the first page….

How things have change since this thread was started!

well I certainly wouldn’t be buying a new tent. My mate here in sweden is probably buying this big old trailer and building a ‘wagon’ to live in.

She lives half an hour away from the biggest ski resort in sweden, so she’ll be living through a lot of sub-zero temps and snow in winter. I think she said it will have some kind of indoor wood stove or something to keep warm and dry with. She already grows a whole bunch of the food she eats. Good on her, I say!

beachndogs - 15 August 2013 10:17 PM

I don’t even get the point your making bud? What am I using unnecessarily? Seriously, in which of my previous posts gives you that opinion?

I wasn’t singling you out!!!!! Bud!!!!!

But I’m sure you don’t need to go to Whistler, or any othe place for that matter????? Just like I don’t need to!!!!!

It’s a want!!!!! And all you have to do is multiply this want by everyone that is on the same plane as you, and voila, you are participatin in a negative impact on the enviroment!!!!!

Or are you sayin that small things like that have no impact?????

Like I said before, human nature just hasn’t got the capacity to go backwards!!!!!

I’m not gonna vote for The Greens just so I can sleep easier!!!!!

cords - 15 August 2013 10:20 PM

well I certainly wouldn’t be buying a new tent. My mate here in sweden is probably buying this big old trailer and building a ‘wagon’ to live in.

She lives half an hour away from the biggest ski resort in sweden, so she’ll be living through a lot of sub-zero temps and snow in winter. I think she said it will have some kind of indoor wood stove or something to keep warm and dry with. She already grows a whole bunch of the food she eats. Good on her, I say!

Yep, it’s made from Steel!!!!!

Just like the wood stove will be!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 15 August 2013 10:27 PM

But I’m sure you don’t need to go to Whistler, or any othe place for that matter????? Just like I don’t need to!!!!!

It’s a want!!!!! And all you have to do is multiply this want by everyone that is on the same plane as you, and voila, you are participatin in a negative impact on the enviroment!!!!!

Like I said before, human nature just hasn’t got the capacity to go backwards!!!!!

Have no idea who I am voting for tbh. But yeah, you def shouldn’t vote for the greens to sleep easier at night. But back to my original point, I would however be more inclined to vote for a party that A) recognises that climate change does exist. and B) is interested in assessing the feasibility/sustainability of green alternatives to fossil fuels so that perhaps when can stop f**king our environment over to appease consumerism and big business.

importantly though, its not new steel. Its old steel….and she isn’t driving any consumer forces through using something that someone else is no longer using. The damage has already been done with that steel..

beachndogs - 15 August 2013 10:38 PM
Mizu Kuma - 15 August 2013 10:27 PM

Have no idea who I am voting for tbh. But yeah, you def shouldn’t vote for the greens to sleep easier at night. But back to my original point, I would however be more inclined to vote for a party that A) recognises that climate change does exist. and B) is interested in assessing the feasibility/sustainability of green alternatives to fossil fuels so that perhaps when can stop f**king our environment over to appease consumerism and big business.

Like I said, if there were no consumers, there’d be no demand!!!!!

Wont somebody fix the quoting!!! teacherboy

hence the move miz, by a whole bunch of people to re-use things instead of buying new stuff and be driving those exact consumer forces that you are speaking of.

To live simply in an old caravan instead of building a mcmansion & filling it with junk,...to build a wagon out of an old trailer and live in that instead, and try and grow your own food.