The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

side & base edge angles

i don’t see anything wrong with wanting to know how your board’s set up…

Gamblor - 02 October 2011 07:53 AM

well, put it this way: with the amount of noobs in the sport, do you think board companies would sell boards that weren’t rideable without tuning?

People are much more clued up than they once were!!!!! Gotta admit to that!!!!!  hmmm

Mudhoney - 02 October 2011 09:42 AM

i don’t see anything wrong with wanting to know how your board’s set up…

Knowledge is power, Mud!!!!!  shaka

skip11 - 01 October 2011 02:31 AM

Yea I’m pretty sure Signal boards have a 0 degree bevel. I remember reading/hearing an interview where Dave Lee (owner) said that.

This confirms my suspicions.

I was riding a Signal Park Rocker for a week or so this season, and from the very first time I rode it, I got the feeling there was no base bevel. Riding flat was really squirrely, and T-bar rides were just plain nasty.

Mizu Kuma - 01 October 2011 11:27 PM

. . . the angles can have a significant impact on how a board rides!!!!!

Absolutely right!

I altered the bevels on the Signal Park Rocker by 2 degrees each (2deg/88deg - therefore maintaining the 90 degree edge), and it made a HUGE difference to the way the board rode! Literally chalk and cheese.

One thing about edges many people don’t follow - use a file to set your bevel, but a diamond stone to maintain it.

chucky - 02 October 2011 01:02 PM

One thing about edges many people don’t follow - use a file to set your bevel, but a diamond stone to maintain it.

Yeah that’s my plan.  I have a fixed 1 degree file guide.  I will use that with a file if I decide to change my bevel, and will also use it with a diamond stone to maintain my edges.

From our tuning article here: https://www.boardworld.com.au/snowboarding/content/category/snowboard-tuning-shop-services/

—————————————————-

Edges are commonly set for 90, 89, and 88 degrees, but it is not uncommon to see edges set as sharp as 86 degrees. This is a personal preference and may require some experimentation before you decide what’s right for you. The snow conditions you ride on will influence your decision. For example, hard snow generally requires a more acute angle (88-89 degrees) for extra edge bite.

90 degrees - The classic edge angle. It provides good edge grip and is the longest lasting, as it’s the strongest edge angle.

The standard 90 degree edge is where the base edge is 0 degrees and the side edge is 90 degrees. Found on most boards direct out of the factory and it is recommended that you start with this setting until you are good enough to start experimenting.

We can also achieve a 90 degree angle by bevelling the base edge by 0.5 degree (or 1.0) and bevelling the side edge by .5 degree (or 1.0). This type of profile gives good grip with a slightly easier turn initiation than the above profile. It allows the board to roll onto the edge quicker.

88-89 degrees - Sharper than the 90 degree for better edge grip. This type of profile is for the more experienced rider looking for superior edge hold at high speed and firmer snow conditions. We can achieve a more acute angle in a number of ways (see images below).

Note, there is no right or wrong edge profile. However it is recommended that the base edge should be limited to .5 or 1 degree bevel for most snowboarders. This will achieve a good balance of edge hold and forgiveness, and good overall performance. Any more bevel than this and the board will feel unstable, loose, unpredictable, and have trouble tracking. However there are now boards being produced with higher base bevels (3 degrees) straight out of the factory. These boards are not great for carving turns but are ideal for those riders that love to jib and spend countless hours in the park. The one that works for you will depend on personal preference, snow conditions, and experimentation. The above settings are examples only.

Do you really reckon most boards still come out of the factory with 0 base bevel and 90 side angle?  Even my old Custom from 2000 had a 1 degree bevel so I’d have to wonder about that.

Yeah, my old custom was the same, and my DC also!!!!!

And pretty sure the TRice is also beveled, though snowdragon has that puppy now!!!!!

No, I don’t agree with the article. I didn’t write that article and to be honest I haven’t read it in a while.

Most boards would have a factory base bevel of approximately 1 degree (still while maintaining a 90 degree edge angle). I’m going to review the article. Thanks for pointing it out.

Mizu Kuma - 02 October 2011 11:12 AM

well, put it this way: with the amount of noobs in the sport, do you think board companies would sell boards that weren’t rideable without tuning?

People are much more clued up than they once were!!!!! Gotta admit to that!!!!!  hmmm

Don’t know the exact numbers but it’s something like over 70% of snowboarders ride less than 4 days a year. All those people don’t even know how to wax a board. For a company to put out a board that requires significant technical tuning (which is what I would call changing your edge angles) would be crazy.

Sure, changing your angles might help you, or you could just ride the board stock no problem. I think if there’s a problem it’s more user error than ‘oh, my edges are at the wrong angle!’. This thread reminds of one time when I met up with an ex-gf to ride together the next day. She spent 2 hours that night doing a full on professional wax like she was going to be competing in a TTR boardercross event…and it was her first year riding! The point is, sure you can get all tech on your board and if it’s fun then good for you, but imo it’s not essential.

Mudhoney - 03 October 2011 01:47 AM

Do you really reckon most boards still come out of the factory with 0 base bevel and 90 side angle?  Even my old Custom from 2000 had a 1 degree bevel so I’d have to wonder about that.

I removed that line from the article. It was an oversight on my part. Cheers Mudhoney!

rider26 - 03 October 2011 02:57 AM
Mudhoney - 03 October 2011 01:47 AM

I removed that line from the article. It was an oversight on my part. Cheers Mudhoney!

No worries!  Will be interested to see if Signal responds again and confirms if the OG really does have 0 bevel.

Gamblor - 03 October 2011 02:45 AM
Mizu Kuma - 02 October 2011 11:12 AM

Don’t know the exact numbers but it’s something like over 70% of snowboarders ride less than 4 days a year. All those people don’t even know how to wax a board. For a company to put out a board that requires significant technical tuning (which is what I would call changing your edge angles) would be crazy.

Sure, changing your angles might help you, or you could just ride the board stock no problem. I think if there’s a problem it’s more user error than ‘oh, my edges are at the wrong angle!’. This thread reminds of one time when I met up with an ex-gf to ride together the next day. She spent 2 hours that night doing a full on professional wax like she was going to be competing in a TTR boardercross event…and it was her first year riding! The point is, sure you can get all tech on your board and if it’s fun then good for you, but imo it’s not essential.

And the same proportion of drivers on the roads wouldn’t know how to change a flat tyre properly either!!!!!

You can talk f-stop till the cows come home, yet a newbie photographer can still come up with a great pic off a mobile phone that they had just bought from Target!!!!!

This doesn’t stop you talkin tech about photography, and on the same hand shouldn’t stop anyone from talkin tech about snowboards!!!!!

kiss