The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Rocker v Camber (and mixes thereof)

Will Signal be doing any demos any time soon in Whistler?

I have ridden on the Gullwing camber and had a absolute ball on it. It was really responsive and had tonnes of pop, yet it was still able to be really loose and fun. Unlike a full rocker board when you are trying to carve or go full flat line it actually holds it edge. I will also be trying out the C2 Gnu camber soon.
The rocker I really would like to try is the camber between the fit and rocker nose and tail.

Brandy I think your suggestion of providing some Chemical Storm boards to test ride here on Boardworld sounds like a great idea. We are a new brand and holding demo days will be a big part of marketing campaign this season. I have sent Jeremy (Boardworld) our first production board and he is currently in Canada and hopefully he’ll have a chance to test ride it and provide a review here on Boardworld. I will have a chat with him to see if we can organise something.

BTW What is ‘boardworld shred down under ‘11’? This sounds like a great event and CHEMICAL STORM would love to support it if the opportunity arises smile

Thanks again Brandy for your suggestion and will do my best to make it into a reality.

Cheers

Jeff

‘Chemical Storm is an Australian board design company crafting premium snowboards and skateboards featuring designs from the best local and international artist. We ride everything from peak to park’.

We plan to go to Thredbo as a group for the weekend and let shenanigans take place smile

Having Chemical Storm there would be sick!

Here is a link to the topic: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/1444/

Sounds awesome, you can count CHEMICAL STORM to be in on the action. I will bring some CS boards for peeps to test ride. Might even have a ‘comp’.

That is an awesome fridge Mizu!!!!

That’s awesome Mizu! I’ll have to send you more wink

I have to agree with Dan that’s a wicked fridge buddy. You have inspired me to go out and get one to store all my vodkas.

Send us an email to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) with your delivery address (again) and hoodie/t -shirt size. I think you deserve a special CS gift pack for showing us your pride n joy:)

Hey Mizu,

Got some new CS stickers (hot purple) coming in a few days. Will send you some for your vodka fridge smile

Cheers

Jeff

Still waiting for the new CS stickers to come in. Been told they should be here tomorrow. I’ll make sure to send some down b4 i head to Switzerland this Friday smile

I am in the Market for a new board and have only ridden standard Camber (Nidecker Prime 156), but looking to break into the reverse camber. Particularly the flying-V. I like idea of the hybrid tech, and all the reviews seem mostly possitive.
I love to ride all over mountain terrain, pow, natural lips and kickers and touch of the park scene.

Cheers

PS. Sup dan!

Hey Parkway Josh, welcome to Boardworld!  cool smile

How much do you weigh? What size boots do you wear? What bindings do you have?

Are you in the market for new bindings? Most Burton boards with Flying V have the Channel, so you either need binding discs compatible with the Channel or you will need Burton EST bindings.

The more info you can give us, the better we can help you. smile

Hey Joshy!!! Finally got you on BW wink Sweet!

Cool thanks!

I weigh about 65-68Kgs, about 170cms tall, have some busted arse Nidecker bindings (failed me halfway though a run at BW)
My boots are 9.5 US and 42.5 EUR (Northwave)
I am definitely looking for new bindings and love the tech of the channel, so a Burton would be ideal.

Cheers

Hey Josh,

Looking specifically at Burton boards with the Flying V, and given you want something to handle powder, all-mountain and a bit of park, your best option would be the Custom Flying V. This is actually the board Dan has been riding all season.

The Custom Flying V is super versatile with a mid-range flex pattern, slightly directional shape, and minimal setback (10mm). As you are probably aware, the Flying V has rocker between the feet and also at the nose and tail to float through powder. The Custom Flying V is still a great board for the park; twin-like shape, twin-flexing core, negative core profile, and nice mid-range flex. If you want the most versatile Flying V board and you’re riding mostly all-mountain and pow, the Custom FV is your best choice.

Depending on where you’re riding, you probably want to go for the 154. You could step down to the 151 or up to the 156, but I think the 154 is your best all-round option.

Happy to discuss other boards with you. Let me know if you have any questions.

Yeah I would definitely recommend the Custom Flying V Josh. Like Jeremy explained, it’s a real good all round board.

Although I am very happy with my Custom and the FV / hybrid shape, I have tried a couple full camber boards since buying my board, and I was a little surprised at the amount of extra edge hold and stability the camber boards provided. That’s not to say the FV does not hold an edge, but it definitely is not as good or easy as a true camber board. However, I also tried a full rocker board (Joystick, V-rocker) and it didn’t have as good an edge hold as the FV. So by no means am I trying to put you off the FV shape, I just thought I should mention that considering you have never tried anything but camber.

It would be good if you could try a board with flying V or rocker, but I know that may be a bit hard. Some of the great things about having some rocker in the board is how playful it is and the relaxed ride you get from not worrying about edges catching, as well I love how it floats in powder. the rocker would likely help for park riding, but I haven’t used it for that much. Its definitely just a nice board to ride, with exactly the amount of flex that I want. As it’s only slightly directional, it is also good for riding switch.

There are other options that Burton have with Flying V too. Off the top of my head I know there is the Sherlock and the Easy Livin Flying V. From the looks of the Easy living it’s more park/freestyle orientated. Similar tech as mine but it is twin shape and a little bit of a softer flex.

Next years Burton range may include more Flying V boards too. I think it has been pretty popular. For one, I know the Process is now coming in a FV shape too.

Jeremy, did you mention once that next years Burton boards are going to sell for less than they traditionally have in OZ??? If this is the case, unless you find a current board on a good sale, it may be worth waiting till the new range is out, which I’d imagine shouldn’t take longer than a few months.