The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Rocker v Camber (and mixes thereof)

Oh and I popped in your height/weight details on the Burton site and it rec’s boards ranging from 145-150, with the Custom FV 148 one of them. But that’s just a guide, and like Jeremy mentioned, you may want a longer board, particularly as you have ridden a longish one always. BTW, I thought your board was a 154???

Nice thanks for the advise. Thats good to hear cause i have had my eye on the Custom for a while now.
My current board is already a 154 but wouldn’t mind going down a step.
Would a shorter board give me more control and make rotations easier?
what would i be giving up if i got a 151 or as the Burton site says 145-150 after riding a 154 for so long?

I think its a good idea to wait for the new season boards too. So i have more of an option with choice.

cheers

I think at 68kg 151 will be too short for you unless you wanna do park most of the time. It will not be as stable when going fast and will not float as well when the pow comes.

You could step down to the 151 if you really wanted to, but I agree with Skip. What you sacrifice is float in powder and stability at speeds. Granted it might be minimal but still noticeable. What you gain is maneuverability and yes it will be easier to spin and press.

You said you want to ride all-mountain, powder, kickers etc. which is why I suggested the 154. At your weight, the 154 will be more versatile for big mountain terrain.

Here’s the spec chart for the Burton Custom Flying V from burton.com. Not sure what’s going on with the board finder thing, Dan. Check out the suggested weight ranges below. He’s smack bang in the middle of the weight range for the 156.

Also keep in mind any board with rocker is more maneuverable than it’s cambered counterpart of the same size.

Yeah that is strange…

I put in 5’6’’ and 148lbs, and it recommended the FV 148???

When I put my own weight/height it picks my 160 board… But then mine is probably on the smaller scale for me. Maybe the ‘board finder’ is set on the smaller side of things. Unless I entered it somehow wrong.

Yeah I think anything less than 150 would be too small really.

board finders are crap… i ride a 152 and im 167cm 90kgs (this winter i plan to be lighter) and they say i should be on a 158 so it gives you a really rough size

Yeah personal preference is what it’s all about - it is just a guide after all.

That does sound like a fairly small board for you cable tie? What board is it?

its a DC xfb 2010 so its fairly soft/medium flex

Thanks guys thats heaps sick!
It seems i can easily hop on a 151 and be happy, i might a well stay with what i am familiar with, in regards to size.
Beside waiting for the new season gear to arrive i think i have made my choice with the Custom FV154.

Cheers

Mizu Kuma - 20 March 2011 02:21 AM

Sounds like ya more of a Park Rat with that board cable????

How’s it hold up on the groomers/pow????

To be honest its my first board and its very versatile….. in powder i had to keep it up a fair bit but i was impressed as it held up well on groomers its fine and holds a decent edge ice is not really a problem either. on small jumps and bumps and drops its perfect. i havnt tried it on boxes or rails yet nor buttering hoping to do that this year.

It is cambered so it catches edges if you get lazy. Flex is stiffer then the pbj. Im pretty happy with it for what it does all over the place cant complain. DCs descrition is here and i think they have it pretty spot on…. http://www.snowboard-review.com/snowboard_reviews/review/xfb/

also the size is perfect as i come from a skateboard background i cant see myself riding a helicopter blade size board so shorter is good for me with spins especially i think i wouldnt go lower then a 151 and no bigger then a 156

Parkway Josh - 20 March 2011 06:41 AM

Thanks guys thats heaps sick!
It seems i can easily hop on a 151 and be happy, i might a well stay with what i am familiar with, in regards to size.
Beside waiting for the new season gear to arrive i think i have made my choice with the Custom FV154.

Cheers

No worries, Josh. Do you want to talk about bindings? wink

sure! I know less about bindings than i do about boards.
My last pair (Nideker Pro800) were good for a while. But the problems were that the buckles chewed up the straps, and then eventually one of my buckles just broke off while strapping and the others are really loose now.
I guess this will happen over time.

Also by todays standards they were quite chunky and sat high off the board.

Cheers

Hey Josh,

I think Burton may not be releasing next seasons boards in Oz until later in the year, like after our season. So you may have to buy a current board or wait awhile…

Jeremy, is that right, do you know when they will be out in Oz?

Good news though, at the BW shred in Sep there will be the new seasons Burton boards to try out…

rider26 - 22 March 2011 10:03 PM

So, Burton has come on board to support the 2011 Shred. They will be supplying prizes and other items for Shred participants.

They will also be supplying demo equipment so you can test boards and bindings over the weekend. What’s more is they will be supplying a few 2012 demo boards, and you will be amongst some of the first snowboarders in Australia to test the 2012 product.

I’ll keep trying to organise more with other sponsors.  shaka

RE bindings, like Jeremy mentioned you can use channel specific Burton ones or some other brands have bindings that can attach to the channel, but with these you won’t be able to use the channel to its full potential, like with the little windows showing your angles etc. Burton also do non EST bindings. Downside to getting the EST Burton bindings though is they will only work on Burton channel boards… IMO though, if you are gonna bother getting a channel board, might as well get the EST bindings.

My bindings are the EST Cartels, and I really like them. They are fairly stiff (7 out of 10). The toe strap is so good - holds the boot in so well. I also tried the Missions (a bit cheaper than Cartels) and they were a little too soft for my liking (5/10) which made turning less responsive and a bit more work. Mind you I wasn’t using my board when I tried the Missions, so perhaps I would like them on my board??

Do you have an idea of the sort of stiffness you want in a binding? Are you current ones stiff or softer?

burton will be selling 2011 and some 2012 stuff this season