The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

side & base edge angles

Gamblor - 06 October 2011 03:55 AM

why not email the Signal rep and link him to this thread? It’s always good to have direct input from the companies.

Ok i’ll ask the Signal guy, although I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t want to buy in.

Trav Laird used to be the Signal rep here in Australia. He isn’t running the show any more and I don’t think Signal has much representation in Australia since he left. Would be interesting to hear their point of view though.

rider26 - 06 October 2011 04:19 AM

Trav Laird used to be the Signal rep here in Australia. He isn’t running the show any more and I don’t think Signal has much representation in Australia since he left. Would be interesting to hear their point of view though.

I think Trav still works at MSC?  Maybe he could post his own opinion.

In any case, I’ve emailed the guy I’ve been in touch with in the US to see if he wants to post here.

rider26 - 06 October 2011 04:19 AM

Well now his opinion should be on the <strike>bevel</strike> level????

i have never ever changed the angle or detuned any of my boards and never had a problem.

Mizu Kuma - 06 October 2011 05:08 AM

Well now his opinion should be on the <strike>bevel</strike> level????

i see what you did there

I emailed Trav just now. smile

Gamblor - 06 October 2011 03:01 AM

Yeah, but the Signal guy recommends leaving it the way it came. What do you say to that?

Do you always need other people to tell you what to do? I prefer to think for myself.

Once again:

chucky - 02 October 2011 12:44 PM

I was riding a Signal Park Rocker for a week or so this season, and from the very first time I rode it, I got the feeling there was no base bevel. Riding flat was really squirrely, and T-bar rides were just plain nasty.

chucky - 03 October 2011 07:43 AM

The problem wasn’t ‘user error’, it was that my edges were at the wrong angle. Edge angles changed - problem fixed.

chucky - 03 October 2011 07:43 AM

Riding at the factory angles was simply not working - to get a decent ride out of the board, changing them was essential.

chucky - 02 October 2011 12:51 PM

I altered the bevels on the Signal Park Rocker by 2 degrees each (2deg/88deg - therefore maintaining the 90 degree edge), and it made a HUGE difference to the way the board rode! Literally chalk and cheese.

Gamblor - 19 July 2011 04:58 AM

//balls busted

Ya forgot this quote, chucky!!!!!  LOL

How so? I’ve never met Chucky so I don’t know what his riding ability is. How do I know he’s not a beginner that caught his edge a few times, blamed it on the equipment, got out the file and then when he didn’t slam anymore because his edges were dulled, became an expert on beveling?

My point is that Signal know how to make snowboards & sell snowboards, and they would never make something that needs a technical tuneup before you could ride it. If they did, you’d have the internet full of self-proclaimed advanced riders calling their product crap because they couldn’t ride it.

And when NIKON tell you only to use NIKON brand accessories with your NIKON camera, because they are designed that way….........

Do you follow their instructions?????

Or do you make your own decisions that are based on YOUR experiences, or experiences of others?????

your analogy is weird.

when Nikon tell me to format memory cards in the camera rather than in the computer (to avoid the possibility of corruption) I listen!

anyways, there’s no point in continuing this discussion until someone official weighs in.

Anyway, it appears to me that the appropriate question is yet to be asked/answered:

Mudhoney - 06 October 2011 12:23 AM

. . . here it is from Signal:

Boards have a 90 degree bevel on them.  I usually detune my board so that i won’t catch my edge on a rail.

The majority of boards on the market leave the factory with “a 90 degree bevel on them” - but this does not necessarily mean they have a zero degree base bevel. Most don’t - and for very good reason.

chucky - 06 October 2011 06:39 AM

Anyway, it appears to me that the appropriate question is yet to be asked/answered:

Mudhoney - 06 October 2011 12:23 AM

. . . here it is from Signal:

Boards have a 90 degree bevel on them.  I usually detune my board so that i won’t catch my edge on a rail.

The majority of boards on the market leave the factory with “a 90 degree bevel on them” - but this does not necessarily mean they have a zero degree base bevel.

It’s been asked, as clearly as I can.  I reckon I’m about 80% sure from that last answer he means zero base bevel.

Did you specifically ask, “What is the base bevel”?

chucky - 06 October 2011 06:53 AM

Did you specifically ask, “What is the base bevel”?

here are my exact words

Thanks Matt. Can you tell me what the base bevel is?