The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

side & base edge angles

Gamblor - 03 October 2011 02:45 AM

Sure, changing your angles might help you, or you could just ride the board stock no problem. I think if there’s a problem it’s more user error than ‘oh, my edges are at the wrong angle!’. . .

. . . imo it’s not essential.

There was a problem with the Signal Park Rocker the first time I rode it. The problem wasn’t ‘user error’, it was that my edges were at the wrong angle. Edge angles changed - problem fixed.

Riding at the factory angles was simply not working - to get a decent ride out of the board, changing them was essential.

chucky - 03 October 2011 07:43 AM
Gamblor - 03 October 2011 02:45 AM

Sure, changing your angles might help you, or you could just ride the board stock no problem. I think if there’s a problem it’s more user error than ‘oh, my edges are at the wrong angle!’. . .

. . . imo it’s not essential.

There was a problem with the Signal Park Rocker the first time I rode it. The problem wasn’t ‘user error’, it was that my edges were at the wrong angle. Edge angles changed - problem fixed.

Riding at the factory angles was simply not working - to get a decent ride out of the board, changing them was essential.

Off topic, but just out of interest, what did you think of the Park Rocker once you re-edged it?

Heaps of fun to ride. Not as noodly as they say, but still soft. It’s like training wheels for buttering! I wouldn’t ever want to be bombing hardpack on it, but it carved OK, and handled Spring chop/shush at speed without a problem. Overall. I rate it highly.

ok it’s confirmed, the Signal has no bevel.  here it is from Signal:

Boards have a 90 degree bevel on them.  I usually detune my board so that i won’t catch my edge on a rail.

and

I recommend leaving it the way it came.

guess i’ll just de-tune around the 4 points and see how I go.

Thanks for letting us know. If you’re going to be boardsliding rails, I’d probably detune very slightly (with a soft stone) along the whole edge, or at least between the feet. Zero degrees on a new edge is going to be catchy when sliding.

thanks, Rider.  I won’t be doing any rail sliding, but I do want to be able to spin the board flat on the snow and small airs.  I plan to just hit the tips and the four corners lightly with a diamond stone.  If it works out too catchy with default angles then I’ll think about adjusting the bevel.

Don’t just leave it! A zero degree base bevel is insane! Even World Cup racers run half a degree of base bevel!

Try one degree first, then go for more bit-by-bit until you find just the right angle. Unless you plan to only ride park, blunting your edges is even worse.

I think Never Summer also has a 0 degree bevel.

I think selling boards with a zero degree bevel is a good idea (so whoever buys them can set whatever bevel they like) - but selling boards with a zero degree bevel and not educating/informing the customer is NOT a good idea.

Yeah, but the Signal guy recommends leaving it the way it came. What do you say to that?

Gamblor - 06 October 2011 03:01 AM

Yeah, but the Signal guy recommends leaving it the way it came. What do you say to that?

Umm…........... Enjoy eating shit on a regular basis????

How about you just take a lesson and learn to snowboard? LOL

Sorry Mr Professional!!!!!

Who exactly is it that sponsors you by the way????  smirk

I am actually going to leave it as-is - aside from some light de-tuning - for now and see how I go.  I do have a pretty carve-y style as is, so I will at least give it a go before I make irreversible (or at least not easily reversed) changes.  I think skip’s comment that the Never Summer also has 0 bevel is true, and I read MU’s comments about his SL in another thread and he thought it was a much easier ride than his old Custom.

Anyway, I’ll report back around July next year whether I’ve been eating shit or riding LIKE A BOSS!

that’s the smartest thing to do Mudhoney. Ride it first and see.

Anyways, for you pro-beveling your edges crowd, why not email the Signal rep and link him to this thread? It’s always good to have direct input from the companies.